CFB Playoffs: Cotton Bowl/ UC v Bama

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah, I get why Kelce would want to be there but not a great look by either of them to have gone to Dallas when they have a huge game in Cincy in less than 48 hours 

Probably a bad look, but the kind of thing no one will remember if they win. These things are only remembered when your team losses. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yes, because Bama will probably do the same thing to Georgia or Michigan next game. Notre Dame would probably  be down 35-0 by this point, considering their playoff history. Bama is just ridiculously better than everyone in college football. The other SEC has been average in Bowl games, so I don’t think group of 5 teams should be punished, regardless of outcome here. Bama just makes everyone look awful. Unfortunately, some will use it to fuel an anti mid major bias. 

Then they should make the National Championship just beating Alabama. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Desmond Ridder isn't making a case for him being a starting caliber NFL QB. 

He's reminded me a lot of Brad Kaaya but with better wheels.   Can't see how that's first round with all the QB talent in the NFL now.........but Kaaya was grossly overrated by draftniks as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, they definitely didn’t face the toughest competition every week, but if being embarrassed by Bama is the metric, Georgia are poseurs as well. Ironically, Georgia could be facing Bama for the title. 

Georgia absolute poseurs

Every recruit class Saban has had at Bama has won a National championship.  That’s crazy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, TailgateChef said:

Could OSU have provided a better match up?  Maybe Baylor?

This is why I really want to see the playoff field expanded. It would provide opportunity for better matchups. Giving OSU or Baylor a chance is far more appealing than a Bama/Georgia rematch. I’ll be rooting big for Michigan. I’m fine with Georgia being in the field, but I’d love to see more teams to mix things up a bit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

This is why I really want to see the playoff field expanded. It would provide opportunity for better matchups.

Only in the early rounds, maybe.

How competitive will 1 v 8 and 2 v 7 be?

Those games will probably be consistent blow outs.

What do you expect will happen when the winners of the others 2 games face 1 and 2?

How many of those games will be blowouts?

6 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Giving OSU or Baylor a chance is far more appealing than a Bama/Georgia rematch. I’ll be rooting big for Michigan. I’m fine with Georgia being in the field, but I’d love to see more teams to mix things up a bit. 

In the end, if the NC game ended up is still Bama vs UGA, did it matter?

8 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

Noticed that as well.  Does it have anything to do with Doug Marrone (who is now the Alabama line coach - Oh Doug....)?

No.

Bama has been using the cards with the NFL teams since Kiffin was the OC.

16 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Yes, because Bama will probably do the same thing to Georgia or Michigan next game. Notre Dame would probably  be down 35-0 by this point, considering their playoff history. Bama is just ridiculously better than everyone in college football. The other SEC has been average in Bowl games, so I don’t think group of 5 teams should be punished, regardless of outcome here. Bama just makes everyone look awful. Unfortunately, some will use it to fuel an anti mid major bias. 

I wish I could agree with you buy imo Georgia is WAY better than you seem to think they are. In fact, I read somewhere that Georgia is opening at minus 3 1/2.

What I am confused about it the quality of the Big Ten in 2021. I just can't tell how good they are and after the GA/Mich  game I am even more confused.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I wish I could agree with you buy imo Georgia is WAY better than you seem to think they are. In fact, I read somewhere that Georgia is opening at minus 3 1/2.

What I am confused about it the quality of the Big Ten in 2021. I just can't tell how good they are and after the GA/Mich  game I am even more confused.

I think Georgia is a very good football team. I just don’t think they’re that close to Alabama. It’s been proven year after year, and they took a beating in the SEC title game. I’m not saying Georgia can’t win the title, although Alabama is the better team, upsets do happen. Alabama with Saban is in a class of their own. They’re only slowed by occasional outliers like Clemson who are able to match them certain years.

This seems to be another season where no one can match Bama. Regarding the Big Ten, I think the Big Ten was mediocre. Ohio State was one of the few teams with anything that resembled a real offense, and that conference doesn’t have enough speed. I can’t help but to see the college game as Bama, and everyone else though. It goes beyond which conference is the best, it’s simply Bama being better than everyone, including the SEC. Bama has done more for the image of its conference than any team in history. 

• Like (+1) 2

-2.5 now

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I think Georgia is a very good football team. I just don’t think they’re that close to Alabama. It’s been proven year after year, and they took a beating in the SEC title game. I’m not saying Georgia can’t win the title, although Alabama is the better team, upsets do happen. Alabama with Saban is in a class of their own. They’re only slowed by occasional outliers like Clemson who are able to match them certain years.

This seems to be another season where no one can match Bama. Regarding the Big Ten, I think the Big Ten was mediocre. Ohio State was one of the few teams with anything that resembled a real offense, and that conference doesn’t have enough speed. I can’t help but to see the college game as Bama, and everyone else though. It goes beyond which conference is the best, it’s simply Bama being better than everyone, including the SEC. Bama has done more for the image of its conference than any team in history. 

I will tell you that I am 100% positive that this Alabama team is simply not as good as the 2020 team. i don't even think that it is close. The 6 tremendous players that they lost on offense are kicking ass in then NFL as rookies. The thing is, I get the feeling that many other teams also got worse. Perhaps Oklahoma, Ohio State, and certainly Clemson are examples. 

I am not overly confident coming into the title game. It makes me uncomfortable because the last time I felt like this was when Clemson beat us. But as you imply, Saban teams almost always have a good shot at winning. He is in a class with no other.

• Like (+1) 1

I will tell you that I am 100% positive that this Alabama team is simply not as good as the 2020 team. i don't even think that it is close. The 6 tremendous players that they lost on offense are kicking ass in then NFL as rookies. The thing is, I get the feeling that many other teams also got worse. Perhaps Oklahoma, Ohio State, and certainly Clemson are examples. 

I am not overly confident coming into the title game. It makes me uncomfortable because the last time I felt like this was when Clemson beat us. But as you imply, Saban teams almost always have a good shot at winning. He is in a class with no other.

Saban and the current term would say the same thing.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.