I said it earlier this week...COMMIT to Devin as a feature runner. No more committee.

Alphadawg7

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I made a case earlier this week that if we are going to be able to run the ball we must commit to one feature RB, and that back clearly should be Devin Singletary.  Our OL and RB's cant find a rhythm if they aren't seeing enough carries.  Use Brieda as a third down receiving back more and few runs to spell Devin, but without question Devin is our best runner.  

Daboll finally pulled his head out of his back side this week and ran the ball 22 times with Devin...a handful of that came about because we were chewing clock the second part of the 4th quarter protecting the lead.  But its what we needed to do, and it benefited Devin and our run blocking today allowing us to run the ball more effectively when it mattered.  I realize Devin had a 3.9 ypc, but that was more due to late game obvious runs.  

And this was behind a patchwork offensive line with several guys hurt and playing out of position. 

I hope they stick to this featuring of Devin as the primary runner and keep getting him 15+ carries per game min.  

pushing hard for this:

also, 11 of his 22 carries and 50 of his 86 yards came in the 4th Q, Bills up 24-8.

2 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I still like Moss over Devin just need a better o’line coach.

Question:  Why?  

I ask because Moss lacks the vision Devin has.  I have seen have wide open lanes and then cut back into traffic away from them to a 2 yard gain instead of what would have been a big gain had he taken the lane right in front of him.  Moss is slower to the hole, doesn't find the creases, and often misses huge lane opportunities too.  And with an OL that doesn't provide a lot of lanes, you must be able to take advantage of those when they come.  

58 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

pushing hard for this:

also, 11 of his 22 carries and 50 of his 86 yards came in the 4th Q, Bills up 24-8.

The point was, we stuck with ONE back.  And those carries were important, he was chewing clock down.  I acknowledged the late game carries in the OP.

And Devin could have easily been a 1000 yard back this year if not for Daboll's stubbornness.  Surprisingly though, Devin still could get to 1000 yards this year over the next 4 games if we commit to running the ball these last 4 games.  He needs 377 yards to get there, and he is averaging 4.7 ypc.  

He needs to average 95 yards per game (admittedly, not likely given our OL and our OC allergy to running).  Based on his ypc, he needs 20 carries a game.  And while he got 22 this game, I do seriously doubt he will average 20 the next 4 weeks.  

That being said, all it would really take is one breakout game where he got say 125+ yards rushing.  if he did that in one game, then suddenly he just needs to average about 75-80 yards on the ground the other 3 games which is doable.  

So, we will see...I have not given up on the fact he could be a 1000 yard back.  But clearly, if they had just committed to giving him the bulk of the carries, he would have EASILY been a 1000 yard back this year.  And my preseason post predicted he would be the guy getting the bulk of the carries.  Sadly, it seems to have taken Daboll until week 15 to realize that is what he needed to do all along.  Yet Devin still has a shot at 1000 yards.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Question:  Why?  

I ask because Moss lacks the vision Devin has.  I have seen have wide open lanes and then cut back into traffic away from them to a 2 yard gain instead of what would have been a big gain had he taken the lane right in front of him.  Moss is slower to the hole, doesn't find the creases, and often misses huge lane opportunities too.  And with an OL that doesn't provide a lot of lanes, you must be able to take advantage of those when they come.  

And honestly, the smaller Devin seems to gain more YAC and drag people than Zack...who I was led to believe was the more physical back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Rick 'r Mortis said:

And honestly, the smaller Devin seems to gain more YAC and drag people than Zack...who I was led to believe was the more physical back.

Agree, Devin moves piles more than Moss.  There is this myth that Moss does around here for some, but its just factually not true.  I mean just this past game, numerous times Devin is being gang tackled but still managed several more yards after the fact just moving the pile.  Devin is short, but he has powerful legs and a low center of gravity, so he doesn't get the credit he deserves for how hard of a runner he is.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The point was, we stuck with ONE back.  And those carries were important, he was chewing clock down.  I acknowledged the late game carries in the OP.

And Devin could have easily been a 1000 yard back this year if not for Daboll's stubbornness.  Surprisingly though, Devin still could get to 1000 yards this year over the next 4 games if we commit to running the ball these last 4 games.  He needs 377 yards to get there, and he is averaging 4.7 ypc.  

He needs to average 95 yards per game (admittedly, not likely given our OL and our OC allergy to running).  Based on his ypc, he needs 20 carries a game.  And while he got 22 this game, I do seriously doubt he will average 20 the next 4 weeks.  

That being said, all it would really take is one breakout game where he got say 125+ yards rushing.  if he did that in one game, then suddenly he just needs to average about 75-80 yards on the ground the other 3 games which is doable.  

So, we will see...I have not given up on the fact he could be a 1000 yard back.  But clearly, if they had just committed to giving him the bulk of the carries, he would have EASILY been a 1000 yard back this year.  And my preseason post predicted he would be the guy getting the bulk of the carries.  Sadly, it seems to have taken Daboll until week 15 to realize that is what he needed to do all along.  Yet Devin still has a shot at 1000 yards.  

Pretty sure any of the 3 backs on the roster could have run those yards in the 4th Q with a blowout in hand..  I wouldn't conclude much of anything from the numbers in that game. In the other 3 Q's, 11 carries, 36 yards. 

Singletary is our best back in every category.  He isnt big but gets tough yards.  Reliable pass blocker and this year has added some explosive plays.  I would still dress Moss.  As a pass blocker he is worth dressing.  Breida is a gimmick player and liability as a blocker.  As a pass heavy team thats the most important thing.  Singletary hasnt been given an extended look as a lead back.  Even as a rookie Gore stole snaps.  

