12/19/21 Gameday Bills vs Panthers Postgame Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

30 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Maybe my expectations are too high. I saw a sloppy game where the better team couldn’t really get it going consistently. If this game was against a better team and that was the result I’d feel better; I guess I expected a more complete and consistent win. Hard to explain. 

100% there's a lot to improve on, and I can understand why it's frustrating. 

If any neutral football fan watched the game today they'd would call it a dominating win for Buffalo though. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

100% there's a lot to improve on, and I can understand why it's frustrating. 

If any neutral football fan watched the game today they'd would call it a dominating win for Buffalo though. 

Good point, bro.

Some fans get so lost in every play or every detail that they don’t see the big picture of a win or a good win.

Every team has moments, quarters or halves in a game where they look flat or don’t look good. But the emotions can get so high over a few to several plays that it can cloud a fans view of their team’s performance. But like you said, take a neutral fan without the emotion, and they think, “they did well and controlled the game”.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

The Bills were out of the playoffs after the Bengali's won.

The the Ravens lost and the Bengals now lead the division and the Dirty Birds are on the outside looking in :)

Incorrect.  The Bills are still in 7th currently.  Depends on the Browns game though.

11 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Hopefully the oline, which is subpar to begin with, gets their LT and Mongo back. You, Ethan in Portland (who prophesied an epic loss and McD on the verge of being fired), and Gene1973 are among the most persistently negative posters on this board. The Bills have disappointed, partly through miscalculations in roster construction, but also because they've had some ill luck and egregious officiating that have contributed to their mediocre record. None of that makes them a bad team.

I don't think the Bills are a bad team. They have a fantastic franchise QB that lots of team would die for. Many solid players, a stud CB and WR and great young emerging TE. 8-6 isn't bad but I think we all expected better. This upcoming game should tell us a lot about this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Special K said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but is it actually possible that Cody Ford played a decent game today?

Sort of, check out Freds "Ford's Report" thread.

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

If the bills lose next week and the Dolphins win, both teams would be 8-7 🤮

But good news, we hold the tie-breaker over them 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Maybe my expectations are too high. I saw a sloppy game where the better team couldn’t really get it going consistently. If this game was against a better team and that was the result I’d feel better; I guess I expected a more complete and consistent win. Hard to explain. 

It’s such a strange team. A few quick strikes followed by 3 quarters of pretty ugly football. I’ve never seen a team blow people out but look so bad doing it.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Incorrect.  The Bills are still in 7th currently.  Depends on the Browns game though.

It was a perfect weekend. The Colts won and the Bills took advantage by getting back to within a game of the Pats. It would be nice if the scoreboard would go our way in the other games but the Bills control their own destiny for the division and playoffs. That is the only thing that matters.

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Correct me if Im wroing but I think the 2 snaps Brown missed was a timeout benching after the taunting call. I remember the cameras showimg coach talking to Brown after the personal foul and then Brown going to sit down.

I could be wrong but I liked the benching. Semmed to have an impact on Brown 

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This game was on the edge of a Bills blowout. They stripped Newton on his one run, but the panthers recovered. They had two near picks. And Newton miraculously hung onto a ball when Obada blew him up on a sack.

It’s those types of turnovers that have caused the panthers to get demolished. Just some lucky bounces for them today, otherwise this would have been a laugher.  

So glad you pointed out this play and reminded me of it...Newton looks washed as a passer, but he's still so tough to bring down as a runner and I honestly don't know if there is another QB in the NFL who hangs onto that ball like he did. The classic tomahawk to the throwing arm and the ball didn't even budge, that was one of those 'whoa he's different' kind of plays Newton can still pull off every so often with his size and strength. 

One other key takeaway for me after reading through this whole thread today:

The INT Josh threw was an incredible play by an incredible player in Jeremy Chinn. He dropped into the flat while keeping his eyes on Allen the whole time and baited him to throw into the window behind him. Then he used his elite athleticism to change direction and make the leaping grab. Josh had the window to throw that ball and only a small handful of DBs could have gotten back into position to even attempt that play. You'd love to have it back and Josh wasn't perfect yesterday, but sometimes you have to tip your hat to the opposing player. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The Bills were an injured Carolina kicker away from having that a 1 possession game. Let's not forget how fortunate Josh was that his 1st qtr fumble wasn't a scoop td for Carolina. The flag on 93 that extended our td drive was terrible. We got breaks and our OL as usual played poorly. I could care less about point differentials. This team is right now barely a playoff team. We are just not built completely to surround Josh. Beane will have his most important offseason with this organization. OL first and foremost. 

With Dawkins it's a whole different game.  

4 hours ago, CNYfan said:

Morse can't have 100% of snaps at C; and Bates also have snaps at C.

What position did Bates actually play, I think he was an extra OL on some heavy sets.  I think OT would be correct

I'm assuming Bates was a 6th OL on 6 plays.  I think Doyle played in place of Brown and Williams on the 2 snaps each they didn't play.

7 hours ago, Governor said:

It’s such a strange team. A few quick strikes followed by 3 quarters of pretty ugly football. I’ve never seen a team blow people out but look so bad doing it.

Well put. That’s what I’ve been trying to say. I watch a lot of football and would agree that when you’re emotionally involved as a fan, the highs are high and the lows are low.  That said I don’t see the Bills as this dominating team. They seem to get by even if the score is lopsided. It’s a strange thing for sure. 

7 hours ago, Governor said:

Did you even watch the game. They scored 17 in the first half, another 14 in the second half, spread across al but the first quarter. Quick strikes? Seriously, what game were you watching?

18 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

brown had a lot of penalties but he didnt look as bad as Dawkins has been lately

His foot injury is why he was off but he still played a Hell of a game, that long run was impressive

He looked terrible. He couldn't handle Burns at all one on one. He was abused all game.

14 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Well put. That’s what I’ve been trying to say. I watch a lot of football and would agree that when you’re emotionally involved as a fan, the highs are high and the lows are low.  That said I don’t see the Bills as this dominating team. They seem to get by even if the score is lopsided. It’s a strange thing for sure. 

The thing to remember is that Carolina's defense is for real. 2nd in yards allowed and with arguably the best pass rushing tandem in the league. They abused the Bills' line in pass rushing situations all game, and the talent differential was significant. They are a talented unit overall. 

They were also aided by the fact that the Panthers have the worst quarterback in the league. Newton missed two very makeable TD throws where the receivers -- Sneed and Moore -- had gotten behind the Bills defenders (Wallace first and Jackson later). 

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.