How are we supposed to feel about this win??

PromoTheRobot

18 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Maybe we should expect a serviceable running game, a front four that can consistently generate a pass rush and stop the run, and an Oline that can protect our franchise QB. Funny how I read all the predictions on the Bills record. No one had the Bills 8-6 after 14 games. No one had them in 2nd place in the AFC East. No one had them fighting for a playoff birth. Let's be honest on this board. Go back and look at your predictions and expectations. 

All true criticisms.

And it's been beaten to death........but it's true........literally every team has significant issues this season.

There is no truly outstanding team at this time.    Which is unusual.

In certain other sports it's not really uncommon for a "not great" team to make it to the finals and sometimes win it.........the Montreal Canadiens in NHL last year or the Washington Nationals in MLB a couple years ago would be a couple examples.

We aren't used to that in the NFL so I think our tendency is to write this Bills team of because of it.

When I think of SB teams that didn't look like one during the season I think of teams like the 1985 Patriots or the 1994 Chargers........not so many since.........and unlike those two seasons there really isn't a "super team" waiting on the other side of the bracket.

So maybe this is the year where one or both of the SB teams has a lot of flaws.  

But considering the Bills huge and likely to expand point differential..........I don't even know if anyone would be able to look back and say the Bills were a weak SB team if they reached it this season. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Last year we were these three things away from being 10-6

A Rams comeback falling short

A cam newton fumble on a last minute game winning (or at least forcing OT) drive

A close (field goal only) game with the Jets 18-10.

This year we are these 3 things away from being 11-3 at the moment with 3 games left:

An Allen "trip" away at the Titan 3 yard line to win

A crappy 9-6 field goal game against the Jaguars

A game winning drive falling short at the 15 yard line in a crazy windy game against the pats.

The team isn't drastically worse than last year. Did the ball not bounce our way in a few scenarios? Yeah. It happens. Is the Oline in need of work? Absolutely.

I don't mind criticism, but there is a distinct difference between criticism and just berating the team. Some posters here just love to berate the team and make silly definitive statements such as "weak and soft" and "can't compete with the tough teams" and it's like are you even watching? 

Bills control their own destiny at this point in the division, so fighting for their playoff lives is a little dramatic.

Great post and input. Enjoyed the read. However, I vastly disagree with your premises. Every year there are games that are won and lost by a small margin. To go back and " cherry pick" them seems disingenuous. Great and good teams usually find a way to win and vice versa. 

This team is clearly worse than last year. "Dramaticaly" worse probably not. That's a matter of semantics. Last year was a special year! You could feel it game after game. Even after the devastating Cardinal loss you could still feel that "Bills fever." The team seemed destined. Like it was our year. Diggs and Allen were unstoppable!!! It was the best version of the NFL's Batman and Robin...Fast forward to this year and I'm not feeling much or any of that. In fact, I'm not sure which team is going to take the field. Like at the Tampa game for evidence. Allen is mostly running for his life and the team consistently losing the battle in the trenches. It's hard to see a pathway where the Bills can win a series of playoff teams vs quality teams. Sure it can happen and I hope it does. The Bills are in a fight to win the division and make the playoffs. Currently, they hold the last wild card spot. 

As for criticism, it's clear it's mostly not welcomed here. I fully understand it's more fun to be optimistic. This message board is is a fantastic avenue to get various inputs, information, and opinions. I respect the knowledge, input, and opinions of the posters here. The board is dynamic, fluid, and evolving. People's inputs should be respected especially if they are supported by valid facts. With that said, I know I'm on borrowed time here. I hope to continue being a member of this special board.

Go Bills!!! Beat New England. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills did what they needed to against another lessor team.

And just like with the Jets, Saints, etc in recent weeks this game doesn't move the needle and anybody that's been paying attention knows how this predicable movie is going to play out specifically in another game next week against a team that isn't the Panthers, Jets, etc.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

If the Panthers had a kicker, he would have stopped our final TD? Please keep telling me your ideas about how this game would have gone differently. I'm enjoying it.

That was a 4th and 2 when the game was over. You can make the case "technically not over" but then that means we didnt handily win, so it would make your point moot.

Had we kicked a FG, kneeled it, punted, handed it over to the refs the panthers werent going to win the game. So yeah 24 pts is what I would say we had that game.

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

And just like with the Jets, Saints, etc in recent weeks this game doesn't move the needle and anybody that's been paying attention knows how this predicable movie is going to play out specifically in another game next week against a team that isn't the Panthers, Jets, etc.

