Big Ben might, might not, maybe, but probably retiring.

aristocrat

34 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean he has been terrible, why would Pittsburgh even want him back...it's time to accept he doesn't have it.

He hasn’t been great, but he’s been far from terrible this year. The Steelers just aren’t a real good team

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Notice it said "likely" and "at Heinz Field." What wasn't said was "as a QB" or "a Steelers QB" or a "NFL job haver." If Fitz can earn a paycheck at his age, no reason Ben can't. This tweet can be true simply by him signing with an NFC team or a team that doesn't play PIT next year. 

I suspect he is keeping his options open.  He will probably retire, but we all can see what QBs are making these days.  If some team gets stupid with an offer……..  Or maybe he can step in on a championship team mid/late season after their starter gets injured. It’s not like he has bothered to be in shape to play any other season. 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I actually don't think he's going to retire - I think he meant that it's his last game playing for the Steelers at Heinz Field.  I think he thinks (incredibly) that he can still play, and I suspect we'll see one of those sad late-career "I've still got it" tours where he tries to latch onto some new team in need of a veteran QB.

Yeah I think he definitely wants to keep playing but not sure there is a desire anywhere for what he brings to the table at this point.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I actually don't think he's going to retire - I think he meant that it's his last game playing for the Steelers at Heinz Field.  I think he thinks (incredibly) that he can still play, and I suspect we'll see one of those sad late-career "I've still got it" tours where he tries to latch onto some new team in need of a veteran QB.

He can still play. He looks at the crappy QB’s out there and is probably thinking that if they can hide wentz and Mac Jones behind elite lines and running backs, he can surely do better than those guys.

His arm strength at 40 with a bad elbow is better than Mac Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Here's an interesting question. Would you rather have Roethlisberger since 2004 and no Allen now or Allen now? Because if we had gotten Roethlisberger, we probably never would have gotten Allen.

It depends on if we won any Super Bowls or not.  If we had won at least 1 Super Bowl with Ben, I'd rather have won that Super Bowl (or multiple Super Bowls) instead of wondering if Josh can win one before I die.  

When you ask an old man like me, who probably won't make it to the end of Josh's career, I'd rather have had 18 years of Roethlisberger while I had plenty of time left.  I guess a 20 year old, who is almost certain to see Josh's total career & would have missed a lot of Roethlisberger's would have the opposite answer.  

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Here's an interesting question. Would you rather have Roethlisberger since 2004 and no Allen now or Allen now? Because if we had gotten Roethlisberger, we probably never would have gotten Allen.

Allen now. He is going to do things Ben never dreamed of.

40 minutes ago, mannc said:

He hasn’t been great, but he’s been far from terrible this year. The Steelers just aren’t a real good team

Depends on your definition I guess...a dude whose arm is shot and can only throw 10 yard passes like Brees last year isn't going to do much.

43 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

good question. Would take Ben R. Three super bowl appearances; two

super bowl wins; winning season every year.  Great in the clutch. Tough to argue with 18 straight years of success. 

i was watching some of the Steelers/cards 2008 super bowl last night (madden’s last game as an announcer). It is really something to watch Ben in that game in his prime. Scrambling, improvising, pump fakes, throwing darts. His GW TD throw to Holmes in the back of the endzone has to be a top-5 SB throw of all time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Wasn’t just a few seasons ago when some of our posters here were really high on Mason Rudolph ?  Maybe he still has more to show lol

I remember that vividly.

I didn’t want him but I must admit I thought the Steelers at the time made a very good pick. 

Edited by BillsfaninSB

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Allen now. He is going to do things Ben never dreamed of.

Depends on your definition I guess...a dude whose arm is shot and can only throw 10 yard passes like Brees last year isn't going to do much.

IMO, he is not throwing 10-yard passes because his arm is shot. It’s because his line is still a mess, and he can’t take the hits he used to. He can still sling it pretty good if he needs to.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Wasn’t just a few seasons ago when some of our posters here were really high on Mason Rudolph ?  Maybe he still has more to show lol

I only remember talk pre-draft.  After he got a chance to play, no one who wasn't high was really high on him anymore.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.