I said it earlier this week...COMMIT to Devin as a feature runner. No more committee.

Alphadawg7

I made a case earlier this week that if we are going to be able to run the ball we must commit to one feature RB, and that back clearly should be Devin Singletary.  Our OL and RB's cant find a rhythm if they aren't seeing enough carries.  Use Brieda as a third down receiving back more and few runs to spell Devin, but without question Devin is our best runner.  

Daboll finally pulled his head out of his back side this week and ran the ball 22 times with Devin...a handful of that came about because we were chewing clock the second part of the 4th quarter protecting the lead.  But its what we needed to do, and it benefited Devin and our run blocking today allowing us to run the ball more effectively when it mattered.  I realize Devin had a 3.9 ypc, but that was more due to late game obvious runs.  

And this was behind a patchwork offensive line with several guys hurt and playing out of position. 

I hope they stick to this featuring of Devin as the primary runner and keep getting him 15+ carries per game min.  

• Like (+1) 21
  • Agree 13
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I mean he'll still be a featured back on a pass first team and I'm ok with that but he should definitely be getting 10 to 15 carries a game.  He's the shiftiest runner we've got and if it weren't for a couple big runs getting called back on penalties I think he might have had 100 yards today.

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’ll give you that it was an improvement, but I still don’t believe DS is fast enough or powerful enough to belong in feature back territory. 

Well no one is coming in to replace this year...so I am referencing featuring him rest of the season, stop this committee nonsense they did all year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well no one is coming in to replace this year...so I am referencing featuring him rest of the season, stop this committee nonsense they did all year.

I can agree if only because no other backs on the roster are worthy of more than a few carries to spell DS.  If moss was what we wanted/expected him to be, I’d definitely be down with a “thunder and lightning” backfield 

• Agree 1

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I can agree if only because no other backs on the roster are worthy of more than a few carries to spell DS.  If moss was what we wanted/expected him to be, I’d definitely be down with a “thunder and lightning” backfield 

Moss has no vision, that is his biggest issue.  Slow to the hole and misses creases that Devin sees.  Our line isn't good enough to make Moss a good runner.  He might do well on a well blocking team, but we aren't that.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

If Moss was 30 pounds heavier.  They keep drafting 205 pound running backs and calling them between the tackle runners.  I certainly wouldn't argue with a 3rd and short goaline back to go with DS but someone who came in around 230 plus pounds would be a nice start.  That's probably why our third down/goal line back is also our QB.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agreed but there were a couple of runs today where if he just had more burst he would’ve had monster gains.  That cutback in the red zone for example.  It’s too bad he’s not faster.

Agree with the “more speed” would be nice sentiment. Another spect is that our second level blocking generally stinks. The Oline routinely fails to get second level blockers, and outside of Davis our WRs are average (Diggs) at best at run blocking. Better blocking by our pass catchers would spring a big run here or there…. Still…. Singletary’s speed is far from elite. 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agreed but there were a couple of runs today where if he just had more burst he would’ve had monster gains.  That cutback in the red zone for example.  It’s too bad he’s not faster.

you work to your strengths.  It is on Daboll to make plays that will utilize him

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't care, or think it matters much, who they hand the ball to from time to time, as long as it's not very often.

The mob mafia wants Singletary?  Give them Singletary.  

😂

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

I feel like everyone had this take a few weeks ago, so not exactly a revelation. Moss has been garbage this year. Breida can’t be trusted, but should be mixed in a bit.

i actually had the opposite take, and said that we should be featuring Moss (albeit a lot earlier this year). 

That has to be the second dumbest thing I have said on this board— the first being that Ryan Leaf would be better than Peyton Manning  

• Haha (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

In fairness..........there probably aren't a dozen RB's who both make that play to get the cutback and then also run past those defenders.     That play should have been over behind the LOS.   If he had those extra wheels that 4.8 career ypa would probably look more like Nick Chubb's career 5.3 ypa.

• Like (+1) 2

I like the idea of keeping two RB's fresh but since we rarely run in anyways I tend to agree with just featuring one prime back.  We need to upgrade though.  I want best o-lineman available and then best RB available in next year's draft.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.