Well, according to J. R. R. Tolkien, trolls turn to stone in daylight. I'm guessing you never leave the basement.

• Haha (+1) 1

What does this have to do with Carolina's kicker being injured?

What? The panthers would have been able to play more conventional football instead of going for it on 4th down every time.

They would have just kicked FGs and added more points to the board.

Right. I think 18 points is a fair prediction for their kicker. Or somehow if they had a kicker we wouldn't have scored 31 points, I guess.

Who is saying we would have lost? 

I dont get what youre saying.

In my opinion I do not feel good about this win. They didnt play well and this game was much closer than it had to be, and if they had a kicker it would have been even closer.

Do I think we still win if they have a kicker? Yes of course.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

All true criticisms.

And it's been beaten to death........but it's true........literally every team has significant issues this season.

There is no truly outstanding team at this time.    Which is unusual.

In certain other sports it's not really uncommon for a "not great" team to make it to the finals and sometimes win it.........the Montreal Canadiens in NHL last year or the Washington Senators in MLB a couple years ago would be a couple examples.

We aren't used to that in the NFL so I think our tendency is to write this Bills team off because of it.

When I think of SB teams that didn't look like one during the season I think of teams like the 1985 Patriots or the 1994 Chargers........not so many since.........and unlike those two seasons there really isn't a "super team" waiting on the other side of the bracket.

So maybe this is the year where one or both of the SB teams has a lot of flaws.  

But considering the Bills huge and likely to expand point differential..........I don't even know if anyone would be able to look back and say the Bills were a weak SB team if they reached it this season. 

Great post! Fantastic analysis and input. 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

This game is a game that they are suppose to win almost a gimme but this season that hasn't always happened like the Jags game 😪.

If they had played the tough teams the way they have the teams they are suppose to beat then i would have a lot more confidence there really wasn't a team on the schedule this year that they shouldn't have beaten especially after last seasons schedule & who they beat .

I haven't been real confident in the offense this year but i think Gabe Davis is a huge part of this offense for what ever the reason & seeing that he hasn't had as many reps this year they have struggled but i'm hoping given his return under unforeseen circumstances that they click a bit more with him on the field rather than the bench !! 

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I wouldn’t say that…the panthers and saints have quality defenses and most of our issues have been on the offensive side outside of the colts game.  The fact that we could move the ball shorthanded on the oline against the panthers is quite impressive.  Compare that to when we only put up 6 points against the jags in a similar situation.  Pats defense is pretty comparable to the panthers but people don’t really realize that because they see the panthers overall record and dismiss them completely.  Tough to say what’s going to happen in the pats game because the wind was such a huge variable last time 

4 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I wouldnt count that last TD...either way im sure the entire flow of the game changed for the panthers negatively.

Can’t really play this game…if they put up more points kicking the football then our offensive playcalling likely becomes more aggressive for a longer period of time…the only time the ‘what if’ game really works is when your receiver gets tackled in the end zone to close out a game and it costs you 4 points 😂

I'm happy because the Panthers D is good, but it wasn't a good game. 

From Football Outsiders:

Game Spotlight: Buffalo Bills 31, Carolina Panthers 14

What Happened: Panthers kicker Zane Gonzalez suffered an injury during warmups. Cam Newton spent the afternoon executing what looked like a six-play game plan, and "Cam dives off tackle" was at least two of the plays. The Bills should have cruised to victory, but they needed some Panthers fourth-down blunders and a late-game garbage-time touchdown to make this closer-than-it-should-have-been game show as a blowout on the scoreboard.

What it Means: The Bills are not being graded on their ability to beat the pathetic Camthers but on their readiness to face the Patriots again. On that curve, they get a C- at best.

Early Bills drives stalled. They needed to get the ball near midfield to score their first two touchdowns. Josh Allen threw a costly interception before halftime. Cam's QB Power plunges and short RPO tosses were more effective than they should have been. The Bills would have been in real trouble if the Panthers could have kicked field goals or run a game plan longer than a kiddie menu. If the Bills start slowly, execute poorly, and fail to adjust to a run-heavy game plan of routine plays against the Patriots next week, well, we have already seen the results.

The Bills may want you to believe that they recorded a statement win on Sunday. It was really more of a mumble.

What's Next: Bills-Patriots II: Return of the Mac.

The Panthers face the Buccaneers twice in the next three weeks. And frankly, they deserve it.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2021/zombie-steelers-just-wont-quit

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.