12/19/21 Gameday Bills vs Panthers Postgame Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

41 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

How? He's still very young and could be a very good player. However, today he sucked. Is that what you mean by potential? 

He did not completely suck. He had a tough assignment, a weak LG next to him, and a brand new position. Anyone expecting him not to make mistakes was being unrealistic. I see a ton of potential out of his performance today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not the only one who commented on his mediocre play. At halftime,  Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson, Howie Long, etc... showed several clips of Allen's poor play. I guess we see what we wanna see. 

Yeah, it's the in thing to do these days, talk down the Bills and Allen.  Lots of talk on the shows about not knowing if they can "trust" the Bills due to inconsistency.  Whatever.  Only one thing shuts people up and that's winning.  I suspect if we beat New England and win out to take the division, they'll still be talking about the inconsistency during a playoff run too.  It's become the media's mantra about the Bills.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Hopefully the oline, which is subpar to begin with, gets their LT and Mongo back. You, Ethan in Portland (who prophesied an epic loss and McD on the verge of being fired), and Gene1973 are among the most persistently negative posters on this board. The Bills have disappointed, partly through miscalculations in roster construction, but also because they've had some ill luck and egregious officiating that have contributed to their mediocre record. None of that makes them a bad team.

That's more than fair. The Bills have vastly underperformed this season. You have given some valid reasons why. The bottom line is this team from top to bottom has been a disappointment. This team has its own destiny in its hand. If they produce, execute, and beat quality teams I will be the first to praise the team. 

• Angry 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He did not completely suck. He had a tough assignment, a weak LG next to him, and a brand new position. Anyone expecting him not to make mistakes was being unrealistic. I see a ton of potential out of his performance today.

People here would have cut Josh after his first year. Patience. Most fans don’t have it and don’t understand the game at a deep enough level to make these player assessments 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I saw a raw rookie from a division II school playing a position he's never played before, improving as the game went on. The taunting penalty is just a maturity issue. Give this man an entire NFL offseason and I think he will be a stalwart on our line for the next decade.

Sorry...but 5 penalties!?! Has that happened before? I like Brown but that is unexcusable. 

Edited by 716

1 minute ago, Georgia Bill said:

Yeah, it's the in thing to do these days, talk down the Bills and Allen.  Lots of talk on the shows about not knowing if they can "trust" the Bills due to inconsistency.  Whatever.  Only one thing shuts people up and that's winning.  I suspect if we beat New England and win out to take the division, they'll still be talking about the inconsistency during a playoff run too.  It's become the media's mantra about the Bills.  

Can’t blame the media. It’s true. A lot of them picked the bills to win it all. Do you trust this team?

16 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not the only one who commented on his mediocre play. At halftime,  Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson, Howie Long, etc... showed several clips of Allen's poor play. I guess we see what we wanna see. 

You mean when they showed three of his seven incompletions and didn’t mention that he was 15 of 22 with a TD pass?

You’re right about one thing: we see what we wanna see.

If three TD passes against the league’s #1 pass defense is “subpar”, then your expectations are unrealistic.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's more than fair. The Bills have vastly underperformed this season. You have given some valid reasons why. The bottom line is this team from top to bottom has been a disappointment. This team has its own destiny in its hand. If they produce, execute, and beat quality teams I will be the first to praise the team. 

Riiiiiiiiight.

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course they did, they hate Josh Allen for some reason.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree. His play was mediocre at best. Perhaps it was his injury? The Bills need a way better version of Allen to win vs quality teams. 

Mediocre? He had some poor throws early on but I thought his mechanics were not right at those points. Quite likely the ankle is still bothering him. As the game went along, he did very well. The Panthers record is not good but their D is. 

Calling his performance mediocre is a lazy take

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It was at this moment it became obvious that you simply want to get reactions out of folks. Which is of course what's happening, so good on you for achieving your goals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

He admitted as much after the game. Cut the guy a break. He was playing a position he hadn't before, is a rookie and was playing a good D line. 

Two things can be true at the same time:

1. He had a terrible game as far as his play and ability to control his temperament. This warrants criticism.

2. He is a rook, was playing out of position and needs time to be better at his craft.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

• Like (+1) 1

I think that this is a more solid win than a lot of people are giving the Bills credit for. 

Stuff to work on? Sure, but how many drives were stalled out by Spencer Brown alone?  There were some miscues from Allen but he did more good than bad.  Davis looked like a legit #2 and Singletary did fairly well. 

The Bills definitely got too conservative on first/second down in the second half.  We aren't going to be a clock control team this season.

Defense held solid on 4th downs and did exactly what the scheme is supposed to do: Bend don't break.

So yeah, solid win. Keep that rolling into next week.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.