The absence of sacks in Sean McDermott’s defenses

JohnNord

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

Maybe stop looking at just one stat.

You should do better research next time. Bills tied with second most sacks last year.

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

"The absence of sacks in Sean McDermott's defense" 

Bills tied for second most sacks last year...

Hmm... nope, not off at all.

Do you work for the Browns now?  Sounds like you’re in charge of their research team. 

oh the irony

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/16/2021 at 11:53 AM, brianthomas said:

as others have said, its the missed tackles that are our biggest problem. Also when its defending the run or the pass, its the run side we have the most trouble with, again due to poor tackling.

To the sacks tho, BILLS are 1st in the league in hurry % vs opposing QB's

image.thumb.png.0866c3ccf973a800ca6d7dee55047a3e.png

2ND in the league for QB pressures + hurries & knockdowns per play

image.thumb.png.d498de8357bba937982426f7b65d4160.png

So the pressure IS there. We just dont complete the play at the end with a sack or tackle, which once again its the tackling thats been an issue imho

Isn’t that Jerry Hughes in a nutshell? Pressure but doesn’t get home. It’ll be interesting to see if Von Miller gets home. That’s what he does.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

McDermott’s d-line mass rotation scheme raises the floor of line’s performance but also lowers the ceiling.  That’s why we couldn’t make a play to beat the chiefs. 

He hasn’t really had anyone that makes plays on the DL.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It will be interesting to see how many sacks from from the INTERIOR DL.....

We brought back a DT that really got them while he was here.....Oliver is a beast......Settle looks like he can get after it to

Pressure from the inside makes things on the outside a lot easier. 

• Like (+1) 2

Our ability to win a SB will come down to the DL.  We see so often fans defend McD and Fazier by saying we're getting pressures, hurries and knockdowns.  Yet passes can still be completed under these 3 scenarios. We need 10+ from Groot and Von this season. We need the supporting staff including DB's to pitch in. I don't care where the sacks come from as long as they come.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Our ability to win a SB will come down to the DL.  We see so often fans defend McD and Fazier by saying we're getting pressures, hurries and knockdowns.  Yet passes can still be completed under these 3 scenarios. We need 10+ from Groot and Von this season. We need the supporting staff including DB's to pitch in. I don't care where the sacks come from as long as they come.

Nah… our ability to win the SB will be on the offense to continue to be productive and score points. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah… our ability to win the SB will be on the offense to continue to be productive and score points. 

Lotta good that did us in our last 2 playoff loses. We scored points against KC in both games yet couldn't stop squat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Lotta good that did us in our last 2 playoff loses. We scored points against KC in both games yet couldn't stop squat.

The offense was bad against KC in the AFC championship in 2020…. And they punted 4 times against them in this years past playoff game in which they had a total of 4 yards or so in the 3rd quarter before the bomb to Davis….. Despite the narrative, the offense went into a lull for much of that game against KC.

The defense needs to be better against the better teams of the league, but the teams success rides and dies with Allen and the offense as usual. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And they punted 4 times against them in this years past playoff game in which they had a total of 4 yards or so in the 3rd quarter before the bomb to Davis….. Despite the narrative, the offense went into a lull for much of that game against KC.

Wait! what? 

Did you just refer to 5 total, 4 passing TD’s as A lull? 

Yup. 5 TD’s is quite a LULL 

I’d take a 5 TD effort every day. 

On 12/15/2021 at 8:09 PM, JohnNord said:

These are the team sack leaders:

2017: 4 - Shaq Lawson/Jerry Hughes 

2018: 7 - Hughes

2019: 9.5 - Jordan Phillips - Lawson (6.5)

2020: 5 - Mario Addison/AJ Klein 

I also went back to his defenses in Carolina.  In most cases the numbers were similar those Greg Hardy had one monster year with 15 sacks, Charles Johnson had a pair of 11.5 sack seasons, and Addison regularly finished with close to 10 sacks.  

Is there something about the defensive rotation or scheme that prevents the Bills from getting to the QB?  

When players lead the team with 4 or 5 sacks… that’s not very good.  

No problem. Our first round corners will take care of everything.

Next seaon, perhaps we can draft a first round safety and REALLY fix the situation.

16 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Wait! what? 

Did you just refer to 5 total, 4 passing TD’s as A lull? 

Yup. 5 TD’s is quite a LULL 

I’d take a 5 TD effort every day. 

I thought they were outplayed for much of the game… and yet they still should’ve won….  And yea sometimes 5 TDs isn’t enough… especially when your coaching staff botches the last 13 seconds to lose the game. 

With that said, yes their offense went into a lull in the 3rd to early 4th quarter which allowed KC to score 9 unanswered points(should’ve been 13 if not for a rare missed FG and XP from Butker)….. it also took some 4th down heroics from Allen to pull off those 5 TDs. 

Anyway, I stand by my point that the teams overall success rides and dies with Josh Allen and the offense putting up points. You simply can’t rely on your defense to stop Mahomes, Rodgers, and Brady’s of the world when they are firing on all cylinders. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

bro. THEY DIDNT. they werent even in the top ten. they are referring to rousseau being tied for second in sacks on the defense.

