Is anyone enjoying this season?

Ethan in Cleveland

All Bills games, in ALL Bills seasons, stopped being about carefree fun and escapist entertainment for me a LONG TIME AGO.

It's hard work following the ups and downs of this team, and overall, this season has proven to be more of a let down than an exclamation point.

It's not over yet, though, and the game of the season is about to take place on Sunday.

I wouldn't miss it for the world!  But it's not about fun entertainment! 

It's much more than that.

20 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Certainly not what the Bills season was suppose to be but yes 100%. Plus the Sabres have finally shown a heart beat this year

...as they had toward another bottom 5 finish and an 11th season of missing the playoffs.

But they are doing it  with such heart!

Edited by Nextmanup

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Wow. I'm truly happy for the 100% yes responses!  That is good to hear. 

Maybe I've just been too close to everything COVID since Feb 2020.  

I'm going to vow to not post any negative comments about McD, Edmunds, or any other player/coach.  And just let the season play out and put my faith in Allen. 

This is more or less where I am. I'm just going to follow the team, keep a lid on my emotional reactions, and try not to have any expectations.

Edited by Dr. K

Overall, I'm enjoying the season, but certain games (e.g., TB, NE, Jax) haven't been fun to watch. I'm trying to take a Zen approach and just enjoy what I can of the remaining games, however many there are, and let the season play itself out.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not as much as I was hoping to enjoy it …..thanks to our OL.

The OL struggles have been extremely frustrating.

But let's face it..........if the Bills were 13-1 a lot of the same fans who have found no joy in this season would be worrying themselves to the point of zero enjoyment about potential injuries or the prospect of being upset in the playoffs.

Winning one SB will do a couple things..........ease the regular season anxiety GREATLY..........and rid us of the people who are really only invested because the Bills haven't won a SB and they need that negativity in their lives.

Example of the latter is Bulldog from WGR who is a Red Sox fan who thought he was a die-hard.........until they won a WS.........after that he lost interest.    For people like that a season like this is hell because they have a finish line as a fan.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Maybe My expectations were to high to begin with. Seems like it’s been a disappointing year ever since week 1. Maybe I take it too seriously but today really disappointed me. I feel we have no chance against the Patriots. And feel we will have the same team playing the Falcons next week. Maybe missing more guys because of Covid. Seems like a wasted year. Feel bad for Josh, Poyer, Hyde, & the guys that do things the right way . I feel bad for the team players. Poyer didn’t want to get jabbed but did it for the team. Big difference there. 

We're 14 games in, one game out of the division lead, have an MVP-candidate QB, scoring the 4th most points per game in the NFL and giving up the 2nd least points per game in the NFL.

Yes.  I'm enjoying this.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sports is supposed to be our escape from the real world. It is supposed to be entertainment.  I'm finding it hard to find any joy in this season.  I have never been so dispassionate about games since I started watching in 1979.  Even throughout the drought years I would excited for every game.  I enjoyed the KC game and my trip to the Meadowlands.  Even the Tenn game brought some emotion.  The rest - virtually none.  Either the Bills were playing a QB that should be sweeping streets or they were getting run all over.  Now COVID is more likely to decide who wins the division than the players and coaches on the field.  

I'm tired of arguing about McD and Edmunds and every post about the refs. The COVID posts are exhausting.  I have been dealing with COVID issues from testing, treatment, to supply chain for masks for 22 months.  Sports and in particular Buffalo sports teams is supposed to be our respite, win or lose they at least evoked emotion.  Now I can't seem to find any.  Maybe that will change if Josh Allen can will this team to victory this weekend.  

Anyone else feeling similar? 

The problem this year is how good they were last year, and what our expectations were going into this year.  There were entire decades during the drought where if the Bills had a team as good as this year's team is, we'd have been ecstatic.  But we all spent the offseason dreaming of glory this year, and we're not seeing glory.  Between other teams doing THEIR job and figuring out how to stop us, and rotten O line play on our part, and Josh just not being as consistent as he was, and the players simply committing too many mistakes and penalties, every week seems like either a cakewalk against a poor opponent, or a struggle leading to disappointment.  

• Vomit 1

Losing Tre was really devastating.  Its ALMOST the equivalent of losing Allen to me.

The refs have been a disaster.  

The covid debacle league wide is costing us the integrity of the season - there is no way to know how the players are reacting to this - do they still care, are they ticked about the protocols - my guess is...yes.  Inconsistent play league wide convinces me of that.    

But it's still the Bills every week with the family, we're still a contender and have the best player in the league at QB. 

I'm just not going to allow myself to be angry after a loss unless it's the Super Bowl.     

I've stopped watching the regular season games.  I still follow them, watching gamecast on ESPN while doing something else.  Now if it's a vital game, like playoffs are on the line or it's a postseason game, I'll watch.

It's helped.  Was bummed over the Bucs game, but I know I would have blown a blood vessel and screamed myself hoarce had I actually watched it.

The lows of the season hit me harder then the high points.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Of course

football season is too short

not to enjoy

Agree 808.  

I think this is a good thread started by @Ethan in Portland and for me personally, starting last year I have attempted to watch the games

with a little more of the eyes I had when I was a child.  A win brings me joy but a loss is soon forgotten.

Football is my favorite sport and I'm happy my hometown has a team that I can root for.

I appreciate the effort that these young men put into "our" team.  For those who don't think like I do and takes it all to heart a little too

much I do feel some empathy for but in the long run it's a fans mindset that determines whether it's fun or not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The high expectations entering the season and achieving far below those has my excitement level way down.  I don’t like all of the COVID nonsense that this team is involved in, either.  

For me, it is more fun to watch a team overachieve than watching this team seriously underachieve.  That being said, there are a lot of good, not great, teams in the AFC this year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.