Beasley test positive

Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Again I hope Beasley will be OK because I don’t want any more people to die from this virus.  But to say he’s missing the game not because of the virus but because of rules is simply ridiculous.  The NFLPA and the league figured out the rules, and then amended the rules recently.  Every single player in the league knew those, knew what was expected, knew the consequences.  But Beasley chose to ignore them.  And now pays the price.  It would be akin to him going onto the field, throwing an illegal crack back on a guy, and then telling us the penalty had nothing to do with him not following the rules.

It seems you're having a hard time grasping what his point is,  He is not playing because of the rules.  He is physically able to play.  So it is not the virus making him so sick he can't suit up, but instead he is out because of the rules.

And Beas was one who was upset with the NFLPA.  Remember early on, he questioned the rules.  Apparently the NFLPA did not reach out to the players as a whole, but instead agreed to the policy with the owners.  It seemed through Beas and others comments, that the NFLPA underestimated the opposition to their position.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

It seems you're having a hard time grasping what his point is,  He is not playing because of the rules.  He is physically able to play.  So it is not the virus making him so sick he can't suit up, but instead he is out because of the rules.

And Beas was one who was upset with the NFLPA.  Remember early on, he questioned the rules.  Apparently the NFLPA did not reach out to the players as a whole, but instead agreed to the policy with the owners.  It seemed through Beas and others comments, that the NFLPA underestimated the opposition to their position.

He got through last year without issue.  So he had no problem following rules then right?  And now it bit him in the ass, and because he’s unvaccinated and thus more likely to spread the virus he’s out.  He could have made the choice to be vaccinated and did not.  It’s on him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The common argument from people like Beasley is that the chance of covid becoming serious for them is low, so they don't want to risk taking a vaccine with potential side effects. But there are at least a few examples of covid severely impacting NFL players, such as Dawkins and Sweeney. Where are the examples like that for NFL players that took the vaccine? I haven't heard of a single case where an NFL player ended up in the ER or had to miss months of playing time, or anything close to that, because of vaccine side effects.

There are professional athletes that allege that they’ve had side effects from the vaccine.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He got through last year without issue.  So he had no problem following rules then right?  And now it bit him in the ass, and because he’s unvaccinated and thus more likely to spread the virus he’s out.  He could have made the choice to be vaccinated and did not.  It’s on him.

Beas got through last year without issues.  And he followed the rules.   Seems like he didn't think the rules under those circumstances were unreasonable.

Beas got upset this year.   He didn't like how they (owners/NFLPA) adjusted the rules in light of an available vaccine.  One possible reaction to the availability of a vaccine would be to loosen the restrictions for everybody.  Instead they decided to discriminate between vaccinated and unvaccinated.

IMO, I think Beas' frustration this year stems from the discriminatory policy.  IMO, I think the NFLPA did a terrible job in negotiating a set of rules for a post vaccine environment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Beas got through last year without issues.  And he followed the rules.   Seems like he didn't think the rules under those circumstances were unreasonable.

Beas got upset this year.   He didn't like how they (owners/NFLPA) adjusted the rules in light of an available vaccine.  One possible reaction to the availability of a vaccine would be to loosen the restrictions for everybody.  Instead they decided to discriminate between vaccinated and unvaccinated.

IMO, I think Beas' frustration this year stems from the discriminatory policy.  IMO, I think the NFLPA did a terrible job in negotiating a set of rules for a post vaccine environment.

The discrimination between vaccinated and unvaccinated was because vaccinated were much less likely to spread the virus or get significantly ill.  The omicron variant may change that, and if as suspected it is more infectious but less severe then at some point you have to start treating it like other viral diseases; you have vaccines and such but if you’re going to be stupid you take your chances.  Bottom line still is that he could have chosen to be vaccinated, didn’t, and now he’s out of a critical game because of that choice. 

51 minutes ago, SCBills said:

There are professional athletes that allege that they’ve had side effects from the vaccine.  

What NFL player has had a side effect that took them off the field for a while? Athletes wanting to be careful with what they put into their bodies is understandable, but there are now plenty of test subjects so at this point we would have expected to see that downside if it existed at even a fractional level.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

You're guessing on the reasons for the discrimination.  The league and the NFLPA have a long history of leaning left (Rooney rule/Kneeling).  Their response to this issue is in line with a political leaning.  Much more likely they enacted these rules due to those leanings than concern for how ill the player got.

Your conclusion that Beas is now out because of his choice of not getting vaccinated is pure conjecture.  Many players are out because of the covid rules- vaccinated or not.

Vaccinated guys can get back in much quicker.  Beasley can’t.

2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

I too have been wondering about this, and came the following reasoning: I think some professional athletes, like dancers and others who rely on elite body performance, can be extremely careful and anxious about what they put in their bodies.

There are enough anecdotes and stories circulating out there of athletes having enlarged heart muscle, fatigue and other issues to freak athletes out. I hear them from my friends' kids who are high school and college athletes.

I am not saying this to defend any position (I am triple vaxxed myself and my own judgment is that the risks of being unvaxxed are worse).

I'm just saying I do understand why a world class athlete like Cole might be incredibly cautious about injecting his body with a substance that was developed this year. Especially if he has issues with trusting "the authorities" already, which might be the case.

And I believe we have to respect that choice even if we make the opposite one.

I'll bet you whatever you want that Beas has taken plenty of things along with injections he has no idea about, but was told it'd help his play, increase strength, numb aches and pains or improve performance.

But he's a COVID-19 expert.

Don't be so daft.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The rules do make a difference. 94.6% of NFL players are fully vaccinated, compared to 72.6% of the adult population in the USA (and only about 60% of adults from 18-49 years old). NFL players are not inherently more pro-vaccine. All of the restrictions the NFL places on unvaccinated players have drastically increased their vaccination rates.

OK, so the vaccination rate is higher.  How is that making a difference in the number of players that are currently infected?  That is the area where it doesn't appear to be making a difference... 

My point being, the protocol should be the same, not penalizing certain players causing them to miss more games.  

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Is this true?  Vaccination definitely reduces your chances of hospitalization and dying but my understanding is that the vaccinated can still spread the covid readily. The NFL is as close to fully vaccinated as you're going to get for any group of employees and yet covid is now spreading like wildfire through the league. Imagine how many would be testing positive if EVERY player was tested EVERYDAY?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Exception, not the rule.

Are they? We don't know but with over 97% of the players vaccinated there is evidence that in fact vaccinated players are not getting back on the field all that much faster based on symptoms. The NFL protocol favors the vaccinated and perhaps it should, but we have no clue if the severity of the symptoms between the vaccinated and unvaccinated warrant the difference.

• Agree 1