I said it earlier this week...COMMIT to Devin as a feature runner. No more committee.

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I like the idea of keeping two RB's fresh but since we rarely run in anyways I tend to agree with just featuring one prime back.  We need to upgrade though.  I want best o-lineman available and then best RB available in next year's draft.

I agree we don't run enough for a rotation to matter. If anything we keep our rbs out of a rhythm. I have always firmly against drafting any rb in the 1st but after this year I could be convinced. The good news is all the way too early mock drafts and rankings are showing almost all rbs falling into the 2nd or later.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I made a case earlier this week that if we are going to be able to run the ball we must commit to one feature RB, and that back clearly should be Devin Singletary.  Our OL and RB's cant find a rhythm if they aren't seeing enough carries.  Use Brieda as a third down receiving back more and few runs to spell Devin, but without question Devin is our best runner.  

Daboll finally pulled his head out of his back side this week and ran the ball 22 times with Devin...a handful of that came about because we were chewing clock the second part of the 4th quarter protecting the lead.  But its what we needed to do, and it benefited Devin and our run blocking today allowing us to run the ball more effectively when it mattered.  I realize Devin had a 3.9 ypc, but that was more due to late game obvious runs.  

And this was behind a patchwork offensive line with several guys hurt and playing out of position. 

I hope they stick to this featuring of Devin as the primary runner and keep getting him 15+ carries per game min.  

Problem is the Bills could use this strategy with a lead. Not from behind. And they don’t often have leads any more. 

It sure helped and I hope they continue to feed him in future games. Give him at least 15 touches a game.

2 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

Been saying this all season, but I got a lot of "But Moss is better in pass pro!!!!"

Singletary is decent in pass protection too, so it shouldn't be a hard decision. 

The nice thing about Singletary is he is shifty and he also has good contact balance so he is tough to bring down once he gets a little momentum. Even though he is small he can still break through tackles and get a couple extra yards, sometimes more. The problem is when he is hit immediately. He doesn't have enough sand in the pants to deal with immediate contact.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Right there with you, it was clear that Devin has been the best back. He looks a step quicker (for Motor) and extremely decisive out there. Shifty. He's not perfect but he's very good and getting slightly better in a lot of different ways year-over-year it seems. 

Problem is a lot of AFC teams have +1.5 or so Motor's on their roster so I still want to see this team invest heavily in a back next year. Henry, Taylor, Chubb, Mixon, now NE with Stevenson...the balance is shifting a bit and we're going to need a top-15 RB performance regularly to really make a statement I think. We already know our QB is better, but the AFC has been adapting to Baltimore for years, and you can't get by with middling RB play. Singletary has earned his place. Moss is so sadly disappointing I'm afraid, so a huge need right now is somebody who's at good as Motor at least, but ideally is clearly much better.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I agree we don't run enough for a rotation to matter. If anything we keep our rbs out of a rhythm. I have always firmly against drafting any rb in the 1st but after this year I could be convinced. The good news is all the way too early mock drafts and rankings are showing almost all rbs falling into the 2nd or later.

I'd only draft one in the 1st round if he's a dual threat and we're picking in the 28 to 32 range.  Then get five years (or six with a franchise tag) out of him with no extension.  Fans fall in love with the player though so it's difficult to commit fully to that.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I made a case earlier this week that if we are going to be able to run the ball we must commit to one feature RB, and that back clearly should be Devin Singletary.  Our OL and RB's cant find a rhythm if they aren't seeing enough carries.  Use Brieda as a third down receiving back more and few runs to spell Devin, but without question Devin is our best runner.  

Daboll finally pulled his head out of his back side this week and ran the ball 22 times with Devin...a handful of that came about because we were chewing clock the second part of the 4th quarter protecting the lead.  But its what we needed to do, and it benefited Devin and our run blocking today allowing us to run the ball more effectively when it mattered.  I realize Devin had a 3.9 ypc, but that was more due to late game obvious runs.  

And this was behind a patchwork offensive line with several guys hurt and playing out of position. 

I hope they stick to this featuring of Devin as the primary runner and keep getting him 15+ carries per game min.  

I don't think it matters.

He was just fine early in the game before he "got into rhythm" with a lot of work.

If they go that way, fine, but IMO not a big deal either way. They've always gone with the hot hand, and that's what they did here.

Edited by Thurman#1

Dude is extremely consistent and looks better this year when given opportunities. Lifetime 4.8 ypc, and on the season going into today he was at 4.9, Daboll has just failed to properly utilize him consistently. 

That’s on 400+ career carries, behind an OL that routinely struggles in run blocking, and no super long runs to skew the numbers.  

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive been saying all season to keep Moss on the bench.  Singletary is just fine as a back.  He doesn't get opportunity or many holes.  Thats his only problem unless comparing to someone like Henry.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.