8 minutes ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

Because I blame everything on the offensive line he only goes we’re they tell him to run.   But no matter what Devin gives Moss has the ability to take it the distance on any run and has the hands to catch  passes out of the backfield plus he is an excellent pass block.  He has talent to be a force.

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Pretty sure any of the 3 backs on the roster could have run those yards in the 4th Q with a blowout in hand..  I wouldn't conclude much of anything from the numbers in that game. In the other 3 Q's, 11 carries, 36 yards. 

Here we go again...lets take out a bunch of his production that was IMPORTANT to the outcome of the game as he effectively ran the ball to chew down clock when the game was still not decided yet.  Just so someone can make a false counter point?  

Come on, thats ridiculous.  The game is 4 quarters...the plays, yards and points matter the same throughout the game.  Not to mention, he hit a great TD run that finally gave some life to the offense that had been sputtering.  

PS:  You are also missing the point here overall...its about giving one back the lions share of the touches instead of a committee.  Not about when and where they were productive.  Its about making the offense more cohesive with more consistency in the lineup.  And like someone else said, that should include Gabriel Davis continuing to be more involved in the offense as well.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

If Moss was 30 pounds heavier.  They keep drafting 205 pound running backs and calling them between the tackle runners.  I certainly wouldn't argue with a 3rd and short goaline back to go with DS but someone who came in around 230 plus pounds would be a nice start.  That's probably why our third down/goal line back is also our QB.

Agree with this...I like the approach they've taken in not allocating huge FA money or first round draft picks to the RB position, but we likely haven't drafted the right guys. If we had drafted Rhamondre Stevenson and Kenneth Gainwell for example, our rushing attack would have a variety of skillsets and athletic traits as you mentioned.

Of course, all of this is difficult to judge with our offensive line struggling the way it has in 2021 and I don't mind Singletary tbh, but I would love someone like Stevenson on our team instead of Moss. 

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here we go again...lets take out a bunch of his production that was IMPORTANT to the outcome of the game as he effectively ran the ball to chew down clock when the game was still not decided yet.  Just so someone can make a false counter point?  

Come on, thats ridiculous.  The game is 4 quarters...the plays, yards and points matter the same throughout the game.  Not to mention, he hit a great TD run that finally gave some life to the offense that had been sputtering.  

PS:  You are also missing the point here overall...its about giving one back the lions share of the touches instead of a committee.  Not about when and where they were productive.  Its about making the offense more cohesive with more consistency in the lineup.  And like someone else said, that should include Gabriel Davis continuing to be more involved in the offense as well.  

Yes, his 1st TD was a boost.

But no,   The majority of his production when the game was out of hand in the 4th Q.  They weren't killing clock to keep a hot Offense off the field.  They were still up by 2 scores even after Carolina scored with 6 minutes left against a team that could not attempt a FG and would need 2 TDs.  They were just putting the hapless Panthers out of their misery as quickly as possible.  

They gave him every carry but 1 in the Q.  They could have given anyone of the guys the ball--same result.  It's an obvious counterpoint.  

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, his 1st TD was a boost.

But no,   The majority of his production when the game was out of hand in the 4th Q.  They weren't killing clock to keep a hot Offense off the field.  They were still up by 2 scores even after Carolina scored with 6 minutes left against a team that could not attempt a FG and would need 2 TDs.  They were just putting the hapless Panthers out of their misery as quickly as possible.  

They gave him every carry but 1 in the Q.  They could have given anyone of the guys the ball--same result.  It's an obvious counterpoint.  

Disagree still.  There was enough time where if we don't move the chains, the game was not over.  And I disagree that any of our backs could have done that because Moss hasn't been good at hitting holes of finding creases and Brieda has been ineffective all together unless he happens to get the ball in space, which our OL rarely provides.  

Point is...Devin saw the field the bulk of the snaps.  He not only hit a momentum shifting TD run we needed, he also picked up multiple key first downs when the game mattered and on plays where the gain wasn't there and he either shifted his way through or flat our bulldozed the pile forward.  Several times one of our other backs would have lost yards and he instead turned the play into a positive as well.  

These things matter in sustaining drives, and when we don't run the ball at a high volume, keeping one guy in rhythm is better for the offense overall.  

Singletary ran hard yesterday and he is clearly the best rb we have on the roster right now so I'd tend to agree that he should be getting the majority of the touches. Breida is just not a good inside runner at all is limited to outside runs and the passing game. Moss has been sluggish most of year and just has been unimpressive to say the least. I still think Singletary is more of a complimentary scat back and our running game is flawed without a true power back to get the ball in obvious short yardage situations or to close out games. 

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Disagree still.  There was enough time where if we don't move the chains, the game was not over.  And I disagree that any of our backs could have done that because Moss hasn't been good at hitting holes of finding creases and Brieda has been ineffective all together unless he happens to get the ball in space, which our OL rarely provides.  

Point is...Devin saw the field the bulk of the snaps.  He not only hit a momentum shifting TD run we needed, he also picked up multiple key first downs when the game mattered and on plays where the gain wasn't there and he either shifted his way through or flat our bulldozed the pile forward.  Several times one of our other backs would have lost yards and he instead turned the play into a positive as well.  

These things matter in sustaining drives, and when we don't run the ball at a high volume, keeping one guy in rhythm is better for the offense overall.  

the game was over.  Bills were up by 2 TDs with 6 min left against one of the worst QBs playing right now not named Taysom Hill.

Josh running every play could have kept that drive alive.  Breida could have taken half those runs.  McKenzie had an 8 yard run on that same series.  They were gashing the Panthers at that point.   It was over...

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Surprisingly though, Devin still could get to 1000 yards this year over the next 4 games if we commit to running the ball these last 4 games.  He needs 377 yards to get there, and he is averaging 4.7 ypc

I agree w all your posts and sentiment...but we only have 3 games left, so DS will need to avg 126y/g.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.