Hughes (non-) roughing penalty

Merle

Yeah, I said in the game thread I couldn't believe they threw the flag because he was trying to stop him falling into the bench. 

I think part of the reason they threw the flag was the crowd's reaction, as they booed loudly the second Hughes touched him. Then several NE players came over to defend The Greatest Rookie QB In The History Of The NFL. 

Well, the way the play looked in real speed and from the angle the refs see it AND it being a QB that was one the receiving end...I can completely understand why the flag was thrown. 

Yes when you slow it down and look at the TV angle you can see the intent and what happened better. Refs of the field don't get that luxury so can't blame them for that.

But great to see them get together, likely with some help from the booth and make the right call.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I couldn’t believe they picked it up.  Shocked to say the least.  Jerry gets the shaft 99% of the time.  I figured it was coming for him again.  Good No call by the refs.  It was obvious he was trying to hold him up.  

There were some questionable calls on both sides yesterday but i thought the refs did an overall solid job.  

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

It was dumb for Hughes to touch him given the way the game is called nowadays, but I had no issue with them picking up the flag - and still wouldn’t if it was Josh Allen on the other end.
I think initially Hughes was going to push Mac, but realized where he was on the field and tried to hold him up. He didn’t drag him down or throw him into the bench, so simply grabbing a QB who’s a step out of bounds shouldn’t constitute a roughing the passer penalty. On a related note, roughing the passer really needs to get back to “roughing the passer.” I’ve seen too many calls where the flag is thrown just for literally touching a QB. It’s insane.

This^^^^ Tells it all...

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I was surprised as hell. He pushed a QB going out of bounds. I thought it was a total gift from the refs and was very thankful.

that’s what I thought too at first, but had my doubts when watching the slo-mo replay.  Still, I figured  there was 0% chance they picked up the flag

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Well, the way the play looked in real speed and from the angle the refs see it AND it being a QB that was one the receiving end...I can completely understand why the flag was thrown. 

Yes when you slow it down and look at the TV angle you can see the intent and what happened better. Refs of the field don't get that luxury so can't blame them for that.

But great to see them get together, likely with some help from the booth and make the right call.

I know that you are mostly referencing the after the initial contact.... however in real time how late was Hughes on pushing Jones out? A millisecond? He was running for a first down and Hughes was committed. The push was all a nothing-burger and was a "bang bang" play. To hear Charles Davis say he was clearly soooooo late was infuriating watching it at 1/10th the speed of real life. Has Davis been out of the NFL for so long he can't remember how things go? Yeesh.

Anyway they made the correct.call, even if that was Josh Allen getting contacted.

Edited by nkreed
Confusing original writing

Being a veteran with the amount of games he has played he should have known better that could have been a huge penalty and one that may have shifted momentum the other way he should have just let him go out and no touched him .

The Bills got away with one there usually that would have been a given maybe after the last game the refs got a ass chewing because of the terrible calls they made against the Bills . But that did help to even the score a bit one bad call for us this time .

11 minutes ago, nkreed said:

I know that you are mostly referencing the after the initial contact.... however in real time how late was Hughes on pushing Jones out? A millisecond? He was running for a first down and Hughes was committed. The push was all a nothing-burger and was a "bang bang" play. To hear Charles Davis say he was clearly soooooo late was infuriating watching it at 1/10th the speed of real life. Has Davis been out of the NFL for so long he can't remember how things go? Yeesh.

Anyway they made the correct.call, even if that was Josh Allen getting contacted.

The flag had nothing to do with the Initial Contact. It was 100% what had appeared to be a pull down 4-5 yards out of bounds. Which most times will result in a flag.

I also heard Davis acknowledge that he looked to be trying to help Jones up and that his only questions past that was "Why take the chance and put your hands on him out of bounds like that?". However, in a bang-bang play humans are more imclu ed to try and help people not get hurt...which is what Hughes reacted to. 

It's one of those plays where, yup his intent was good and shouldn't have been flagged....however it would have been understandable had the call went against us.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I can understand if they had called it a foul. But I am not sure how the pats could be so outraged by the non-call. Everyone saw that Hughes was trying to stop Mac from falling, and Mac tried to dive.  Not getting a ticky tack freebie flag there isn’t cause for outrage. 

Agree they did a good job of picking up the flag.

I honestly can not ever remember a personal foul flag being picked up and the refs changing their minds. Anyine else remember another time that occurred?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.