Sights and Sounds of the game from Pats perspective

CorkScrewHill

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Man, that dropped TD by Kumerow was bad.  He had it, he just didn't tuck it away properly as he went to the ground.  You can tell he knew it, too.

He did but even allen said he had the time to set his feet and throw a better ball. 

Live and learn for both of them. 

On that beautiful TD shovel pass to Knox, the play could’ve easily been flagged as #75 Williams was again too far downfield, about 3 or 4 yards in the endzone. He’s got a bad habit of doing that. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

On that beautiful TD shovel pass to Knox, the play could’ve easily been flagged as #75 Williams was again too far downfield, about 3 or 4 yards in the endzone. He’s got a bad habit of doing that. 

FWIW, not saying it was necessarily the case on the play you refer to but it's my understanding that if the O lineman stays continuously engaged with his man, he is allowed to be downfield.

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Huh I wonder why they skipped Diggs' TD?

I listened to the LockedOn Pats Monday podcast. I am sick to relish their misery, but I don’t care. They brought the Diggs finger pointing up, saying basically how teams never use to do this and the luster is wearing off.  The doubt is slowly creeping in again for Pats nation that Jones might be what a lot of people said he was, the most ready with the least upside QB in the 2021 draft, and that BB doesn’t have the same culture in NE without Tom. 

I get we beat the crap out of them but they're 9-6, play Jacksonville and close with Dolphins. They can still make the playoffs. Just like here, there is so much doom and gloom after every loss. People here wanted McDermott fired after 1st Pats game now he's being praised as a great coach

Edited by nucci
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Man, that dropped TD by Kumerow was bad.  He had it, he just didn't tuck it away properly as he went to the ground.  You can tell he knew it, too.

But let's be honest, it may have been the worst easy pass of Josh's career. Kumerow was wide-open from the start of the play; yes, he dropped it, but it was a great effort to even make a play on a very poorly thrown ball.

Reminds me several years ago when I was coaching. We're playing the #4 ranked (D3) softball team in the country and their all-american pitcher is throwing a no-hitter against us. Our #7 batter hits a shot to right center field, the center fielder make a great effort on the ball, dives for it, lays out straight and it hits her gove but she can't pull it in. I later found out the coach instructed the official score keeper (from the home team of course) to give the CF an error to keep the no-no in tack. It was a hit in any other situation. I was not happy. .... Good news, that same gal for us broke up the no-hitter two innings later 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, CSBill said:

But let's be honest, it may have been the worst easy pass of Josh's career. Kumerow was wide-open from the start of the play; yes, he dropped it, but it was a great effort to even make a play on a very poorly thrown ball.

You didn't watch that clip, did you?  1:25 in.  We see other team's WR make similar adjustments several times a game.  It was a difficult throw for Josh, on the run to his left, but it was an entirely catchable ball.  Kumerow got both hands on it, but put his right arm out to break his fall instead of keeping both hands on it.

It was not a "very poorly thrown ball" much less "the worst easy pass of Josh's career".  Could it have been better, sure, but Pats WR have been catching worse balls from Jones all damned season.  It was in no way analogous to a CF diving for it and laying out straight.

There was a much harder pass later in the game that McKenzie hauled in at a dead run, fully extended, and slammed into the turf (but kept both hands on the ball and hauled it in).   THAT was a catch analogous to a CF diving and laying out straight.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yes, this was maybe the only obvious error on the part to #17 all day.  

No, the pass that Jackson could have intercepted but dropped was apparently a worse error.  2:38 in that clip.

It's possible Diggs wasn't where Allen expected him to be, possibly that could be what you meant by "obvious error"?

5 hours ago, The Wiz said:

He did but even allen said he had the time to set his feet and throw a better ball.

Not sure what you mean by "even Allen".  Allen always takes the blame and says he needs to make a better throw.  Yes, it could have been a better throw, but Kumerow got both hands on the ball and he wasn't laid out straight or climbing the ladder for it or about to get sandwiched by two defenders.

He needs to catch that.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, the pass that Jackson could have intercepted but dropped was apparently a worse error.  2:38 in that clip.

It's possible Diggs wasn't where Allen expected him to be, possibly that could be what you meant by "obvious error"?

I think Josh thought Diggs was going to go out and he went in instead.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, it’s hard to know if the near interception was on #17 or #14 or some combo of both. The missed TD to Kumerow (#87) was a clear error on the part of #17.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yes, it’s hard to know if the near interception was on #17 or #14 or some combo of both. The missed TD to Kumerow (#87) was a clear error on the part of #17.  

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.  I don't think any throw where a R handed QB rolls to the L to escape pressure and extend the play can be called a "clear error". 

Could it have been placed more perfectly, sure, but I was always told when a professional WR can get both hands on a ball and not be hit immediately, he needs to catch it.

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Huh I wonder why they skipped Diggs' TD?

They seem to have skipped a number of good throws by Allen :)

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Considering how wide open he was, I thought it was just as bad as a throw as it was a drop.  Dude had no one near him and he rushed the throw.  I was pissed Kumerow didn’t catch it, but it was a semi tough catch on what should have been simple throw

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.