Does Any Team That Passed on Josh in 2018 Draft NOT Regret It?

st pete gogolak

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

Almost four years out.  Regrets, there are a few.

Cleveland - Baker Mayfield.  Uh, yeah.  If they had picked Josh, their 2018 draft could have ranked with '74 Steelers (Allen, Ward, Nick Chubb).

NY Giants - Saquon Barkley.  Uh yeah.  Compounded mistake of picking a RB too high with a top ten pick of Daniel Jones the following year.  

NY Jets - Sam Darnold.  Uh, yeah.

Cleveland- D. Ward.  If they had drafted Allen #1, this would have been an ok pick.

Denver - B. Chubb.  Uh yeah.  They decided that they were good with Case Keenum and have cycled through Drew Lock and Teddy Bridgewater (am I missing anyone?).

Indy - Q. Nelson.  This is at least an interesting discussion.  All Pro guard for next 10 years and future Hall of Famer.  Plus they've been able to plug in Rivers and Wentz for passable QB play.  On the whole, however, yeah.  

TB - Traded with Buff.  Took Vita Vea at #12 and picked up a couple of CB's in Round 2.  Also ended up clearing the way for Brady in a round about way.  Doubt there are any regrets here.  You win a Super Bowl, you don't ask what if.

I have a couple of friends who are Giants fans. When I said to one of them that New Jersey NFC was foolish to take a RB that high over a potential franchise QB, his response was, "You're not a Giants fan, why do you care?" 😂 I don't bro. I hope they never win anything ever again. I also remember thinking after Gettleman made that pick that it was the first nail in his eventual coffin.

They have no regrets about Nelson for sure but a franchise QB is priceless.

35 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

but Buffalo passed on Mahomes

people in glass houses…..

McDermott is on record as saying that he was not comfortable taking a QB in that draft without his GM in place. He was hired before Beane. Passing on Mahomes could have been a mistake but they ended up with Tre White and Josh Allen. Their gamble more than paid off. This is far from a "people in glass houses" situation and a silly retort on your part. Maybe know your team before chiming in with an ill-advised snark.

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Elway has no eye for QB play, which is surprising. The list of QBs he's drafted is terrible.

Brock Osweiler

Zac Dysert

Trevor Seimian

Paxton Lynch

Chad Kelly

Drew Lock

I mean, that's a list worthy of the drought-era Bills.

When it comes easy for some athletes, they have trouble as coaches (in Elway's case, GM)  because they feel like it should come easy to anyone.

This thread is annoying. key point proved by BUF with #17: NFL teams must keep swinging at a top 10 QBs until they hit. BUF tried the stupid approach of 2nd tier (for yrs!!). 

Cards show the way!!. They picked the wrong Josh 2018, but saw it…then Murray 2019 to fix.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

OK then...the Giants will not regret it after Barkley rips off 2500 yards next year...

He's averaging 3.5 yards per carry so they're going to have to hand the ball off to him about 42 times a game.

Edited by Doc Brown

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He's averaging 3.5 yards per carry so they're going to have to hand the ball off to him about 45 times a game.

I don't think he's reached the grade that teaches algebra 

Edited by flaz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

Almost four years out.  Regrets, there are a few.

Cleveland - Baker Mayfield.  Uh, yeah.  If they had picked Josh, their 2018 draft could have ranked with '74 Steelers (Allen, Ward, Nick Chubb).

NY Giants - Saquon Barkley.  Uh yeah.  Compounded mistake of picking a RB too high with a top ten pick of Daniel Jones the following year.  

NY Jets - Sam Darnold.  Uh, yeah.

Cleveland- D. Ward.  If they had drafted Allen #1, this would have been an ok pick.

Denver - B. Chubb.  Uh yeah.  They decided that they were good with Case Keenum and have cycled through Drew Lock and Teddy Bridgewater (am I missing anyone?).

Indy - Q. Nelson.  This is at least an interesting discussion.  All Pro guard for next 10 years and future Hall of Famer.  Plus they've been able to plug in Rivers and Wentz for passable QB play.  On the whole, however, yeah.  

TB - Traded with Buff.  Took Vita Vea at #12 and picked up a couple of CB's in Round 2.  Also ended up clearing the way for Brady in a round about way.  Doubt there are any regrets here.  You win a Super Bowl, you don't ask what if.

It feels so good to FINALLY have the QB that other teams covet instead of wanting other teams’ QBs.

