Anyone else sensing a Bates dilemma?

BillnutinHouston

By most if not all accounts, Rick Bates played quite well Sunday, which especially with current OL availability issues raises the question of whether he will or should start at G going forward.  

All year (and before) he seems to have been kept in reserve as the backup C, but at what point do you throw caution to the wind, gamble on Morse staying healthy and putting your best 5 out onto the field?

McD was asked about this after the game but immediately deflected the question.  

Curious to see what you all think about this.

He got wrecked on more than a couple occasions, but I’d rather give him a shot rather than Feliciano.  Ford had been playing a little better, but I don’t think he’s been playing any LG this year.  Hopefully we don’t have to have this conversation again next season

• Like (+1) 2

Bates is the quickest and most athletic  lineman we have, next to Spencer Brown.

And it was noticable against the Pats. He was flying around... In fact, he kind of reminds me of the type of lineman the Pats always seem to find at the end of the draft or as an UDFA, who ends up starting for them for years...

I imagine we'll get Ford back before Feleciano... 

What will Sean do?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Bates is the quickest and most athletic  lineman we have, next to Spencer Brown.

And it was noticable against the Pats. He was flying around... In fact, he kind of reminds me of the type of lineman the Pats always seem to find at the end of the draft or as an UDFA, who ends up starting for them for years...

What will Sean do?

Interesting.  I wonder why Bates fell all the way out of the draft.  Not even a late day 3 selection?  He looks undersized, but solid to me.  He's only 24 years old.  Hope the Bills keep him here in this utility lineman/backup center role for awhile.  

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

By most if not all accounts, Rick Bates played quite well Sunday, which especially with current OL availability issues raises the question of whether he will or should start at G going forward.  

All year (and before) he seems to have been kept in reserve as the backup C, but at what point do you throw caution to the wind, gamble on Morse staying healthy and putting your best 5 out onto the field?

McD was asked about this after the game but immediately deflected the question.  

Curious to see what you all think about this.

Are you referring to Rick Grimes?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Gotta love guys that are so valuable you can’t play them.  If he’s good enough to be on the field then he belongs on the field, that’s like playing Turbiski all year because you want to save Allen for when you really need him. 

I’m not giving this staff the benefit of the doubt on personnel, they have proven not to deserve that, more than once.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Interesting.  I wonder why Bates fell all the way out of the draft.  Not even a late day 3 selection?  He looks undersized, but solid to me.  He's only 24 years old.  Hope the Bills keep him here in this utility lineman/backup center role for awhile.  

The knock on him was that he didn't have the length to play OT, and wasn't broad enough to play inside. 

He was noted for solid pass protection, but lacking power in the run game. 

He was projected as an emergency swing tackle. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The knock on him was that he didn't have the length to play OT, and wasn't broad enough to play inside. 

He was noted for solid pass protection, but lacking power in the run game. 

He was projected as an emergency swing tackle. 

He absolutely cannot play Tackle in this league, but I think he's probably a viable option on the inside

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

What will Sean do?

Laughable that weight is even considered for OL. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.