Anyone live in Florida know any mildly affordable towns to move to?

JaCrispy

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Lol, nope, nothing to do at all with the cattle. I just own the land now. I don’t want it, just want to sell. It’s in the rural south, not my kind of place. Was fun to visit, but don’t want to live there 

Bovine slum lord?  😁

50 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Lol, nope, nothing to do at all with the cattle. I just own the land now. I don’t want it, just want to sell. It’s in the rural south, not my kind of place. Was fun to visit, but don’t want to live there 

51 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Boss Tibsy?

BE4C11CF-C7F1-4E2B-9FD0-F111A415160A.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Boss Tibsy?

BE4C11CF-C7F1-4E2B-9FD0-F111A415160A.jpeg

Me and him went to the same high school. He went to Bennett high school in Buffalo 

Booke was born in Buffalo, New York, the son of Dr. Sol Booke, a local physician. As a child, he entertained patients in his father's waiting room,[3]and began acting on radio at nine.[1] As a young radio actor he was known for his impersonations. He won a radio contest for mimicking the voice of Adolf Hitler, and appeared regularly as an actor on local radio stations WGR and WEBR. He attended Bennett High School and was valedictorian of the Class of 1946.[4]

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

• 2 months later...

Florida Democrats sense opportunity against DeSantis over soaring housing costs

Up and down the ballot, Democratic candidates have shifted their campaigns to focus on the soaring housing costs that are eating into the savings of retirees and workers and leaving poorer Floridians with fewer places to go.

While inflation has put President Joe Biden's party on defense in most of the country, Florida Democrats are on offense, drawing attention to historic rent hikes and blaming more than two decades of state Republican leadership.

When DeSantis took office in 2019, Florida had the highest rate of cost-burdened households in the country, meaning they spent more than 30% of their income on housing expenses, according to a report by the online marketplace Apartment List.

The Miami metropolitan area, where the median rent for a one-bedroom unit is now about $2,600 a month, saw the highest year-over-year overall rent increases in the country, according to a recent report by the real estate website Realtor.com surveying the 50 largest metro areas in the US. The Orlando and Tampa markets ranked second and third on the list, and Jacksonville also cracked the top 10.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/31/politics/florida-affordable-housing-ron-desantis-democrats/index.html

Maybe if they eliminate state income tax they could afford rent , oh wait no state income tax in Florida.

Florida should not have locked down during covid , oh wait did not.

Edited by ALF

12 minutes ago, ALF said:

Up and down the ballot, Democratic candidates have shifted their campaigns to focus on the soaring housing costs that are eating into the savings of retirees and workers and leaving poorer Floridians with fewer places to go.

While inflation has put President Joe Biden's party on defense in most of the country, Florida Democrats are on offense, drawing attention to historic rent hikes and blaming more than two decades of state Republican leadership.

When DeSantis took office in 2019, Florida had the highest rate of cost-burdened households in the country, meaning they spent more than 30% of their income on housing expenses, according to a report by the online marketplace Apartment List.

The Miami metropolitan area, where the median rent for a one-bedroom unit is now about $2,600 a month, saw the highest year-over-year overall rent increases in the country, according to a recent report by the real estate website Realtor.com surveying the 50 largest metro areas in the US. The Orlando and Tampa markets ranked second and third on the list, and Jacksonville also cracked the top 10.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/31/politics/florida-affordable-housing-ron-desantis-democrats/index.html

Maybe if they eliminate state income tax they could afford rent , oh wait no state income tax in Florida.

If this is a reason to defeat incumbents not one in the country should be standing come the next elections. Good idea Dems!  🙄 

On 12/29/2021 at 7:57 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have fought about your question as it directly posed and the cheapest part of the state is either in the panhandle or the area near Lake Okochobee. Between the two the panhandle wins easily in my opinion.

Here here…Pensacola to Destin/Fort Waltok to Panama City very affordable and super nice. 

11 hours ago, ALF said:

Florida should not have locked down during covid , oh wait did not.

Will be interesting how they position this. For home owners or sellers it could be positive so they need to carefully craft the message and present in a way that makes it seem isolated to Florida based on policy. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m in Florida right now and I can tell you this place looks like paradise compared to the dump that California’s become over the past few years. 

We really considered FL for our retirement.  We are ok with the tropical heat/humidity.  We lived in Miami for a bit 40 years ago before we got married.  Travel to the Caribbean, or favorite part of the world, would be so much easier.  No income tax and a more Conservative government.   But the one thing that had us choose CA are the bugs.  Can't stand mosquitos or roaches and as you know CA is pretty free of bugs.  I see those screened in pools and I just hate that look.  

Oh BTW you had me worried for a bit there.  I know you post early but this was a record for you.  Thought you were still in CA.  LOL 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

We really considered FL for our retirement.  We are ok with the tropical heat/humidity.  We lived in Miami for a bit 40 years ago before we got married.  Travel to the Caribbean, or favorite part of the world, would be so much easier.  No income tax and a more Conservative government.   But the one thing that had us choose CA are the bugs.  Can't stand mosquitos or roaches and as you know CA is pretty free of bugs.  I see those screened in pools and I just hate that look.  

Oh BTW you had me worried for a bit there.  I know you post early but this was a record for you.  Thought you were still in CA.  LOL 

At a conference here in Orlando. They say it’s going to rain here. I’ll need to go outside and see that for sure! 😉

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

At a conference here in Orlando. They say it’s going to rain here. I’ll need to go outside and see that for sure! 😉

I hope you are staying at one of our nice hotels, and drink lots of alcohol, because that is why I don't have income taxes. Also our home prices are not crazy to you guys from Cali, so come move here.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Fill a bucket and bring some back.  

I’ll bring you back some cheap gas! 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Fill a bucket and bring some back.  

Just had lunch and paid next to nothing in sales tax.

On 6/1/2022 at 1:17 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Just had lunch and paid next to nothing in sales tax.

Hope you enjoyed your time here, and I welcome you to come join our great area. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Hope you enjoyed your time here, and I welcome you to come join our great area. 

Thanks…I’m definitely not a fan of the humidity but the infrastructure in Florida makes California look like a third world country. Hoping to have a dodged a bullet with the tropical storm. Flying out in the morning. Fingers crossed 🤞🏽