Beasley test positive

Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Are they? We don't know but with over 97% of the players vaccinated there is evidence that in fact vaccinated players are not getting back on the field all that much faster based on symptoms. The NFL protocol favors the vaccinated and perhaps it should, but we have no clue if the severity of the symptoms between the vaccinated and unvaccinated warrant the difference.

I can’t copy it, but google Stacy Klutts.  He is a pathologist who wrote a great article about the delta variant.  Basically what he says is what we know, that both vaccinated and unvaccinated folks can harbor virus, but that vaccinated people start to lose viral load in about 5 days while unvaccinated harbor it much longer.  And of course we know that the unvaccinated are at much higher risk of hospitalization and death.

We’ll have to see what happens with the omicron variant.  If suspicions are correct and it is even more infectious but not very virulent then the rules will change again.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

Not if they are in the hospital like Feliciano. 

Feliciano posted on Social Media that he left his hotel room Tues am (12/21) to take a 90 minute antibody infusion, came back, took a nap, and then felt pretty good and "hopefully it can stay like this"

Has he posted somewhere or has someone else posted, about him getting worse and going back to hospital to be admitted? 

'cuz that's the last he's said about himself

He's been tweeting and re-tweeting all kinds of schtuff, so he feels good enough to be reading and propegating it.

7 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Is this true?  Vaccination definitely reduces your chances of hospitalization and dying but my understanding is that the vaccinated can still spread the covid readily. The NFL is as close to fully vaccinated as you're going to get for any group of employees and yet covid is now spreading like wildfire through the league. Imagine how many would be testing positive if EVERY player was tested EVERYDAY?

All kinds of stuff getting mixed together here.

From the CDC:

"The Omicron variant likely will spread more easily than the original SARS-CoV-2 virus and how easily Omicron spreads compared to Delta remains unknown. CDC expects that anyone with Omicron infection can spread the virus to others, even if they are vaccinated or don’t have symptoms."

That's explicitly not the assumption the NFL is working on.  They are working on the assumption that vaccinated, asymptomatic players are NOT contagious and will not spread Omicron, especially given adherence to the NFL's "enhanced protocols" with masks, socially distanced eating, virtual meetings etc.

Here's the transcript of Dr Allen Sills (NFL Chief Medical Officer) media briefing on Dec 16.  It's pretty interesting.  Emphasis (bolding) mine.

https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/health-and-wellness/covid-19/media-briefing-transcript-dr-allen-sills-covid-19-updates-at-special-league-meet

It's not just that we're seeing more cases, we're seeing a different-looking set of cases. I think that's, first of all, far more players affected than staff. As you know we have about twice as many staff as we do players who are testing. Typically, we've run a higher ratio of staff cases to player cases. Over the past four to five days, we've seen that ratio inverted. So far more players affected than staff. Most importantly, a very, very large percentage of asymptomatic or mild illness. In fact, just looking at our data for the last two days, two-thirds of people have no symptoms at all that have been diagnosed. The others have very mild symptoms, symptoms that might [not] even require them to seek a test under ordinary circumstances.

I'll point out one other thing, and that is you know that we've put some of our clubs that have had large numbers of cases in an enhanced protocol. And we've actually gone back and looked at the effect of that. Does that work? And basically, we just studied five of those, we just completed the analysis, four of those five clubs had no additional positive cases after we got them into that protocol. The other one had a little bit of a trickle out. So, I think we're learning again from that, as we're learning all the time, that these measures that we put in place really do seem to stop the spread within the building and we'll have to lean on that now in this new phase.

QUESTION: The PA has been pushing for some time now, daily testing for players. What is the counter for the NFL for not doing daily testing, especially, as you say, the rules have changed, the dynamics have changed?

SILLS: Well, I think we always look at all of the tools we have at our disposal, and testing is one of the tools that we have at our disposal. And it's a very useful tool in certain areas, but what testing doesn't do is prevent transmission, and we've known that always. And that was true last year, it's still true today. And so, again, as we look at how to respond, what we're trying to do is prevent spread within the facility and keep people from testing positive. "Keeping them from testing positive" takes us back to their immunity: getting the booster, getting their antibody levels up. "Spread within the facility" is more about these other measures that I just spoke about. [enhanced protocol - masks, distancing etc]

QUESTION: A few minutes ago you said that testing doesn't prevent spread, I understand that, but wasn't one of the key elements of last year's success story that the frequency of testing allowed you all to remove a positive case from the group environment that much more quickly because you're getting that feedback every 24 hours instead of less frequently? And that that gave you more real-time information about whether games can proceed or not? Has something changed that is less so the case now or?

SILLS: Well, I think circumstances have changed substantially. First and foremost, the biggest change is vaccination, right? You look and see that we're 100% vaccinated with our staff, 95%, almost, vaccinated with our players and we have a lot more information this year than we did a year ago.

