2022 RB Draft class looks pretty good

78thealltimegreat

Offensive Line

Offensive Line

This team needs a decent line and has for years. I knew it was the biggest weakness going in to the season and sure enough, another promising season is sunk by it. Regardless of reason or blame the line is still the problem and a better running back doesn't solve it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Totally agree. Beane's strategy this offseason HAS to be committing 3 high picks to G/C. Even if that means signing a big name FA like Scherff.  Most of the resources have to be focused on OL.  I'm not thrilled about our 3 headed rb monster but I could live with Singletary one more year then go shopping in 23 for an elite RB. The only thing that terrifies me is McD will insist on a defensive player somewhere in the first 3 rounds. 

To be fair to McD though (in terms of Defense), we still do need to figure something out at DT given Star is struggling to stay on the field and is vital to our run D with the lack of size outside of him.  And there is still the Edmunds wild card...is he in our future plans or do we need to draft one too?  

So I am all on board the OL early strategy, but I also won't be upset if they are on the clock and take a DT or LB that is higher graded on their board either.  

I have a feeling our first 3 picks will be some combination of a two offensive lineman and a defensive player, likely a run stuffing beef cake at DT.  

Then again, Beane stays pretty true to his board, so all depends who is on the board still while we are picking.  Also won't be shocked to see him move around the draft this year either.

44 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Don’t worry…it’s not in the DNA of team leadership.  You are more likely to see another 1st round DL or OL than you are to see a 1st round running back 

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Beane was part of the regime that took first rd RBs in 2006 and 2008.  Hard to tell after just a few years in which they took 2 RBs in rd 3.  I hope that your correct.  

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I get what you're saying about the one year wonder thing, but I think if you look at his output at Wake you may see that its not completely accurate.  He scored 13 touchdowns in 2020, and while his yards per carry could have been higher in 2020, his overall work at Wake was good despite a lack of touches.     May have been even better if he wasnt splitting carries.

The main difference I see between Walker and Hall is the explosiveness to their first read.   Hall is a more patient runner, but Walker makes decisions a lot faster, which is what I think the Bills really need.

Breece shows the patience like Leveon Bell when he runs. When he sees that hole, he’s gone. He also knows how to make himself “skinny” when running inside. I’m hoping teams see Breece as the 2nd/3rd rated back in the draft, but I think the combine will show his talents

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be fair to McD though (in terms of Defense), we still do need to figure something out at DT given Star is struggling to stay on the field and is vital to our run D with the lack of size outside of him.  And there is still the Edmunds wild card...is he in our future plans or do we need to draft one too?  

So I am all on board the OL early strategy, but I also won't be upset if they are on the clock and take a DT or LB that is higher graded on their board either.  

I have a feeling our first 3 picks will be some combination of a two offensive lineman and a defensive player, likely a run stuffing beef cake at DT.  

Then again, Beane stays pretty true to his board, so all depends who is on the board still while we are picking.  Also won't be shocked to see him move around the draft this year either.

Hey I get it. We need a 1T monster and a CB2  really bad.  If we can court Scherff than that frees up a high pick for 1T.  CB2 is not as high a priority with guys like Wallace,  Jackson and Lewis serviceable.  The possible CB pick will also depend on how Tre's rehab is going. The emphasis this spring still has to be centered on OL.  I sick and tired watching Josh run for his life.

On 12/16/2021 at 6:46 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Obviously if Zack Moss turns it around would be the best news but should he keep getting benched…

With KJ Walker declaring for the draft there’s like 5 top 2ish round kinda prospects 

Bryce Hall Iowa State

Isiah Spiller (no relation to CJ) Texas A&M

Zamir White Georgia 

KJ Walker Sparty

Zach Charbonnet UCLA

The Bills could actually get a nice Guard prospect cause it is deep at Guard in the first

Comeback with RB to get at least Moss

replaced and immediately upgrade the depth at two positions 

No mention of Kyren Williams? Hes everything that we wished Singletary and Moss would be and more.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Breece shows the patience like Leveon Bell when he runs. When he sees that hole, he’s gone. He also knows how to make himself “skinny” when running inside. I’m hoping teams see Breece as the 2nd/3rd rated back in the draft, but I think the combine will show his talents

While draftnetwork has him as the 6th overall back (behind Walker, Charbonnet, Spiller, Kyren Williams, and James Cook) I think he is definitely the 2nd best back going into the combine.  What could hurt him is timed speed.  I think the gap between he and Walker for the best RB in the draft is wider than the gap between he and Charbonnet for 2nd best overall back.  If he goes into the combine and runs slow you could see Charbonnet over take him.   

I still think he is a better football player than Spiller, Williams and Cook.  Spiller has his own speed concerns and both Williams and Cook are sub 200 lb backs.   For what its worth Kyren Williams is a pit bull, but at 195 lbs you'd really like to see a faster player.  Overall, Breece would really help himself if he showed he has sub 4.55 speed.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hope you’re right.  It’s possible as long as Dawkins returns to pre COVid form.  He’s been one of the worst OLmen on the team this season. Brown vs TB was laughable.  He was the worst player on the field in the first half.  Mental mistakes up the wazoo.

I have faith in those two. Dawkins will get better with an offseason. Brown has the tools, he's still a rookie with only a few starts.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:47 PM, Nextmanup said:

I would hate for us to burn a 1st or 2nd round draft choice on a RB!

When you have a Derrick Henry or a Najee Narris type sitting there at the end of the first or in the second you run to the podium. Stevenson was there, and that beast will be a thorn in our side for years to come. 

Zach Moss whiffed big time partying with Isaiah McKenzie, that breaking curfew thing, and literally it just completely has backfired.  We don't know truthfully what's going on with the running backs, with Singletary he's a work horse, does his best, and leaves it out on the field.  Breida is making Moss look like he just punted his career away.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Hey I get it. We need a 1T monster and a CB2  really bad.  If we can court Scherff than that frees up a high pick for 1T.  CB2 is not as high a priority with guys like Wallace,  Jackson and Lewis serviceable.  The possible CB pick will also depend on how Tre's rehab is going. The emphasis this spring still has to be centered on OL.  I sick and tired watching Josh run for his life.

I personally think we are in good shape at CB2 as Wallace has had a very good season and Dane has thus far played well too.  Of course, that’s assuming a full recovery from Tre too though 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.