Beasley test positive

Buffalo_Stampede

29 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

We don't know if he'd be playing or not.  He feels like he could play and if he were vaccinated, per the rules, he may never have been tested to discover it.  Especially as I doubt he would self report.

Regardless, he made his decision and stand up for it.  Stop blaming the rules as his decision puts himself over the needs of the team.  Even though his team supports him, stop trying the distracting, cowardly deflection.

CDC failed all of us not ringing the bell on the booster more loudly earlier this fall.  Ample evidence is there that 6 mos is all you can count on for significant immunity.

I agree per the CDC not ringing the bell louder. It wouldn't have mattered per Beasley. Unvaccinated players are not only a hazard to themselves but to the vaccinated as well. Omicron is hyper mutative in the spike protein. That and the fact that the vaccinated's immunity is waning without the booster is a perfect storm. But it doesn't mean that vaccinations are not conferring immunity. We are learning as we go. But some are choosing to be intentionally ignorant.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/12/03/omicron-vs-delta-comparing-covids-most-worrisome-variants/

• Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Success said:

There was some discussion yesterday on one of the shows about how all of the leagues will eventually have to make it a mandate.

It's hard to imagine that. The way some players seem to feel, they'd retire before they'd agree to that.

Let em. If they feel strongly enough about their stance and are willing to walk away from an NFL paycheck...while I may nit agree with their stance I could at least respect them for their conviction.

Many career fields all across America are moving to or have already mandated and people have had to make their choice. Why should the NFL be any different?

• Like (+1) 1

The league needs to seriously consider making rule changes that don't differentiate between vaccinated and unvaccinated players.  If they have it, they have it, if they don't, they don't.  If the rule made some sort of difference, I could understand, but looking around the league, it doesn't appear that it does.

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I'm hoping his "views, just like everyone," are intentionally vague as to not accidentally upset a teammate like Beasley, and not because he actually thinks like Beasley.

I'd also like to remind people who always throw out the "98% or 99% *survival* rate," that there's a LARGE range of issues aside from just A) survive or B) die.

Some of those issues can impact you for months, possibly life. You may end up with reduced lung capacity/severe breathing issues, suffer through weeks in the ER, experience a multitude of issues from constant & reoccurring headaches to things like chest pains & constant fatigue.

As much as I want these players to be on the field for selfish reasons, I hope their general wellbeing & quality of life stays healthy & happy. Similarly, I hope all of us average Joes remember that simply not being at high risk of death doesn't mean you aren't at risk for a hell of a bad time. Stay safe everyone & be smart!

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cole's response Back in Preseason was "Oh Wait That Never Happens". 

I think it's a common phenomenon that people are emboldened to say crap online that they would never say to a person's face. 

We see a lite version of it as mods - I'm pretty damned sure that some of the crap people say to me in PMs, they wouldn't say to my face.

I expect Beasley has a lot of experience of people saying horrid things to him in social media sometimes but when he meets fans in public they're all "OMG Cole Beasley!  Love the way you play!", and see no reason to doubt his "Oh Wait That Never Happens".

Wait people are disrespectful to you in PM’s🤦

• Shocked 1

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why?

Because if he experienced only mild symptoms, he may feel he's played through worse & wants to play anyway. In this hypothetical scenario in which he was already vaccinated (and not being tested daily), he could chalk it up to a million other things aside from COVID & try to just power through.

Even my own doctor just thought he had severe allergies for a couple days before getting tested. In that time, he had already traveled to Dallas for a conference & back again. Many professionals, especially in the US, have it drilled into them that come hell or high water, you show up to your job unless physically incapable.

It's a culture thing... sick or not, go to work. I've had employers straight up say "if you're not dying or in the hospital, don't call out." I had the flu once, was told by my boss I can't call out (had people on vacation he couldn't call in), so I showed up. Within a week, half the office had the flu, including literally EVERYONE working that day with me 😂

Edited by BigDingus

43 minutes ago, Success said:

There was some discussion yesterday on one of the shows about how all of the leagues will eventually have to make it a mandate.

It's hard to imagine that. The way some players seem to feel, they'd retire before they'd agree to that.

Good retire......  This is bigger then them!!!!  

Would I be upset at players retiring?  No, and that includes Josh Allen too.  

I just don't get it.  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, Brueggs said:

If the rule made some sort of difference, I could understand, but looking around the league, it doesn't appear that it does.

The rules do make a difference. 94.6% of NFL players are fully vaccinated, compared to 72.6% of the adult population in the USA (and only about 60% of adults from 18-49 years old). NFL players are not inherently more pro-vaccine. All of the restrictions the NFL places on unvaccinated players have drastically increased their vaccination rates.

20 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Because if he experienced only mild symptoms, he may feel he's played through worse & wants to play anyway. In this hypothetical scenario in which he was already vaccinated (and not being tested daily), he could chalk it up to a million other things aside from COVID & try to just power through.

Even my own doctor just thought he had severe allergies for a couple days before getting tested. In that time, he had already traveled to Dallas for a conference & back again. Many professionals, especially in the US, have it drilled into them that come hell or high water, you show up to your job unless physically incapable.

