Josh Allen doesn’t have a single first round pick on offense

78thealltimegreat

Reposting this from training camp:

Buffalo Bills Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll wanted to remind his team before training camp about its journey. So, he asked each player and coach to stand up before telling them, “If you’re a coach who has been fired, sit down.” The entire coaching staff sat down. 

Daboll then said, “If you’re a player and you’ve ever been cut or traded, sit down.” A large group of players sat down. 

Finally, Daboll said: “If you weren’t picked in the first round, sit down.” Josh Allen, the starting quarterback, was the only player left standing. Daboll directed his next question toward Allen: “Josh, how many college scholarships were you offered when leaving high school?” Allen answered none. Daboll then said, “All right, let’s all remember where we came from.” 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I believe this will change very soon.  Free agency first but would not be surprised if they drafted a WR, C/G, and DT1 early in draft.  

I'd be okay with Breece Hall and John Metchie as first two picks in draft. DT, Travis Jones in 3rd. Offensive line depth in this draft is really deep. Nick Ford, Utah, is a nasty player they could get late. Gotta get Josh more "young" playmakers

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I know Diggs was previously a first round pick, but the Bills spent a first round pick on him. IMO, that counts as a first round pick. 

Also, going forward, it's going to mean less as the Bills are likely going to be picking fairly late in upcoming drafts. That is, of course, based on the belief that the Bills are going to be a perennial playoff team for at least several years. The real elite rookie talent tends to be up in the top ten, or so picks. I'd love to see Beane trade up for a prime target-- I have a feeling he could negotiate a better deal than that misguided Whaley selling-the-farm for Watkins pick.

Totally agree Diggs counts as a first round pick.  As to trading up for a prime target, rather not. Using 2020 as the baseline as that's where the Diggs pick comes in to play, had we stood pat at 22 and gone wide receiver, we would likely have taken Justin Jefferson who was the 5th WR taken in that draft and has to date been the most productive - the only one with stats that surpass Diggs. Instead of trading up for an unproven rookie Beane traded out for a proven player which so far has proved to be the better decision. Prefer this route to trading up for an unknown when you can just stand pat for a different unknown that may prove to be better that the one you traded up for.

4 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Totally agree Diggs counts as a first round pick.

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I would count Diggs as a first round pick. That being said the draft investment has been heavier on the defensive side early for sure. I do expect it to change in 2022 as the Bills are likely to spend a first on the offensive line. 

Yeah for sure if looking at it that way. I took it as "originally drafted 1st round picks" from OP's title, in which case Diggs was a 5th round pick. But if talking about a 1st round pick being used in general via trade etc...then yes I agree since a 1st round pick was used to get Diggs

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Agree WR will/should likely be priority, as for your comment about Gabe having full season of production.....his opportunities have been limited and when Sanders recently was out he got more time.

With that said, he did very well with the increased opportunities and even better in the redzone which also started to improve the redzone offense some, just in case it slipped your mind. So your "Gabe not putting together a full season of production" statement is a little flawed....

Gabe Davis has had ankle injuries that seem to have slowed him for parts of his first two seasons.    He wasn't only on the sideline because of Sanders this year.    I suspect Covid won't keep him out again next year........but his decision making in that regard cost him 1-2 games.    He appears to have the skills to be an 80-100 catch 1200+ yard WR with a great QB like Josh Allen throwing him the ball.......but some players just never full launch because of availability issues and other life choices etc. 

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Daboll has made reference to this in the past.

I think that changes this year. 

With the amount of great young QB talents as there are in the AFC the Bills can't really afford to do the Green Bay thing where they have drafted defense in round 1 almost every year for a decade.

Offensive tackle or wide receiver. Build around the freaking franchise!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Daboll has made reference to this in the past.

I think that changes this year. 

With the amount of great young QB talents as there are in the AFC the Bills can't really afford to do the Green Bay thing where they have drafted defense in round 1 almost every year for a decade.

They can't afford to have Allen play the way he is playing very long. The dude keeps putting the team on his back. If it isn't him getting smashed around in the pocket, it is him taking hits rushing for first downs. 

It gets all of us jacked up. But it adds up quickly. Cam has had a great career, but I really don't want Josh to fall off a cliff like he did. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

The only thing I could possibly see getting in the way of drafting offense in rd 1 would be if there's a really good and stout DT that has fallen in the round.

This is my thought, but I still don't think the first pick is a skill position. My guess is it goes to LT or OG. Dawkins gives us some flexibility there if they fall in love with a LT. Next pick is probably a big DT like Vita Vea. Either could be swapped depending on their board. 

I would like to keep Morse one more year until we are sure we have an upgrade. He might not be great, but he most certainly is not the problem with the OL. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think everyone is going to be mad when yet another d-lineman is picked in the 1st round. Hughes and Addison aren't going to be around much longer. Star probably the same. The youth on the d-line hasn't shown nearly enough to give the coaching staff confidence.

I'm not typically a fan of picking o-linemen in the 1st round, I recognize that is not a popular opinion but good o-linemen can be found later in the draft or in free agency and I'd rather find real difference makers in the 1st round - pass rusher, CB, offensive play maker.

I'll be happy if the Bills draft a WR in the 1st round but they're not going to force the pick. If they do draft one I hope it is one with elite speed. I'm good with Gabe Davis as our downfield contested catch guy. We need a dynamic play maker to round out the group.

1 hour ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Daboll then said, “All right, let’s all remember where we came from.” 

When I was leaving home for college, my Dad said, "Remember where you came from." I never forgot that, and I repeated it to my son when he went away to college.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.