And what we actually published, if you go back to January of 2021 we published with the CDC our NFL experience. And the messaging of that wasn't that it was testing that was the key, the key was our recognition of the factors that drove transmission and our ability to adjust and pivot our protocols around those factors, which was, again, the in-person gathering, the ventilation, the use of masks, the tracing of high-risk contacts.

So again, let me clear, testing is a tool, it's a tool that can offer certain things but it has certain limitations. And I do think, as I said, you have to look at each era -- or each phase -- of the pandemic as to what the value of testing is. And while it provided us some useful information last year we were in a different phase of the pandemic now, and it's very clear, as I said, that routine surveillance testing of asymptomatic people has not provided – has not stopped spread or stopped transmission. It's these other measures that we have to focus on.

I thought this was pretty illuminating about why the NFL made the choices it made, especially since I was one of those saying "if you're going to test, test EVERYONE"

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And for those posting Beasley's loss top the Bills.  Yes will miss him, but in terms of production, he is 44th in receiving yards and 40th in catches for first down (yes 16th in catches).

If you want to compare Apples to Apples, how about comparing him to other slot receivers or at least to other receivers who aren't their team's number 1 receiver?

If you compare him to his peers, he is near the top.    He is exceptionally good at executing the things he is asked to execute.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

If you want to compare Apples to Apples, how about comparing him to other slot receivers or at least to other receivers who aren't their team's number 1 receiver?

If you compare him to his peers, he is near the top.    He is exceptionally good at executing the things he is asked to execute.

So you're a fan....  Good for you.  He hasn't had a particularly good year.  Maybe injuries, but the #'s don't lie.  Take receiver pairings, and remember we have a top 5 qb (forget Pro Bowl voting😜) and frankly the #'s are underwhelming.  

More balls to Diggs, Davis & maybe even Mackenzie this week I hope.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So you're a fan....  Good for you.  He hasn't had a particularly good year.  Maybe injuries, but the #'s don't lie.  Take receiver pairings, and remember we have a top 5 qb (forget Pro Bowl voting😜) and frankly the #'s are underwhelming.  

I'm not a fan of the guy.   I am a fan of the production.   

He has a the best hands of any of the Bills starting receivers.   In a situation where you need a first down late in the game, he is the most clutch receiver on the team.    He has the highest catch percentage of any of the Bills starting receivers.  He has more yards after the catch than Diggs, with fewer catches.   Wait?  What?  That can't be true?  I thought he just dives to the ground when he catches the ball?  Go look it up.

And if you compare him to other team's slot receivers or just other teams' second or third receivers you would see he is near the top.   You are just too lazy to do it because you know you would be proven wrong.   You let your hate for the guy blind you to the truth about his exceptional ability to play his position.

Dude is an outstanding receiver. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I'm not a fan of the guy.   I am a fan of the production.   

He has a the best hands of any of the Bills starting receivers.   In a situation where you need a first down late in the game, he is the most clutch receiver on the team.    He has the highest catch percentage of any of the Bills starting receivers.  He has more yards after the catch than Diggs, with fewer catches.   Wait?  What?  That can't be true?  I thought he just dives to the ground when he catches the ball?  Go look it up.

And if you compare him to other team's slot receivers or just other teams' second or third receivers you would see he is near the top.   You are just too lazy to do it because you know you would be proven wrong.   You let your hate for the guy blind you to the truth about his exceptional ability to play his position.

Dude is an outstanding receiver. 

But has had a so so year....  If you're happy with your #2 receiver on a pass happy offense with 640 yards, great.....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But has had a so so year....  If you're happy with your #2 receiver on a pass happy offense with 640 yards, great.....

They are dumping off to him more on short routes than last year (based on YBC/R, ADOT).

go yell at the coaching staff...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I just don’t think Daboll has this offense clicking and in sync this year & Cole seems to be a victim of that and maybe the rise of our tight end has cut into his opportunities. The conditions are there he should be thriving in but he’s not getting the ball his way… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

19 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Are they? We don't know but with over 97% of the players vaccinated there is evidence that in fact vaccinated players are not getting back on the field all that much faster based on symptoms. The NFL protocol favors the vaccinated and perhaps it should, but we have no clue if the severity of the symptoms between the vaccinated and unvaccinated warrant the difference.

Are they not getting back because they're symptomatic, or because they're contagious just as long... even with no symptoms? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I just don’t think Daboll has this offense clicking and in sync this year & Cole seems to be a victim of that and maybe the rise of our tight end has cut into his opportunities. The conditions are there he should be thriving in but he’s not getting the ball his way… 

The Cole hate is so strong here LOL. Anyone who thinks Dabolls play design and situational awareness of when to call what play has been good this year when we play physical teams with the ability to pressure a qb is delusional. To keep expecting the line to hold for longer developing routes with no hot routes or check downs available is insanity. But let’s blame Cole for his downturn in production and not the system being implemented.