52 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

I’d much rather have JA than PM. Not even close! So glad it worked out the way it did.

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think Elway was hesitant because he had just missed on a QB.  

And?..  I don’t regret that. 

Yea I don’t either I really think Allen and mahomes play the same way both are top 3. Only difference is mahomes has one of the best OC you can get and a better over all team. 

If I recall, the big knock against Allen when he was drafted was that his "accuracy" was not very good ...  and those naysayers claimed accuracy could not be taught. I guess the argument was that accuracy was some sort of innate skill or talent that only God could bestow. Well, the Bills' brain trust saw a baller and decided he could become a franchise QB. Not every front office can  cut though the baloney and see the talent lying below the surface.

The question then becomes, which teams had the patience (and luxury) to develop a raw talent into a HOF candidate. Apparently, only one. And damn I'm glad the Bills were the one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If Allen had played in his final college year at Wyoming the way he played the year prior, likely he may have been the #1 overall pick or at worst maybe would have likely been picked by the Jets at #3 IMO and/or other teams trying to trade up.

It was an interesting overall QB class, very deep group, one of the most talked about ever, but every one of them had a risk attached to them.  There wasn't a Trevor Lawrence or an Andrew Luck in the group that year, though at this point Allen is playing as well as Luck ever did and Lawrence will have to improve alot to get there.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I have a couple of friends who are Giants fans. When I said to one of them that New Jersey NFC was foolish to take a RB that high over a potential franchise QB, his response was, "You're not a Giants fan, why do you care?" 😂 I don't bro. I hope they never win anything ever again. I also remember thinking after Gettleman made that pick that it was the first nail in his eventual coffin.

McDermott is on record as saying that he was not comfortable taking a QB in that draft without his GM in place. He was hired before Beane. Passing on Mahomes could have been a mistake but they ended up with Tre White and Josh Allen. Their gamble more than paid off. This is far from a "people in glass houses" situation and a silly retort on your part. Maybe know your team before chiming in with an ill-advised snark.

What I recall him saying was he wasn't comfortable taking a QB in his 1sst year as he hadn't had time to study them the season prior when they were still playing in college as he was not yet a HC in the NFL.

Either way, there was a reason they didn't select PM or any QB that year in the top of the draft.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, RunninRebel37 said:

C’mon bro 🧐

If it wasn’t clear enough for you, yes, if I could take Allen or Mahomes right now… I’m taking Allen.  

It was always going to take Allen a few years to get to this level, and now that he has, his ceiling is higher than Mahomes and he’s built to play in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The Browns could've had Nelson at #1 and Allen at #4.

At the time, I thought the Browns should have taken Barkley #1 overall and the best QB left at #4. Probably wouldn't have worked out well for them.  They actually made smart picks, Mayfield should be better than he's playing this season.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

What a knucklehead comment. We traded the pick and drafted Tre’davious White. Then drafted Josh Allen the following year. Are you saying you’d rather have Mahomes than Allen and White? If so, gtfoh.

Fixed it.

51 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Again.  

INDY had Luck at the time, in his prime!! 

Imagine Luck with this running gm n defense? 

They'd be the 1 seed imo.

I listen Wfan NYC alot while driving and the fans and radio guys are all now calling Saquon a complete bust, saying he def won't get a 2nd contract there. 

Reminds me of Gurley but I believe he got that big 2nd contract before LA cut ties. 

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

This, and let’s not forget hindsight is 20/20.  Allen was an unknown and a ‘project’ QB (as labeled by the ‘experts’) coming out of college. I freaking love that we struck gold with Allen… but even many, many Bills fans thought we got the Wrong Josh when Goodell made that announcement…

Imagine the disaster if we had actually drafted Josh Rosen?  And I still wonder which QB we would’ve drafted if we had the #1 pick.

So Your question is - based on performance and or a re-draft - should Josh have been the first pick taken ?  Yes, si, oui, da...

I admit being disappointed that evening when I heard the Bills drafted Josh as I bought into the accuracy issue;  the U of Wyoming is not big time competition and his stats junior to senior were subpar; this kid is a reach after all the trading-up we did, etc, etc.

The reigning first pick  - Baker 0- is a pocket qb who has and will have plenty of big games - reminds me of favre - pocket passer, limited mobility, gun-slinger - plays behind an outstanding line but not the best receiving corp ?

The best of the rest - Nelson - love this guy but a hall-of-fame guard versus hall-of-game qb ?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.