Anyone live in Florida know any mildly affordable towns to move to?

JaCrispy

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There's always The Villages, am I right? Wide spread of price points.

If you believe the old tales, there is a lot of wide spreading in The Villages, if you know what I mean. We used to play football against them too, so it’s more diverse generationally than I would have expected. I guess the people who take care of the frisky old people have kids too! 

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There's always The Villages, am I right? Wide spread of price points.

The std capitol of Florida... horny old people live there... which I'm fine with really but wrap that rascal fcol.

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t know Punta Gorda well, but have been there for a variety of reasons. My youngest son and I almost died in a horrific accident on I-75 as I took him to a tennis tournament down there. The shock of my life! We were fortunate to come away unscathed. 

Ocala is like the Kentucky horse country with rolling hills and white fences holding in all those beautiful creatures. You might forget where you are as you pass thru Ocala. 

Our kids used to play high school sports in LaBelle, FL (east of Ft Myers). In LaBelle you don’t forget where you are, you forget when you are. It’s like stepping back in time, with public schools praying before football games. I don’t mind that, but it’s………..different.  One year we had a long heat lighting delay. My wife tried to leave the stadium to go get a nerf football to throw around while we killed time. She was stopped at the gate and told she would have to pay again to re-enter. She pointed out the bus was only about 50 feet away. Security explained that they had a problem with people selling and doing drugs in the parking lot. She pointed out she was a mother in her 40’s at the time. “I realize that, ma’am, but it’s usually the parents selling the drugs to the kids in the parking lot.” Oh……what do you say to that? Add the cost of re-admission to the cost of drugs! 

That's funny stuff. And probably true!

I'm going to take a trip to look at some horses. I bought some microshares of horse ownership on myracehorse.com.  NOT as an investment, as I seriously doubt I'll see any financial returns. As an "owner" I get invited to check out the new foals and such in Ocala (and other locations).  I was unable to take it in this year, but plan to in the future. Going to Saratoga in August and hoping one of "my" 2-year olds might get a race when I'm there. I might get some access if that happens.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Wife and I will be moving to the west coast of Fla in the not to distant future. Can't wait!

What area of the west coast? 

I hope you have researched this... you will be missing a lot and I could go on to name a dozen things. Good luck.

9 hours ago, T&C said:

What area of the west coast? 

I hope you have researched this... you will be missing a lot and I could go on to name a dozen things. Good luck.

I lived in Sarasota years ago and still have great friends there. It will be in that area. My mother lived in central Fla (Sebring) and that was OK too but I prefer the ocean.

Edited by Beast

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.