Anyone else sensing a Bates dilemma?

BillnutinHouston

It’s not a dilemma, keep him at guard. Next year we draft another guard to replace the overpaid Williams. We jettison Ford. Morse retires and we use Feliciano at Center. That gains salary cap room so we can get a decent DE for once because Jerry is toast. 

• Agree 1

Good article on Ryan, er I mean Rick, Bates

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/12/just-call-him-rick-bills-ryan-bates-creating-buzz-having-time-of-his-life.html

McDermott wouldn’t commit to a plan at left guard moving forward on Wednesday. Jon Feliciano was activated off the Covid list and could reclaim his spot. But Bates isn’t worried too much about it. He’s too busy having the time of his life.

“This past game was fun. I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun playing football,” Bates said. “We’re on a roll and we’re gonna be dangerous down the stretch now. I’ll tell you right now we’ve always been dangerous, don’t get me wrong, but right now this team is on fire.”

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure what the dilemma should be, most knew he was a viable option and should have played sooner.

And at this point you can use Feliciano to be the backup center/guard and keep him on the bench where he belongs.

Either way for this team to have a realistic chance to make a deep playoff run this oline must perform at the same level (or very close) to what they did against the Patriots.

• Agree 1

The line that finished the game against the Patsies, should be the line that starts against the Falcons. Simple as.

I saw more cohesiveness in that group, than I've seen from any other of the myriad groupings we've used this season.

Bates should definitely start at LG, the only other possible change could be Feliciano at RG for Williams - but I certainly wouldn't start with that.

They weren't perfect, but they looked like a unit, not a random selection of big uglies. ;)

30 minutes ago, Buddo said:

The line that finished the game against the Patsies, should be the line that starts against the Falcons. Simple as.

I saw more cohesiveness in that group, than I've seen from any other of the myriad groupings we've used this season.

Bates should definitely start at LG, the only other possible change could be Feliciano at RG for Williams - but I certainly wouldn't start with that.

They weren't perfect, but they looked like a unit, not a random selection of big uglies. ;)

So with the exception of Bates at LG, the same line we have had since Brown took over at RT? Sounds like a plan.🤔

• Like (+1) 1

Bates looks like the Golden Ticket they were gifted in exchange for giving away Teller.  

It's pretty amazing how one teams trash is another teams prize.  

Player evaluation has so many intricacies.  This morning I've read a few articles on Bates.  None from NFL Front Offices but scouting reports that I suspect are words written by some guy that was regurgitating what NFL Personnel have said in sound bites while scouting Bates or seeing him at the combine or sometime since.

He's a road grade run blocker.

His only weakness is run blocking.

He's a Tackle.

He'll never play tackle.

He can only play Guard.

He can fill any position on the OL.

The combination of reports goes on and on. 

These guys (Teller, Bates) were guys that just needed time to develop.  Some players peak in college, get drafted high and then suck in the NFL.

Some guys don't peek until year 3 in the NFL and they turn out to be absolute steals as late picks or FA's because some player development guy saw something that no one else did.

Regardless, the Bills OL is stocked with depth. Especially with Morse still there with one more year on his contract.  Spencer Brown struggled mightily filling in at LT, and the plan wasn't for him to start at RT as much this year, but here we are.  And guess what?  I remember watching Anthony Munoz get absolutely embarrassed by Sherman White in his rookie year. Only one of those two guys is in the HoF.

The O Line struggled through a lot of Covid and injury issues this year.  I'm looking forward to how well this unit looks if they can stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, OnTheRocks said:

Bates looks like the Golden Ticket they were gifted in exchange for giving away Teller.  

It's pretty amazing how one teams trash is another teams prize.  

Player evaluation has so many intricacies.  This morning I've read a few articles on Bates.  None from NFL Front Offices but scouting reports that I suspect are words written by some guy that was regurgitating what NFL Personnel have said in sound bites while scouting Bates or seeing him at the combine or sometime since.

He's a road grade run blocker.

His only weakness is run blocking.

He's a Tackle.

He'll never play tackle.

He can only play Guard.

He can fill any position on the OL.

The combination of reports goes on and on. 

These guys (Teller, Bates) were guys that just needed time to develop.  Some players peak in college, get drafted high and then suck in the NFL.

Some guys don't peek until year 3 in the NFL and they turn out to be absolute steals as late picks or FA's because some player development guy saw something that no one else did.

Regardless, the Bills OL is stocked with depth. Especially with Morse still there with one more year on his contract.  Spencer Brown struggled mightily filling in at LT, and the plan wasn't for him to start at RT as much this year, but here we are.  And guess what?  I remember watching Anthony Munoz get absolutely embarrassed by Sherman White in his rookie year. Only one of those two guys is in the HoF.

The O Line struggled through a lot of Covid and injury issues this year.  I'm looking forward to how well this unit looks if they can stay healthy.

I was just going to post something similar.

eli Harold for Ryan Bates is another great Beane move.  We lost Teller, but gained Bates.  The line has really played great since Bates started.

going forward Dawkins-Bates-Morse-X-Brown is solid.  Next year we add bad ass RG, backup to groom behind Morse, swing tackle, resign Levi and Harrison- these Bills are built to win long term!

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:04 AM, Locomark said:

It’s not a dilemma, keep him at guard. Next year we draft another guard to replace the overpaid Williams. We jettison Ford. Morse retires and we use Feliciano at Center. That gains salary cap room so we can get a decent DE for once because Jerry is toast. 

Considering that McDermott and Daboll and Josh have all been heaping praise on Morse as having his best season this year and so forth, moving on from Morse doesn’t seem likely to be on the menu.  And no, Feliciano is not a better center than Morse.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.