So....what happened to the O-line?

Success

Below is my post from 10/26 talking about Bates.  I've been talking about Ryan Bates for 3 years now.  I don't want to hear any BS from our coaches about "he's more valuable as a backup due to his versatility".  Especially since even when Morse got hurt last year they put Feliciano in at C!?  Our coaches have missed managed Bates, he should be starting every week.  Not saying Sunday was all due to Bates as each player on the OL stepped it up....but I was keying in on Bates almost every play, he was a definite upgrade.  He's quick, great hands/feet and has a natural feel.  Our coaches better keep him in the lineup.

Pags24

Community Member

Posted October 26

I do like Williams at RG and Brown at RT a lot!  Letting Teller go was a big mistake and was unfortunate but what I really can't grasp is this..... one of the reasons we traded Teller was we had added some new pieces one of them being Ryan Bates, I recall reading how much our coaching staff was impressed with Bates right away.  So my question has been for the last couple of years.  Why doesn't Ryan Bates get more reps?  Let him play! 

14 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yes, they were.  There was a play I remember where a defender was quickly in Josh’s face.  I rewound and saw it was old #75, Williams, who totally whiffed on his block attempt.   I don’t get it.  Even if you’re physically overmatched, you should still be able to get in the defender’s way for a couple seconds, don’t you think?

The concept of pass protection doesn’t make sense to me in some ways.  I get that they like to make a pocket around the QB.    However, the idea of backing up and trying to hold off a defender that’s moving forward seems flawed.  The pass rusher, the aggressor, seems to have an immediate advantage and once the blocker is back on his heels, it’s pretty much over.

No Feliciano no Ford

There's a lot of communication between QB and OL that fans don't really know about. We're seeing less confusion. Maybe they've simplified things. My guess is that it's a combination of simplifying and Josh Allen putting the OL in better protections.

Most of The pressure Allen has faced of late has been Brown getting beat by superior players. Brown fixed that vs NE, although NE played scared to death of Josh Allen.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

Line played very well. I feel like it was just as much Josh evading dudes. I was surprised when I saw the amount of pressures they actually got on Josh. 

they did pressure him some— but Josh made them pay every time. 

Also, contrary to what people are saying here, the pats didn’t just rush 3 all day. They rushed 4-5 consistently, and blitzed and zone blitzed all through the game.

I think the line just blocked really well. And when they didn’t, Josh did a great job of making a play. For example, you

should re-watch the huge 3rd and 10

conversion on the last drive. Josh hangs in there, avoids major pressure, and hits McKenzie for a perfect pass. 

• Agree 1

On 12/26/2021 at 8:25 PM, NewEra said:

Helluva performance vs a bunch of dudes that aren’t very good pass rushers.  It looked like Belichick was super bland and never blitzed.  The OL reads seemed very basic.  Played into our hands. 

This is our offense when our OL plays well.  Hopefully we can make the proper moves this offseason to make this type of performance the norm.  

Except for Judon who is among the league leaders in sacks?

• Haha (+1) 1

It was more a bit of sea change in philosophy that didn't leave the linemen out to dry. Instead of more max protect to give plays more time to develop, they used checkdowns and got the ball out quickly very early to neutralize the complicated pressure looks. It's as simple as the running back goes to where the pressure comes from and gets the ball in space. The first 2 drives were filled with Singletary catches and runs, a jet sweep, a moss catch a gilliam catch and even Diggs caught one out of the backfield. It opens the intermediate passing game up later because the Patriots adjusted to cover the shorter places and Mackenzie started beating his man.

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

This was their best game I guess.

I have no idea why Bellicheat didnt put on the pressure more.

Did he not realize adding a couple of blitzers and stunts would have put our oline on their back?

I rewatched the game. I might be off 1 or 2 but I’m pretty sure he brought 5 pass rushers 12-13 times. He rushed 3 on 6-7 occasions. The rest were 4 man.  Never more than 5 or less than 3.

Every time they got pressure, Josh was able to work his magic and he made them pay if they lost outside contain.  They actually got more pressure than I originally thought, but Josh just negated it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/26/2021 at 8:07 PM, Success said:

They've been pretty magnificent since the 2nd half against the Bucs.

Today was amazing.  Allen had time in the pocket on almost every throw.  They were opening holes for the running game.  They were depleted & lost a guy during the game - and played just as well.  And that front for NE is no joke.

They're the key. If they keep this up, it will be very tough to stop this team.

I've been saying this all year.  Run blocking requires some reps to get into a rhythm.  And once you have that rhythm it makes pass blocking easier because the D doesn't know which is coming.  

Pass blocking when the D knows a pass is coming isn't fun.  

Run blocking once every 10 plays is hard to do.  

Get some balance and they then have the advantage over D line notice other way around. 

21 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

they did pressure him some— but Josh made them pay every time. 

Also, contrary to what people are saying here, the pats didn’t just rush 3 all day. They rushed 4-5 consistently, and blitzed and zone blitzed all through the game.

I think the line just blocked really well. And when they didn’t, Josh did a great job of making a play. For example, you

should re-watch the huge 3rd and 10

conversion on the last drive. Josh hangs in there, avoids major pressure, and hits McKenzie for a perfect pass. 

They also slide the pocket a bit or josh slide away from pressure.  He was more chill and it helps.  When he takes off too early it's hard to block for that.  

16 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yes, they were.  There was a play I remember where a defender was quickly in Josh’s face.  I rewound and saw it was old #75, Williams, who totally whiffed on his block attempt.   I don’t get it.  Even if you’re physically overmatched, you should still be able to get in the defender’s way for a couple seconds, don’t you think?

The concept of pass protection doesn’t make sense to me in some ways.  I get that they like to make a pocket around the QB.    However, the idea of backing up and trying to hold off a defender that’s moving forward seems flawed.  The pass rusher, the aggressor, seems to have an immediate advantage and once the blocker is back on his heels, it’s pretty much over.

Clearly not since this is the way it's always taught at every level by every coach. With as many people looking for advantages and innovation, if there was a better way, someone would have found it and coach them to do it on SOME level. They don't, so either the rules effectively prevent it(illegal man downfield issues potentially), or there isn't one.

Good offensive lines do a fantastic job at this, so I'm not sure how much an advantage it really is.

Spencer Brown is clearly a RT. He was great against the Pats. He’s really becoming comfortable at RT. 

2 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

This is incredible what Dawkins does on this pivotal play. Pancakes 2 guys, 1 behind the LOS then another at down marker 20 yards away!  

That is truly scary. Destroying people. 

Edited by wppete

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There's a lot of communication between QB and OL that fans don't really know about. We're seeing less confusion. Maybe they've simplified things. My guess is that it's a combination of simplifying and Josh Allen putting the OL in better protections.

Most of The pressure Allen has faced of late has been Brown getting beat by superior players. Brown fixed that vs NE, although NE played scared to death of Josh Allen.

I noticed Morse communicating more at the LOS.

I was slack jawed during the game wondering who these ringers were dressed up like Bills lineman.   I started the game somewhat pessimistically.  But when I saw the time they were giving Josh, my confidence grew and grew.  

But before we get too effusive, a few points:

*  Apparently, the Pats wanted to their D line to contain more than pressure;

*  There were several times that a single rusher broke through the offensive wall - but Josh was able to elude him;

*  Josh checked down faster in this game than in some others.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.