McDermott in rare coaching company

Logic

I’m very thankful for McD. He’s changed the culture which is something extremely difficult to do in any organization. Especially one that was used to being a bottom feeder for so long.

However, Someone posted in another thread, but if we never make the SB with Josh (this year being our best chance to date), that 13 seconds will forever tarnish McDs legacy as our coach. Not only did we lose in an extremely improbably fashion, but we had a great chance to win the SB and it directly impacts Josh’s legacy. 

I do hope McD eventually leads us to a SB victory. 

On 12/28/2021 at 9:08 PM, Logic said:

I was quite surprised by this statistic and wanted to share it with all of you. 

And to think, some were ready to move on from coach McDermott earlier this season.

One huge surprise Jerry didn't sale him before he ended that paragraph what's up with that is he getting soft ?

I haven't looked through any of the comments in this article but i'm sure those that earlier in the year wrote how cD needs to be fired won't have many comments to this that have any common sense involved in that thought process ..

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:09 AM, GunnerBill said:

He did regular season winning with Tyrod freaking Taylor too though. Whether McDermott is a great coach will ultimately come down to can he win a Championship. but he is a good football coach. 

Not really.. they had a 9 and 7 season and lucked their way into the playoffs on a so-so record.

This team had 9 win seasons before mcdermott showed up with Tyrod Taylor they just dont typically (and never will again) result in a playoff appearance.

Tyrod Taylor was an 8-8 and 9-7 type of QB

Just now, BillsFan692 said:

Not really.. they had a 9 and 7 season and lucked their way into the playoffs on a so-so record.

This team had 9 win seasons before mcdermott showed up with Tyrod Taylor they just dont typically (and never will again) result in a playoff appearance.

Tyrod had gone 8-8, 7-8, his first two years here. And yes the Bills had 9 win seasons before McDermott. Twice in 17 years. He is a darn good football coach. If you want to question whether he is the man to lift a Lombardi, go ahead, I disagree, but until he does it then he is fair game. But questioning his ability as a coach overall is based on zero evidence. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Tyrod had gone 8-8, 7-8, his first two years here. And yes the Bills had 9 win seasons before McDermott. Twice in 17 years. He is a darn good football coach. If you want to question whether he is the man to lift a Lombardi, go ahead, I disagree, but until he does it then he is fair game. But questioning his ability as a coach overall is based on zero evidence. 

I am not saying Mcdermott wont get it done -- I am just saying he has Josh Freaking Allen so he better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/13/2022 at 5:57 AM, VaMilBill said:

I’m very thankful for McD. He’s changed the culture which is something extremely difficult to do in any organization. Especially one that was used to being a bottom feeder for so long.

However, Someone posted in another thread, but if we never make the SB with Josh (this year being our best chance to date), that 13 seconds will forever tarnish McDs legacy as our coach. Not only did we lose in an extremely improbably fashion, but we had a great chance to win the SB and it directly impacts Josh’s legacy. 

I do hope McD eventually leads us to a SB victory. 

Respecting and appreciating what McDermott has done here and also realizing he may have reached his ceiling and not the guy to get this team to a SB and/or winning one is not mutually exclusive.

And still think if I'm the Pegulas I sat there watching the SB last night even more angry and disappointed knowing the Bills probably could have won it all this year if not for such terrible coaching and management of situational football.

And despite what fans would like to believe, both McDermott and Beane know that it's time to deliver in 2022 (year 6) of their regime as 'the process' thing is no longer valid.

On 2/12/2022 at 5:56 PM, Dopey said:

Wrong. You keep forgetting the players lost that Houston game. Duke dropping passes and Knox missing a crucial block for Josh to run into the end zone for a win on a QB sweep to the right. Finally got rid of Duke. So, he's learning.

Knox missed a block for sure that probably cost us the game.  But the defense choked against Houston, just like it has done repeatedly in big moments under McDermott.  

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Respecting and appreciating what McDermott has done here and also realizing he may have reached his ceiling and not the guy to get this team to a SB and/or winning one is not mutually exclusive.

And still think if I'm the Pegulas I sat there watching the SB last night even more angry and disappointed knowing the Bills probably could have won it all this year if not for such terrible coaching and management of situational football.

And despite what fans would like to believe, both McDermott and Beane know that it's time to deliver in 2022 (year 6) of their regime as 'the process' thing is no longer valid.

Exactly. Making the playoffs is no longer the goal. Same for winning the division. The pressure is on McDermott and Beane to deliver a championship.

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Lets not forget, we probably are a 10 win team that year had they not gambled on Nathan Pickerman in LA against the Chargers.  The Chargers had not been good that point in the year and Tyrod easily moved the ball on them in the 2nd half once NP was finally yanked.  We almost certainly win that game and go 10-6 and earn our spot in the playoffs on our own if they had not tried to give the kid a shot.  

And cant blame them for trying, Tyrod was safe, but not the guy who can maximize opportunities on the field.  They wanted to see if NP could provide some spark, it failed, they moved on and still made the playoffs.

Not to mention, Bills also traded away a lot players seen as important ones that year before and during the season like Watkins, Darby, and Dareus too.  So this wasn't the same team that Tyrod won 8 and 7 games with previously either.  

McD is a very good HC, and when he wins the SB, he will be seen as elite.  And he will win the SB, here in Buffalo, and probably next year IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Knox missed a block for sure that probably cost us the game.  But the defense choked against Houston, just like it has done repeatedly in big moments under McDermott.  

I agree 110% i dont see how what happened in Houston is any different then what happened in KC. 

Mcdermott doesnt seem to admit to any mistakes or take real responsibility for them so as a fan how am I to be sure he is learning and growing from them? Especially when the same ugly mistake keeps rearing its ugly head in critical moments...

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

I agree 110% i dont see how what happened in Houston is any different then what happened in KC. 

Mcdermott doesnt seem to admit to any mistakes or take real responsibility for them so as a fan how am I to be sure he is learning and growing from them? Especially when the same ugly mistake keeps rearing its ugly head in critical moments...

The difference is the defense made enough plays to beat Houston. The offense let us down. Dropped TD pass. Also dropped a pass with about 1 minute left in regulation that would have changed the field. We had to work our way to a game tying fg instead of working for a TD. And as mentioned, the missed block by Knox. We e gave up 22 points in the game, including OT. We scored 6 points in the 2nd half AND overtime of that game. The defense was not to blame for that game. The KC game? Oh yeah, that's on the defense. BIG DIFFERENCE. We gave up 10 points ALL game the previous year to Jax in that playoff game AND LOST. 

As to the second paragraph ( I guess), you can watch the next season play out. I mean, unless you have some kinda quiz for him, how else will you be sure he's learning? The " mistakes" are not the same. 1st 2 playoff games were lost by the offense. The last 2 are on the defense.

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude what? They weren’t beating the Chargers that year with Tyrod… despite Petermans meltdown, the defense was a sieve that game as well.

What?  Chargers were a train wreck, only beat 2 bad teams and were on a 3 game losing streak.  They were a joke when we played them.  Check your history bud

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.