Antonio Williams released

Giuseppe Tognarelli

7 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Ah, man, I just ordered his jersey!

Don't worry. Even though Daryl is the only Williams currently on the team, once McDerrmott & Beane realize they're at the lowest total of Williams since they got here they'll be signing/drafting several & if you're luck one of them will get Antonio's number and you can wear it on opening day next season.  

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

New for 2021: Velcro nameplates!

I once had a Trent Edwards jersey, wore it to a game & he got cut a week or 2 later.  I took scissors and cut his name out of the jersey.  

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, not really that big of a surprise even though I was curious about him after his out of no where game against Miami.  But even when we seemed to need to make a change or to get a boost at RB he was not considered.  And we had the roster space with all the injuries or covid stuff, so he clearly had not shown the staff he had anything more to offer over the 3 guys ahead of him.

After his surprise game against Miami, there were reasons to be curious to see what he could do with some opportunities.  But he never really showed anything after that that I can recall.  Didn't really hear much praise about him in camp while guys like Devin, Moss, and Brieda were doing well.  Then in preseason he didn't do much with that either.  

Wish him well though in his career

49 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

WTF?!?! Why? Seriously? I know he was just on the PS but he's actually shown something in a regular-season game.

A half of a game where the other team has given up in the last game of the year doesn't take precedence over everything else that has happened since then. Maybe the dude just doesn't get it. They see him in practice everyday...they have far more to go off of than we do.

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Don't worry. Even though Daryl is the only Williams currently on the team, once McDerrmott & Beane realize they're at the lowest total of Williams since they got here they'll be signing/drafting several & if you're luck one of them will get Antonio's number and you can wear it on opening day next season.  

I once had a Trent Edwards jersey, wore it to a game & he got cut a week or 2 later.  I took scissors and cut his name out of the jersey.  

Had I known of your powers I would have bought you a Bobby Hart jersey and tix to the ATL game for Christmas.

• Haha (+1) 2

The likely reasons for his release, in approximate order of likelihood:

5. Was neither humble nor hungry
4. Was no longer comprised of iron, and thus unable to sharpen other iron
3. Did not display a growth mindset

2. Was not doing his one eleventh
1. Did not respect the process

• Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

it’s almost as if the actual coaches and talent evaluators never make mistakes.  Meanwhile we kept ford, feliciano, Ike and bates over Wyatt Teller. 

he flashed some good ability and seems to fit our scheme.  I don’t think he’s an RB1 by any means, but he could be a contributor.  I trust him more than I do Brieda.

So you trust a guy with a half of a game’s worth of playing time against a team who clearly quit that half over a guy who, while yes has had fumbling issues, has all world speed and has shown the ability to have big games and break big plays? Brieda might not be a workhorse #1 back, but he’s better than Williams

44 minutes ago, NewEra said:

it’s almost as if the actual coaches and talent evaluators never make mistakes.  Meanwhile we kept ford, feliciano, Ike and bates over Wyatt Teller. 

he flashed some good ability and seems to fit our scheme.  I don’t think he’s an RB1 by any means, but he could be a contributor.  I trust him more than I do Brieda.

Trust him to do...what?

The guy has had 13 career touches and they all came in 1 game over a year ago.  

• Like (+1) 1

Let's just remember that these coaches didn't see what McKenzie and Bates truly could do until their hands were forced. Today I read a thing where McDermott said they were trying to protect Bates cause he could play all positions. Seriously? All the while our OL was caving in and our QB was running for his life.

I have no problem with the staff trusting veterans more than newer talent. You only need to see the Sanders show to know this is true. But c'mon. We have so much talent on this roster. It's just being underutilized IMHO.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Not upset by this.  For some reason our fanbase gets really enamored with project players (Duke Williams, Christian Wade, Antonio Williams).  When these types get released people seem so perplexed...it's almost as though the actual coaches and talent evaluators in the NFL know more than fans.

[Michael Jasper has entered the chat]

• Haha (+1) 4

57 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So you trust a guy with a half of a game’s worth of playing time against a team who clearly quit that half over a guy who, while yes has had fumbling issues, has all world speed and has shown the ability to have big games and break big plays? Brieda might not be a workhorse #1 back, but he’s better than Williams

Yes.  I trust Williams more than the guy who has shown to have a low football Iq and fumbling issues.  A guy that couldn’t earn any PT with the dolphins.  He’s better than Williams if he’s not giving the ball away.  But he does.  And he can’t pass protect.  And he can’t play ST.  He’s a one trick pony.  

that said, Breida may be the better back as Williams’ sample size is so small.  But he contributes to more aspects of a football team than Breida does.  Pass pro, ST, can run up the middle.  

Not that I really care tbh…..i realIzed that Williams would likely never get a shot here. I’m not upset or angry, I just liked what I saw in a small sample size

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.