Hughes (non-) roughing penalty

Merle

24 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The flag had nothing to do with the Initial Contact. It was 100% what had appeared to be a pull down 4-5 yards out of bounds. Which most times will result in a flag.

I also heard Davis acknowledge that he looked to be trying to help Jones up and that his only questions past that was "Why take the chance and put your hands on him out of bounds like that?". However, in a bang-bang play humans are more imclu ed to try and help people not get hurt...which is what Hughes reacted to. 

It's one of those plays where, yup his intent was good and shouldn't have been flagged....however it would have been understandable had the call went against us.

I agree with you, or at least it shouldn't have been. My point was that the commentators led the viewers to believe that the flag wasn't for trying to hold Jones up. 

8 hours ago, MJS said:

And, BTW, I would expect Josh to do the same thing. It's smart and in this case it almost worked. Josh has flopped and gotten calls in his favor in the past.

This has been a thing that has kinda worried me a bit this season. I doubt he'll get injured doing it, but you see him drop to the ground a lot more often, then immediately get up with his hands in the air & looking at the refs. Don't like the tendency to look for flags every time you're touched, but if it works, it works.

The thing with Hughes should not have been a penalty, but it looked like one in real time and I wouldn't have complained if that flag had stood.  Touching the QB out of bounds and triggering a flop will draw a flag more often than not, especially if you're named Jerry Hughes.  I was pretty surprised to see that flag get picked up.

It makes me happy that New England fans are all bent out of shape over one not-quite-a-penalty that wasn't gifted to then.  They're in a for a long, painful lesson in what officiating is like when you don't have the league's chosen golden boy on your team anymore.

I think picking the flag up was the right call

The rule was written and enforced to protect players. In this particular game where it was starting to get chippy and obviously a lot of chirping was going on. Calling a penalty on something that didn't have intent would have escalated the game to a whole new level

Say that flag stands, I know if I'm a player and the next time its going to be a close call I'm making sure I get my 15 yards worth

I was totally unsurprised it was picked up.

This season we are seeing a ton of plays where QB's are faking that they are stepping out and then using their "touch immunity" to tip toe for extra yards. 

Just putting your hands on the QB on the sideline isn't going to be an auto-foul any longer.    Hughes tried to hold him up.........Jones slid to the ground trying to draw a flag.   Play was called correctly.

It was a standard officiated game........sometimes you get the benefit of a few calls and sometimes you have to make a few plays to overcome a few calls.....but almost NEVER does officiating keep the decisively better performing team from winning and a lot of you would enjoy football more if you understood this fact.

If anyone in NE thinks they got jobbed.........what they should feel is lucky that the Bills failed to turn a couple more drives into TD's.    They DOMINATED the Patriots defense.    The Pats were lucky to come out of it only giving up 32.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.