McDermott in rare coaching company

Logic

22 hours ago, Big Turk said:

#1 ranked defense(2nd in scoring)

#6 ranked offense(3rd in scoring)

Number 1 in net point differential by a mile.

Are you ***** insane?

Most people don't want the coordinators gone and understand that it's up to players to execute the plays properly when put in position to do so.

I actually think Daboll has not had a very good season prior to the second half of the Bucs game.  

We have an elite QB with enough playmakers around him that most OC’s could helm this offense and we would score points. 

But Daboll has been a terrible play caller in the red zone a lot of times this year and also struggled or resisted trying to get the run game going until just recently.  

I can name many examples of poor decisions, however I will cite a recent one that still has me steaming.  The 3rd and 2 call on the 3 yard line at end of regulation against the Bucs.  You have one play to likely score here (game was too important to not take the FG there given the way our defense shut down the Pats in the second half).

This is where you call your BEST play and utilize our best talents.  What’s he call?  A freaking fade that requires Josh to throw the ball on the snap before even knowing if the WR is going to win the route.  This is the definition of a 50/50 ball.  

Yet we have Diggs, Cole, Knox, Davis, Singletary, and Josh Allens legs…ALL are taken out of the play essentially for a coin flip to a short WR.  

Now Diggs was clearly interfered with, but the point is the play was the wrong call in that situation from the get go.  Absolute worst call I have seen in a long time.  

He’s made a lot of bone head decisions like this in the Redzone as well that left points on the field in games we narrowly lost.  

Not using Josh Allens running ability in the first NE game also one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen.  

I am not a “fire him” guy, but IMHO Daboll has earned criticism this year and I think how he does the rest of season and playoffs will be telling on whether or not he should be back next year.  

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2021 at 8:25 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yes sir and he wrote me back, got the letter in a drawer somewhere.

Cool, 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/28/2021 at 11:35 PM, Weatherman said:

And from what I saw a vast majority of the members disagreed (a polite way of saying it) with the OP.  Regardless, McD is the best coach this team has had since Marv.  If he wins a SB he will supplant him as the best.

I really like Mcd as a caring human being. One difference regarding Marv tho is his teams didn’t lose because HE made a big gaffs!   He was inspirational and got them back to 4 straight Sbs , an unprecedented feat    His loses were talent issues, Players being unfocused at times, dealing with untimely injuries, but I don’t remember thinking wow , Marv lost that for us.   He kept us relevant up until our stars  aged. 

Have much respect for Mcd but he has cost us games with clock management issues , terrible challenges at times , an 0-4 road playoff record , the insistence on that heavy d line rotation where your studs play 45% or less of snaps, and I’m sorry , but after taking two timeouts and still failing to defense the field correctly for the infamous 13 seconds resulting in a defensive collapse from a supposed defensive minded head coach,  and that loss falls on him wasting the best QB performance in modern playoff history  !  He has a very long way to go to be on a level to be mentioned in the same esteem as HOF COACH , MARV LEVY!  When Mcd reaches the HOF, THEN they can be regarded as similar talents.  He is a good contemporary coach, happy to have him and am a fan. But that 13 second gaff , losses like the Jax game , having several blowout losses in his time here , his strange o line rotations , his lack of getting McKenzie involved just one week after mckenzie torched the Pats, and so many little things still mean he is no Marv Levy!  

Let’s see him get to the Super Bowl , BTW still behind a younger cincy coach with a sophomore Qb in Burrow, and then keep us there like KC has managed 4 home AFC CHAMPIONSHIP games and then he can be mentioned with our HOF coach , Marv Levy.  Those are just facts , not subjective feelings or opinions . Yep , he is a great man , good coach who I am glad we have , but he has more to do  than win in the regular season and it’s fair to hold him to that higher standard that we have been blessed with once in the history of this franchise. He is off to a good start ; can he get to that next level especially knowing now we finally have our superstar Qb , modern day Jim Kelly?  Marv got to the penultimate mountain top , there are no excuses when you have the most critical  position in football , the qb position , manned by a generational talent. Respect him , glad we get the chance to watch him grow, now it’s time the cliches are replaced with actual results and then he can sit alongside Marv! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

I really like Mcd as a caring human being. One difference regarding Marv tho is his teams didn’t lose because HE made a big gaffs!   He was inspirational and got them back to 4 straight Sbs , an unprecedented feat    His loses were talent issues, Players being unfocused at times, dealing with untimely injuries, but I don’t remember thinking wow , Marv lost that for us.   He kept us relevant up until our stars  aged. 

