Anyone else sensing a Bates dilemma?

BillnutinHouston

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Besides Bates, Morse, and Feliciano, who else plays center.   Last month when they wouldn't play Bates, Felicinao was out, so the only backup possible was Bates unless there's someone else I'm missing.  This week have two options so would agree, they could start Bates.

Last year they had all 3 healthy for games 8 and 11-16.  And my point was keeping a guy out of the starting lineup out of fear he's going to get hurt and not be able to backup another guy seems silly, if he's the best option to start elsewhere.

Is there a reason we couldn't use Feliciano for running plays and Bates for pass protection? I mean obviously the other team would figure out what we were doing pretty quickly but that could also work in our favor if we switch it up and catch them off guard. That would keep the defense honest and allow us to use our best guys for the situation.

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Right now he is probably the 6 or 7th best lineman.  Top five Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Williams, Brown.  Bates can play center.  He is what he is.  He is the break glass in case of emergency lineman.  Behind him its a grease fire.

Bates hasn't gotten the opportunity to play over the past 2 years so it's difficult to say.  But if you watch the tape (each play) from Sunday and compare our 2 Guards from the game - Williams and Bates, who played better?....Bates did, trust me I've watched it and it's not even close.  Is Bates better than Williams?  Not saying that from one game, but I know he played better Sunday.  Give him another start, lets see what happens.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He got wrecked on more than a couple occasions, but I’d rather give him a shot rather than Feliciano.  Ford had been playing a little better, but I don’t think he’s been playing any LG this year.  Hopefully we don’t have to have this conversation again next season

Feliciano was in the hospital for the Panthers game with covid, and a week later watched the Pats game on his couch and an IV drip in his arm. Giving JF any meaningful playing time is either highly irresponsible or it means we are in a really tough spot. There is no way he is in good enough shape to play quality NFL football with any consistency. 

I think Bates has earned another game to start. I think he looked a little better at RG than he did on the left side. I also thought that Cody Ford looked the best he ever did when he as playing next to Dion at LG before he got hurt last year. I think our best line combo is Dion-Ford-Morse-Bates-Brown. That’s what I would do. Bates seems very good in pass pro and your RG often times winds up with a 1 on 1. I think Williams has been ok, but not great. Having Williams and Feliciano on the bench is bot the worst thing. 

With the drafting of Brown and Doyle, who both scored elite RAS, as well as the Lamp (also elite) signing and even drafting of Jack Anderson, I hope they have realized the need for more athletic linemen in the league today. In fact, I hope they can get Anderson or Lamp back if they wind up on practice squads again. 

Another great thing about having Bates in there is that he has to know the pass protection calls on the same level as Morse. Essentially, you have two protection experts on the same line, so I saw what looked to be much better communication and execution in pass pro the other day. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He's a good depth player due to this versatility. However he's easily upgradable and we should hope that Beane feels the need to address the OL with players not currently on the roster this time.

It's hard to know if he is easily upgradeable or not. He has barely played. He could turn out to be a strong starter one day, or maybe he has reached his ceiling as a backup already. We just don't know.

I personally have always liked what I have seen from him and I want to see more.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Bates is the quickest and most athletic  lineman we have, next to Spencer Brown.

And it was noticable against the Pats. He was flying around... In fact, he kind of reminds me of the type of lineman the Pats always seem to find at the end of the draft or as an UDFA, who ends up starting for them for years...

I imagine we'll get Ford back before Feleciano... 

What will Sean do?

Doyle was almost as athletic as Brown and edges out Bates on RAS. Not that I’m arguing he should play cause his technique still has a ways to go. Hoping he can be swing tackle next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Bates has earned another game to start. I think he looked a little better at RG than he did on the left side. I also thought that Cody Ford looked the best he ever did when he as playing next to Dion at LG before he got hurt last year. I think our best line combo is Dion-Ford-Morse-Bates-Brown. That’s what I would do. Bates seems very good in pass pro and your RG often times winds up with a 1 on 1. I think Williams has been ok, but not great. Having Williams and Feliciano on the bench is bot the worst thing. 

With the drafting of Brown and Doyle, who both scored elite RAS, as well as the Lamp (also elite) signing and even drafting of Jack Anderson, I hope they have realized the need for more athletic linemen in the league today. In fact, I hope they can get Anderson or Lamp back if they wind up on practice squads again. 

Another great thing about having Bates in there is that he has to know the pass protection calls on the same level as Morse. Essentially, you have two protection experts on the same line, so I saw what looked to be much better communication and execution in pass pro the other day. 

I totally agree. For some reason when Ford plays LG you tend to notice less mistakes. And I think Ryan has more than earned more opportunities,  even at RG next to Spencer.  I've never been a big Boettger fan and Feliciano has been inconsistent. 

• Like (+1) 2

My opinion doesn't count but it seems he deserves to start.  If things go south Feliciano can come in.

I would like to know how much in the past Bobby Johnson's input is used by McDermott as to who starts.

None of us know if a guy like Bates hasn't played much because of one or the other or both.

Wouldn't that be a good question from the media for McDermott?

4 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

By most if not all accounts, Rick Bates played quite well Sunday, which especially with current OL availability issues raises the question of whether he will or should start at G going forward.  

All year (and before) he seems to have been kept in reserve as the backup C, but at what point do you throw caution to the wind, gamble on Morse staying healthy and putting your best 5 out onto the field?

McD was asked about this after the game but immediately deflected the question.  

Curious to see what you all think about this.

Rick Bates. Is this Master's son?

Of course, we know Bates is the most versatile backup offensive lineman Buffalo has.  However, I suspect Buffalo would regard using him at tackle as a last resort.  Practically speaking he's an interior lineman who could move outside in case of disaster, a disaster that likely is never happening, especially if Tommy Doyle develops as a decent backup as a swing tackle.  As has been noted, Feliciano can play center.  I think all the guards (Feliciano, Williams, Ford and of course Bates) can play either side of the center if need be.  I didn't mention Boettger since he's out the rest of the year.  The bottom line is I don't think Bates' vaunted versatility is so precious that Buffalo can't use him to start over another interior offensive lineman if Bates is better.  Buffalo should start their 5 best offensive linemen, even if one of them is Bates.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I think im replacing 4 out of 5 linemen next year lol

Dion and Brown start next year. And probably Morse. I think its 1 more year for Morse. I think he plays out the contract. Boettger is an injured UFA and Bates is a RFA. I think you resign Bates and maybe he replaces Morse eventually. Ford is still on a rookie contract 1 more year and Williams and Feliciano have some

dead cap if cut. I think Doyle has really nice upside, at the very least as a swing guy. But I think he can play guard too. 

I think Andrew Norwell or Brandon Scherff are targets in free agency.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Scherff has made some big money the last 3 years and definitely wants to move on.

He would have to sign a really good team friendly contract if he wants to go for a ring in Buffalo.

Let's hope that's what he wants to do.

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Dion and Brown start next year. And probably Morse. I think its 1 more year for Morse. I think he plays out the contract. Boettger is an injured UFA and Bates is a RFA. I think you resign Bates and maybe he replaces Morse eventually. Ford is still on a rookie contract 1 more year and Williams and Feliciano have some

dead cap if cut. I think Doyle has really nice upside, at the very least as a swing guy. But I think he can play guard too. 

I think you keep Williams to be the swing tackle at least.  Tender Bates and find a new starting C and G. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.