It's a culture thing... sick or not, go to work. I've had employers straight up say "if you're not dying or in the hospital, don't call out." I had the flu once, was told by my boss I can't call out (had people on vacation he couldn't call in), so I showed up. Within a week, half the office had the flu, including literally EVERYONE working that day with me 😂

*Nods about the culture thing*

But Beasley and all the other players (vaxxed and unvaxxed) are being asked a list of specific questions every day, and the evidence we have to date is that he is straightforward, thus likely to answer correctly.

If he weren't being asked those questions, I agree that the general football culture is like Myles Garrett said about his hamstring "I'm going to go out there until I can't"

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Josh graduated Suma ***** lode from the Sean McDermott school of Extranious Verbiage to Say Nothing.

I think the Bills PR Department and Josh's agents may administer that school

26 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Doesn’t seem like he’s a big Beasley hater now does he? I think the hatred and vitriol towards unvaccinated Bills players only exists  on this and forums like this…

I'm sure there's some frustration within locker rooms one way or the other, but from what I understand of locker room culture, players learn early on that they need to put their different backgrounds and opinions aside and value each other for on-field contributions.  So it's kind of a foregone conclusion that hating on each other can't go on in a healthy locker room.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

Personal bias.  🙂  Is Cole going to self-report very mild symptoms that could be anything?  Or is he going to play through them?  I know I would play through them, especially if I felt, as he does, that his symptoms wouldn't stop him playing.

“Hey coach.  I’ll play with broken ribs for you but I had a runny nose this morning so I need this week off.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Great answer. He is the QB of the Buffalo Bills. He is not a CDC spokesperson. Let him do his job.

I see absolutely no reason for him to comment on another player's health status other than basically copying the coach's line: "We'd like to have them all back healthy as soon as possible." This can apply equally well to Covid or high ankle sprains.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Irv said:

Also getting paid around $7M annually to be out there.  A couple of shots?  What’s the big deal? He’s a tough dude no doubt.  Played with broken bones last year.  Still don’t get it.  

I too have been wondering about this, and came the following reasoning: I think some professional athletes, like dancers and others who rely on elite body performance, can be extremely careful and anxious about what they put in their bodies.

There are enough anecdotes and stories circulating out there of athletes having enlarged heart muscle, fatigue and other issues to freak athletes out. I hear them from my friends' kids who are high school and college athletes.

I am not saying this to defend any position (I am triple vaxxed myself and my own judgment is that the risks of being unvaxxed are worse).

I'm just saying I do understand why a world class athlete like Cole might be incredibly cautious about injecting his body with a substance that was developed this year. Especially if he has issues with trusting "the authorities" already, which might be the case.

And I believe we have to respect that choice even if we make the opposite one.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

*Nods about the culture thing*

But Beasley and all the other players (vaxxed and unvaxxed) are being asked a list of specific questions every day, and the evidence we have to date is that he is straightforward, thus likely to answer correctly.

If he weren't being asked those questions, I agree that the general football culture is like Myles Garrett said about his hamstring "I'm going to go out there until I can't"

I believe if he were asked then yes, he'd be honest about his symptoms. 

I also don't know who exactly is asking the questions, if they're independent from the NFL, actual medical professionals, etc. or are more like team trainers/coach-like people who have the mindset "the player knows his body best," or will do the hint, hint, nudge, nudge "you don't HAVE to play, but it'd be great if you could..." kinda thing.

Because it's not just Beasley that likely has the work culture thing ingrained in his mind, but everyone surrounding him as well. Trainers & staff have a job too, & theirs are to keep players healthy & get them on the field. But ultimately I agree with you, and if he was explicitly asked, he'd be straightforward. But if one of the questions was "do you think you need to be tested for COVID?" the guy would definitely say no 😄

1 hour ago, Success said:

Then they retire. 

terms of Employment are a real thing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

I too have been wondering about this, and came the following reasoning: I think some professional athletes, like dancers and others who rely on elite body performance, can be extremely careful and anxious about what they put in their bodies.

There are enough anecdotes and stories circulating out there of athletes having enlarged heart muscle, fatigue and other issues to freak athletes out. I hear them from my friends' kids who are high school and college athletes.

I am not saying this to defend any position (I am triple vaxxed myself and my own judgment is that the risks of being unvaxxed are worse).

I'm just saying I do understand why a world class athlete like Cole might be incredibly cautious about injecting his body with a substance that was developed this year. Especially if he has issues with trusting "the authorities" already, which might be the case.

And I believe we have to respect that choice even if we make the opposite one.

The common argument from people like Beasley is that the chance of covid becoming serious for them is low, so they don't want to risk taking a vaccine with potential side effects. But there are at least a few examples of covid severely impacting NFL players, such as Dawkins and Sweeney. Where are the examples like that for NFL players that took the vaccine? I haven't heard of a single case where an NFL player ended up in the ER or had to miss months of playing time, or anything close to that, because of vaccine side effects.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4