Have much respect for Mcd but he has cost us games with clock management issues , terrible challenges at times , an 0-4 road playoff record , the insistence on that heavy d line rotation where your studs play 45% or less of snaps, and I’m sorry , but after taking two timeouts and still failing to defense the field correctly for the infamous 13 seconds resulting in a defensive collapse from a supposed defensive minded head coach,  and that loss falls on him wasting the best QB performance in modern playoff history  !  He has a very long way to go to be on a level to be mentioned in the same esteem as HOF COACH , MARV LEVY!  When Mcd reaches the HOF, THEN they can be regarded as similar talents.  He is a good contemporary coach, happy to have him and am a fan. But that 13 second gaff , losses like the Jax game , having several blowout losses in his time here , his strange o line rotations , his lack of getting McKenzie involved just one week after mckenzie torched the Pats, and so many little things still mean he is no Marv Levy!  

Let’s see him get to the Super Bowl , BTW still behind a younger cincy coach with a sophomore Qb in Burrow, and then keep us there like KC has managed 4 home AFC CHAMPIONSHIP games and then he can be mentioned with our HOF coach , Marv Levy.  Those are just facts , not subjective feelings or opinions . Yep , he is a great man , good coach who I am glad we have , but he has more to do  than win in the regular season and it’s fair to hold him to that higher standard that we have been blessed with once in the history of this franchise. He is off to a good start ; can he get to that next level especially knowing now we finally have our superstar Qb , modern day Jim Kelly?  Marv got to the penultimate mountain top , there are no excuses when you have the most critical  position in football , the qb position , manned by a generational talent. Respect him , glad we get the chance to watch him grow, now it’s time the cliches are replaced with actual results and then he can sit alongside Marv! 

Sounds like this guy has it right. McD been doing a lot of regular season winning but he has Josh Freaking Allen so the bar is set pretty high now.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Sounds like this guy has it right. McD been doing a lot of regular season winning but he has Josh Freaking Allen so the bar is set pretty high now.

He did regular season winning with Tyrod freaking Taylor too though. Whether McDermott is a great coach will ultimately come down to can he win a Championship. but he is a good football coach. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He did regular season winning with Tyrod freaking Taylor too though. Whether McDermott is a great coach will ultimately come down to can he win a Championship. but he is a good football coach. 

McDermott is a damn good football coach

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/11/2022 at 4:08 AM, DrPJax said:

Marv Levy had one of the biggest gaffs in Bills history in Super Bowl 25.

He allowed an extra 12 seconds to run off the clock before taking a time out be on the last punt to the Bills. 

That extra 12 seconds would have given the Bills another play or two to get closer for an easier FG try.  Norwood was terrible on grass at more than 45 yards….

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree and really respect the culture he has established. I hope he is another Tomlin regarding longevity !  I was merely pointing out to the poster claiming he would overtake Marv in Bills history , Marv is in the HOF for a reason. Mcd is 0-4 on the road  in playoffs, went 0-7 in one possession games just this year !  He has several steps to ever be mentioned in the same thoughts with Marv Levy.  Bring home a Lombardi, become a hof candidate , and then lets consider comparing him to an all time great Bills head coach!  Is he a good head coach now, absolutely!  Is he in the HOF OR HEADED THERE YET?  Marv IS THERE, Mcd can keep working and it would be great for us all if he achieves that honor !  Saying Mcd will overtake Marv in Bills lore is just potential right now; let’s talk when he actually has won 4 afc championships and appeared in at least one or more Super Bowls. 👍😉

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Marv Levy had one of the biggest gaffs in Bills history in Super Bowl 25.

