Playoffs 2021.....

Bill from NYC

Wow, Georgia has players out including their QB. The NCAA announced there weird rules about teams stricken with covid and unable to field a team having to forfeit!!!

Can anyone begin to imagine the exploding heads across America if Alabama (whose OC and OL Coach (Marrone) tested positive) was named the national champions by virtue of covid??????

@ArdmoreRyno if the above happens, I am here to help. ;) All kidding aside, Happy Holidays and enjoy the games (if they happen).

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/22/georgia-bulldogs-jt-daniels-george-pickens-in-covid-19-protocol-nine-days-before-college-football-playoff/

Edited by Bill from NYC

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wow, Georgia has players out including their QB. The NCAA announced there weird rules about teams stricken with covid and unable to field a team having to forfeit!!!

Can anyone begin to imagine the exploding heads across America if Alabama (whose OC and OL Coach (Marrone) tested positive) was named the national champions by virtue of covid??????

@ArdmoreRyno if the above happens, I am here to help. ;) All kidding aside, Happy Holidays and enjoy the games (if they happen).

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/22/georgia-bulldogs-jt-daniels-george-pickens-in-covid-19-protocol-nine-days-before-college-football-playoff/

Ridiculous

5 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

I didn’t know the Cincinnati RB was an Alabama transfer. Kid probably couldn’t get on the field with the Tide and is now a featured back on a surprise playoff team. Good for him. Stories like this show why the portal is a good thing despite all the related headaches. 

As I recall, he was 4th if not 5th string. I'm serious. When he transferred out, nobody cared as far as I know. 

I too wish him well except for Saturday.

Edited by Bill from NYC

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

As I recall, he was 4th if not 5th string. I'm serious. When he transferred out, nobody cared as far as I know. 

I too wish him well except for Saturday.

I'm sure that's right, and I completely get it. He earned a scholarship at Alabama, which is quite an accomplishment for a teenager in any event, and once the reality set in about his place on the depth chart, he decided to bet on himself with a different program rather than wait and see if he would eventually get an opportunity with the Tide. I don't know anything about him or his situation, and I certainly don't second-guess the Tide's evaluation, but it's a sign of the times that he was able to transfer to another program and make an impact. Even with all the chaos that the portal creates among CFB programs, it's good to see that kids now have the freedom to change their situations if they are able to. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/22/2021 at 2:45 PM, Cynical said:

ou're just an attention seeking idiot looking to stir the pot.

Nice. Is this how Alabama fans are? 

I argue for expansion and you throw out insults. Real nice dude. 

And yea... I apologize, I meant Bill. That neglects my explaining to you I didn’t call anyone “subpar”, that was Bills term. 

FYI: The entire college fanbase hates Alabama like we hate the Patriots. No one outside Bama fans like the Tide. Zero. The Bama fans make that even more apparent. 

Have a good one. 

On 12/22/2021 at 3:45 PM, Cynical said:

In order to expand the playoffs, there are 2 options:

1) Have the playoff teams play more games (above the 15 being played now)

2) Reduce the amount of regular season games played to keep the total number down to 15.

You appear to advocate for option 2.

The problem with option 2 is asking the power conferences/teams to drop games from their schedule.

They can't drop conference games (obviously).

The only thing left is OOC games.

Do they drop the OOC game against another power team?

Or do they drop the guaranteed home game (and the revenue it generates) that comes with playing the 'sub par' teams?

IMO, the schools/conferences are not going to be overwhelming willing to eliminate any regular season games, making option 1 the more likely "solution".

Hence, why Bill keeps talking about playing additional games.

Thanks for helping me make my point. If Josh Allen played extra games and got a serious injury, he might not be the QB that he is today. Ask this kid how he feels right now about playing in a meaningless bowl game.  I sincerely mean it when I say that I think kids will opt out of playoff games if the playoffs were expanded. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ole-miss-qb-and-2022-nfl-draft-prospect-matt-corral-carted-off-field-after-ankle-injury-in-sugar-bowl-031432320.html

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thanks for helping me make my point. If Josh Allen played extra games and got a serious injury, he might not be the QB that he is today. Ask this kid how he feels right now about playing in a meaningless bowl game.  I sincerely mean it when I say that I think kids will opt out of playoff games if the playoffs were expanded. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ole-miss-qb-and-2022-nfl-draft-prospect-matt-corral-carted-off-field-after-ankle-injury-in-sugar-bowl-031432320.html

kids are opting out now because of other non NY6/CFP bowls are pointless. 

Expanding that gives them a reason to play. 

And what happened to Corral is rare. Kid has played his entire career like he did last night (my youngest is at Ole Miss) and he just got hurt. Could happen in week 1. So reduce the games by 1 (non conference). 

You still only have to play 15 total games. Alabama and UGA are doing that already. 

Again, I get why you don’t want it. You’re a Bama fan. 

44 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

kids are opting out now because of other non NY6/CFP bowls are pointless. 

Expanding that gives them a reason to play. 

And what happened to Corral is rare. Kid has played his entire career like he did last night (my youngest is at Ole Miss) and he just got hurt. Could happen in week 1. So reduce the games by 1 (non conference). 

