Beasley test positive

Buffalo_Stampede

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think you'd be surprised.  Some dont have the testicular fortitude for the consequences of running off at the mouth, and others would be too busy telling him how much they love him.     I'd put it right around 5%.

I guess we will never know.

20 minutes ago, Greg S said:

No surprise. He's young, probably doesn't have any other health issues like diabetes, and he's in shape. He was always in the category of having the odds in his favor of this not being a serious health issue.

And by next season covid will be treated like the flu - if you catch it and get real sick you don't play.  If you catch it and the symptoms are mild you will play.  Beasley claims his symptom are mild and he could play.  I believe him and suspect that he's payed with the flu before.

Covid has become endemic and the sooner the NFL understands this the better

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And by next season covid will be treated like the flu - if you catch it and get real sick you don't play.  If you catch it and the symptoms are mild you will play.  Beasley claims his symptom are mild and he could play.  I believe him and suspect that he's payed with the flu before.

Covid has become endemic and the sooner the NFL understands this the better

Since the league isn't testing vaccinated players daily I bet many players with Covid are playing right now and have been for some time.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Greg S said:

Since the league isn't testing vaccinated players daily I bet many players with Covid are playing right now and have been for some time.

I agree.  The Omicron variant seems to be the one that will make covid an endemic respiratory virus among human populations.  Like the flu, the key will be seeing how symptoms progress in the most a risk people. 

Vaccine interventions will probably be the choice of those wanting to take extra precautions and/or those at greatest risk much like those getting the flu vaccine skews to older Americans.  The rest of us will either rely on treatments, a new one should be available soon from Pfizer, or just powering through the symptoms like a lot of healthy people do with the flu.

And to be clear I'm not saying that covid was the same as the flu  That's an argument for another time and IMO it was more severe.  But RIGHT NOW the covid is going the way almost all respiratory virus go by becoming more infectious and much less virulent.  In other words it's become endemic and will join the pantheon of other corona virus in making up the common cold.  That is the reality of the present.

So if the NFL wants to avoid the embarrassing nightmare scenario of a team deep in the playoffs or in the Super Bowl losing key players to covid they will start treating it like the flu. Again, today's covid is not the same as last years covid. The situation has changed and the NFL and society needs to react accordingly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree.  The Omicron variant seems to be the one that will make covid an endemic respiratory virus among human populations.  Like the flu, the key will be seeing how symptoms progress in the most a risk people. 

Vaccine interventions will probably be the choice of those wanting to take extra precautions and/or those at greatest risk much like those getting the flu vaccine skews to older Americans.  The rest of us will either rely on treatments, a new one should be available soon from Pfizer, or just powering through the symptoms like a lot of healthy people do with the flu.

And to be clear I'm not saying that covid was the same as the flu  That's an argument for another time and IMO it was more severe.  But RIGHT NOW the covid is going the way almost all respiratory virus go by becoming more infectious and much less virulent.  In other words it's become endemic and will join the pantheon of other corona virus in making up the common cold.  That is the reality of the present.

So if the NFL wants to avoid the embarrassing nightmare scenario of a team deep in the playoffs or in the Super Bowl losing key players to covid they will start treating it like the flu. Again, today's covid is not the same as last years covid. The situation has changed and the NFL and society needs to react accordingly.

I agree with most of what you say as usual. However- see bolded, I'm still watching the hospitalizations data where I live locally and they've doubled in the last week. We've also had a group of deaths for the first time in a few months. I'm still in the observation phase on the bolded for Omicron.

• Like (+1) 1

If you’re lunch bucket Joe Schmo like me and decide to not get vaccinated I get it.  Who cares.  Miss a week of work. Big deal.  But if you’re Cole Beasley and 52 other guys rely on you to be out there.  And a million fans want you out there.  Seems a little selfish. I will never tell someone to get vaccinated but this has me scratching my head.  Are you a good teammate or not?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

I don't want to comment on Beasley or NFL covid protocols, I just want to say that at this stage there is like 100% chance that there will be more players tested positive until Sunday, probably many more. 

The only thing I truly wish now that Josh is not among them (followed by Diggs, Davis, Knox, Morse and Brown).

As for the season, odds of Allen (and anybody else for that matter) not getting it by SB seem to be very low, so we will need to be extremely lucky in this respect. Either that he won't get it, or he gets if for one game, we will win that game nevertheless and he comes back healthy.

1 hour ago, Beach said:

it seems Cole is only having mild symptoms, so it looks like he was right about trusting his immune system.  