That’s true Nasty.  We are tied for 11th with the SB appearance

Bengals.

You know who else had more sacks than us in 2021, the Vikings, Bears, Dolphins, and Browns.  You know what they have in common?  None of them made the playoffs.  They all had more sacks than us.  Guess what they didn’t have last year?  None of these teams were the #1 defense in the NFL.  The Bills were the #1 defense.

It wasn’t just adding Avon which is awesome and will draw double teams.  It’s the point we upgraded with Settle, Jackson, and Phillips on the inside to drive a lot more interior pressure.  I believe Phillips will have a bounce back year like his last here with 9.5 sacks from a Tackle.  These interior guys are also a big upgrade against the run especially Settle and Jackson.  This will allow Oliver to really penetrate.

On the outside we now have Von, but also Shaq who is good against the run, and GROOT and Basham should improve under the mentorship of Von.  Not to manyion Von gained about 8 lbs. of muscle which is about right for a 6’8” guy and clean.  When Cornelius Bennett gained 25 lbs. in one off season, it was very apparent to me he was juicing hard with Test and GH.  I used to be a national level Powerlifter 20 years ago so can tell easily who is juicing and who is clean.  7-8 lbs. in an off season can be just a hard training program with perfect nutrition.

All and all we face a tougher schedule at least on paper, but we have an even better defense on paper (especially if we get Tre back week 1 - IDC even if he doesn’t do training camp). This is year 6 of this defense for Tre.  He just needs to be in NFL shape by September.  

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

That’s true Nasty.  We are tied for 11th with the SB appearance

Bengals.

You know who else had more sacks than us in 2021, the Vikings, Bears, Dolphins, and Browns.  You know what they have in common?  None of them made the playoffs.  They all had more sacks than us.  Guess what they didn’t have last year?  None of these teams were the #1 defense in the NFL.  The Bills were the #1 defense.

It wasn’t just adding Avon which is awesome and will draw double teams.  It’s the point we upgraded with Settle, Jackson, and Phillips on the inside to drive a lot more interior pressure.  I believe Phillips will have a bounce back year like his last here with 9.5 sacks from a Tackle.  These interior guys are also a big upgrade against the run especially Settle and Jackson.  This will allow Oliver to really penetrate.

On the outside we now have Von, but also Shaq who is good against the run, and GROOT and Basham should improve under the mentorship of Von.  Not to manyion Von gained about 8 lbs. of muscle which is about right for a 6’8” guy and clean.  When Cornelius Bennett gained 25 lbs. in one off season, it was very apparent to me he was juicing hard with Test and GH.  I used to be a national level Powerlifter 20 years ago so can tell easily who is juicing and who is clean.  7-8 lbs. in an off season can be just a hard training program with perfect nutrition.

All and all we face a tougher schedule at least on paper, but we have an even better defense on paper (especially if we get Tre back week 1 - IDC even if he doesn’t do training camp). This is year 6 of this defense for Tre.  He just needs to be in NFL shape by September.  

Please stop with the #1 defense stuff. No rational person thinks the Bills had the best defense in the NFL last year. 

As for the rest of your post. I agree with all points. The DL overall talent level looks much better than last year. I would have kept Hughes for one more year, but I liked Lawson when he was here. I really hope Basham earns a lot of playing time to keep Miller fresh down the stretch. 

I'd be fine if they started Tre on PUP list and he came back week 7. Hopefully they will have a better sense of how ready he will be. There are still some veteran corners they could sign for the first 1/3rd of the season. 

• Vomit 1

Ethan, bud I wasn’t losing and we were the #1 defense.  You may not agree, but you simply look at NFL Team stats and yes we were #1.

Im not sure on Tre.  He was injured at thanksgiving and had ACL surgery I believe in December.  By September, that’s 10 months.  It’s very conceivable with newer techniques he might be ready.  Maybe not.  With Dane’s development after Tre’s injury, and now with Elam taken in the 1st round ahead of where we took Tre in 17, I don’t think they’ll bring in a veteran.  You’d think if they were concerned they would’ve brought one of the vets in right after the draft so they could be at mini camps/OTA’s so they could acclimate to the McD system.

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

No problem. Our first round corners will take care of everything.

Next seaon, perhaps we can draft a first round safety and REALLY fix the situation.

Well they have spent 4 premium picks on pass rushers - Oliver, Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa. Their draft investment in DBs is two 1sts 5 years apart and then nothinf before round 4. 

GB, I agree.  They invested in 17 as you know in one of the best safety tandems in the league and one of the reasons our pass defense is always at the top.  We have Poyer this year, and either we offer $20 mil., $15 guaranteed to keep him, but if he rejects as it will be his last major contract, then we draft high.  Even if he accepts an offer like that one, we still will use a higher draft pick on a safety.

GB, it’s a year away so we can discuss in detail next off season and see what happens this season, but my year early bet is along with a safety, we’ll draft an Interior O Lineman, RB as we’ll not extend Singletary,  a Middle LB as its

a 50% bet they don’t extend Edmunds, and probably another WR or TE, or both.

Its a year away and hopefully our guys are hoisting a silver ornament for the off season.