You still only have to play 15 total games. Alabama and UGA are doing that already. 

Again, I get why you don’t want it. You’re a Bama fan. 

I am not ashamed to be a fan of the Crimson Tide. My long deceased father introduced me to them at age 10. Special things go on in Tuscaloosa when it comes to football, now more than ever despite our illustrious history. You make it sound like a curse.

Tell me for once, what games should NOT be  played in order to keep the max amount of games to 15? Should it be those against weak teams (Mercer, etc.)? Should it be some of the conference games? Should it be conference title games? 

If the games were all conference games it would be GREAT for you as an OSU fan, right? You could presumably feast on the pansy ass teams in your sissy conference, no? C'mon, really. Do tell us what it is that you want (as if we didn't already know). And btw, if all games were in conference, it wouldn't be fair to teams that play in a REAL conference.

I have some novel ideas:

1) Recruit as well as Coach Saban.

2) Find and hire a coach as good as Coach Saban.

3) Play better teams and beat them when it counts.

4)  Win more football games, even against the weak sisters in your conference.

Alabama won't be on or near the top forever. They are even the underdogs in the title game and really might lose. Would that sceerio pacify you for even a moment or 2?

Once again, Happy New Year and congrats for your win against ND.

Do the above and some day you will be in the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:
5 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I am not ashamed to be a fan of the Crimson Tide. My long deceased father introduced me to them at age 10. Special things go on in Tuscaloosa when it comes to football, now more than ever despite our illustrious history. You make it sound like a curse.

I never said being a Bama fan is bad. I think it’s made a lot of you (like your fellow fan calling me names instead of having a conversation) arrogant. 

Tell me for once, what games should NOT be  played in order to keep the max amount of games to 15? Should it be those against weak teams (Mercer, etc.)? Should it be some of the conference games? Should it be conference title games? 

Easy, don’t play Mercer or NM State. OSU doesn’t need to play Missouri State or Tulsa plus Boise. 

Play ONE non conference game. Why is that difficult? AGAIN, both Bama and UGA will play the same number of games as the other divisions. The same. Not more. It works for them. It can work for us. I’ve stated this over and over and you said we’d play 20 games. Which we wouldn’t. 

If the games were all conference games it would be GREAT for you as an OSU fan, right? You could presumably feast on the pansy ass teams in your sissy conference, no? C'mon, really. Do tell us what it is that you want (as if we didn't already know). And btw, if all games were in conference, it wouldn't be fair to teams that play in a REAL conference.

Huh? lol, dude... SEC is the most top heavy conference in the country and has been for YEARS. Hands down. How has the SEC looked in bowl games? You’re trying to make the claim the Big XII isn’t a “real” conference. Again, let me revert back to explain why everyone hates Alabama. The arrogance. Holy crap dude. 

I have some novel ideas:

1) Recruit as well as Coach Saban.

2) Find and hire a coach as good as Coach Saban.

3) Play better teams and beat them when it counts.

4)  Win more football games, even against the weak sisters in your conference.

🤦🏻‍♂️

1. There are few Sabans like there are few Belichicks. Few Woodens. Alabama is a blue blood. OSU will never out recruit Alabama or OU, etc. Like Alabama won’t out recruit OSU in hoops, why? History. With the NIL, will be even harder so it’s up to coaching and what you can do with your 3* recruits. 
2. Mike Gundy is one of the best coaches in college football. See my 3* comment. NO coach does what he does with less talent. Period. 
3. We do. ONLY team OSU has struggled with the past 15 years is OU. We beat everyone else. Including Texas. 
4. See #3 

I've explained my thoughts about what senecio would work. Several times. 

On 1/2/2022 at 10:36 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Easy, don’t play Mercer or NM State. OSU doesn’t need to play Missouri State or Tulsa plus Boise. 

Play ONE non conference game. Why is that difficult? AGAIN, both Bama and UGA will play the same number of games as the other divisions. The same. Not more. It works for them. It can work for us. I’ve stated this over and over and you said we’d play 20 games. Which we wouldn’t. 

I've explained my thoughts about what senecio would work. Several times. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but would the above result in non playoff teams playing less games per season?

If so, this would cost these schools a ton of money, no?

23 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but would the above result in non playoff teams playing less games per season?

If so, this would cost these schools a ton of money, no?

Yes. About $500,000 to $1 million on average I believe. 

So if that's the argument.... teams like Mercer and New Mexico State not making as much money is your ground for argument against an expanded Playoff, then you win. lol 

Good luck tonight. Hope it's a good game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Yes. About $500,000 to $1 million on average I believe. 

So if that's the argument.... teams like Mercer and New Mexico State not making as much money is your ground for argument against an expanded Playoff, then you win. lol 

Good luck tonight. Hope it's a good game. 

My argument consists of far more than that. It would seem as if all non-playoff teams would lose money, some quite a bit.

In any event, thanks for the well wish. I think that our best chance at beating them is with our defense. They couldn't stop our offense last time but that doesn't mean anything. The Tide needs to execute and forget the past.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.