The Omicron variant is milder, but spreads like wildfire.  Nothing to do with his immune system.  Where Omicron become a threat is in those who are high risk and/or immuno comprimised.  That's the danger it poses.  Not to the normal people that catch it, but the ease they can pass it to the truly vulnerable, given how easily it spreads.

Not going to comment on vaccination.  Just wanted to explain why Omicron is a serious threat despite it being milder in most people that catch it.  I have a bit of a stake in this.  My god-daughter has a compromised immune system, and this terrifies me.

8 minutes ago, Irv said:

If you’re lunch bucket Joe Schmo like me and decide to not get vaccinated I get it.  Who cares.  Miss a week of work. Big deal.  But if you’re Cole Beasley and 52 other guys rely on you to be out there.  And a million fans want you out there.  Seems a little selfish. I will never tell someone to get vaccinated but this has me scratching my head.  Are you a good teammate or not?  

Also getting paid around $7M annually to be out there.  A couple of shots?  What’s the big deal? He’s a tough dude no doubt.  Played with broken bones last year.  Still don’t get it.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But RIGHT NOW the covid is going the way almost all respiratory virus go by becoming more infectious and much less virulent.

35 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

today's covid is not the same as last years covid.

We don't know if this is true yet. There are some signs that omicron is less severe than previous variants but those are based on studies in countries with high vaccination and/or exposure rates. We don't have good data on how severe omicron is for an unvaccinated individual with no previous exposure to the virus. So the NFL should not change it's policy with regards to unvaccinated players until we know more.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I would pump the brakes on a couple of these statements. When there are significant differences in the demographics of one country (SA) vs. another (US), it's not so clear we can draw on their experience, so I would say we don't quite have the full picture on the virulance (especially since people can take a couple weeks to get sick enough to wind up in hospital, and deaths lag by a further 3-4 weeks after hospitalizations. 

There's also this little point of the Maths of a 2x more contagious but 10x less serious disease.    Bottom line up front, after 10 cycles of transmission, you can wind up with 100x more severely ill people, even if it produces severe disease in 0.1% vs 1% of infected people.

I would like your statements to be correct, of course.

I think it also may be time to get back to more of a Focus on Football here.

15 minutes ago, The Red King said:

The Omicron variant is milder, but spreads like wildfire.  Nothing to do with his immune system.  Where Omicron become a threat is in those who are high risk and/or immuno comprimised.  That's the danger it poses.  Not to the normal people that catch it, but the ease they can pass it to the truly vulnerable, given how easily it spreads.

Not going to comment on vaccination.  Just wanted to explain why Omicron is a serious threat despite it being milder in most people that catch it.  I have a bit of a stake in this.  My god-daughter has a compromised immune system, and this terrifies me.

Prayers for her continued good health.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

That was a concern Beasley raised before the season.

Now of course, since the league is only testing vaccinated players who self-report symptoms or who are "randomly selected", you are almost certainly correct.

What the NFL had to say about that is that

1) ~80% of those infected (keep in mind this is from before the season) had reported symptoms

2) All reported close contacts, vaccinated or not, were tested daily

then during the season added

3) only 20% of the vaccinated, infected players were able to test negative and return in less than 10 days - that means 80% of the vaccinated, infected players continued to test positive, albeit perhaps at a low cycle threshold, for longer than a week (the median time to not test positive after an infection is 20 days)

Putting those 3 things together, math sez it's very unlikely many infected vaccinated players were passing under the radar.  They would have symptoms, or they would test positive the following week.

Of course, "that was then, This is Now", and you're unquestionably going to be correct now.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Process said:

Can we cut these two right after the season? Or do we have to wait until June or something for cap reasons?

So, in other words, he’d be perfectly fine exposing all of his coaches + teammates to covid (he’s symptomatic = contagious) if the NFL would let him, even knowing that a # of his teammates have already been hospitalized with covid and one even missed an entire season after a mild case of covid (Sweeney)

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

I'm sure there are plenty. 

Cole's response Back in Preseason was "Oh Wait That Never Happens". 

I think it's a common phenomenon that people are emboldened to say crap online that they would never say to a person's face. 

We see a lite version of it as mods - I'm pretty damned sure that some of the crap people say to me in PMs, they wouldn't say to my face.

I expect Beasley has a lot of experience of people saying horrid things to him in social media sometimes but when he meets fans in public they're all "OMG Cole Beasley!  Love the way you play!", and see no reason to doubt his "Oh Wait That Never Happens".

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1