He allowed an extra 12 seconds to run off the clock before taking a time out before the Giants last punted to the Bills on the final drive.  

That extra 12 seconds would have given the Bills another play or two to get closer for an easier FG try.  Norwood was terrible on grass at more than 45 yards….

Are you sure it wasn't 13 seconds? ;) 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I have nothing against Frank but come on man 

Jacoby Brissett

Phillip Rivers

Carson Wentz

How many more retreads will bolster his team and yet fall short?

Who has Frank developed as a MVP caliber QB?

Which QB has his GM drafted for him? And now they will not have a 1st Round pick this draft.

15 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Agreed.   McDermott has to find ways to win SB considering he is having the best player in football. 

McDermott is a good coach but he still needs to learn how to coach as the favorite

He knew how to coach a group of under dogs, he still needs to grow into coaching a favorite.

Since the second half of the Tampa game he seems to be headed that direction, as well as the dorsey promotion and Brady hire.

Now I hope to see more Jim johnson defensive mind set vs. The current Tony dungy defensive mind set 

• Agree 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:07 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It's not Dabolls fault if his players don't always execute or if he doesn't have the personel to run a more balanced offense.

Guy called an absolutely beautiful game against the Pats without a single punt. I don't think he's the problem. We throw because we HAVE to throw it. I'm not ready to can a guy who just got us to the AFCC last year and most likely the playoffs this year too. No, he should should not be on the hot seat.

Only the morons wanted McD canned. Thank God the fans don't run ****

My guess is the fans would have won given a lead with only 13 seconds to play.

On 2/11/2022 at 3:50 AM, DrPJax said:

I agree and really respect the culture he has established. I hope he is another Tomlin regarding longevity !  I was merely pointing out to the poster claiming he would overtake Marv in Bills history , Marv is in the HOF for a reason. Mcd is 0-4 on the road  in playoffs, went 0-7 in one possession games just this year !  He has several steps to ever be mentioned in the same thoughts with Marv Levy.  Bring home a Lombardi, become a hof candidate , and then lets consider comparing him to an all time great Bills head coach!  Is he a good head coach now, absolutely!  Is he in the HOF OR HEADED THERE YET?  Marv IS THERE, Mcd can keep working and it would be great for us all if he achieves that honor !  Saying Mcd will overtake Marv in Bills lore is just potential right now; let’s talk when he actually has won 4 afc championships and appeared in at least one or more Super Bowls. 👍😉

Marv was outcaoched in the biggest moments just like McDermott was. Marv at least got his team to the SB. A SB win puts McD ahead of Levy.  I beleive Allen is a better QB than Kelly but I still want to see Allen do it for a few more seasons before I say Allen is the best Bills QB of all time.

A little bit off topic, but I've long thought that Marv Levy's fatal flaw was his loyalty to Walt Corey. The Levy/Polian Bills wasted the prime of their talent cycle (at least as far as winning Super Bowls) by keeping Corey around. I remember reading in a national publication (don't remember which) words to the effect of "the Bills defense doesn't always play up to the level of its all star pieces".  Corey was let go after the '94 season, replaced by Wade Phillips and the defense immediately improved (albeit with some significant additions such was Washington and Paup).  I'm not trying to draw parallels to the current state of the Bills; if anything, I think the current Bills defense outperforms its talent level, 13 second nonwithstanding.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Marv and Sean had great players. They both preached character,  culture and process. But when the rubber hit the road and you desperately needed some brilliant "in game" strategies or decisions, they were not there. Did Marv learn from his mistakes after SB25?  Did Sean learn anything after that Houston game? The answer to both questions is no.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Marv and Sean had great players. They both preached character,  culture and process. But when the rubber hit the road and you desperately needed some brilliant "in game" strategies or decisions, they were not there. Did Marv learn from his mistakes after SB25?  Did Sean learn anything after that Houston game? The answer to both questions is no.

Wrong. You keep forgetting the players lost that Houston game. Duke dropping passes and Knox missing a crucial block for Josh to run into the end zone for a win on a QB sweep to the right. Finally got rid of Duke. So, he's learning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.