Playoffs 2021.....

Bill from NYC

Does anyone wish to share views/predictions?

I'll start:

Imo these playoffs are wide open. I want to say up front that Alabama is nowhere near as good as they were last season. The thing is, please tell me who else is. I think that Bama can beat Cincy if they out muscle them. Another factor is that the more time Nick Saban has to prepare for a game, the better his chances are at winning. this is proven.

In terms of Michigan/Georgia, to be honest I am rooting for Michigan. I don't know enough about the Big 10 to make an assertion about how good Michigan is. I happen to believe that Georgia is very good. So, if Alabama does defeat Cincy, I would rather see them face Michigan than Georgia. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

I would appreciate any input from Big 10 fans, as well as UGA and Cincy fans. 

This might be the only Playoffs I'll give a rip about in a while because we have new blood in the water. 

I hope Cincy beats the piss out of Alabama. There are two Bama teams... the one that played against A&M, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas and one that played against Ole Miss & UGA. For MOST college football fans, Bama is like New England. We're sick of them. Completely sick. It's why I pray for a bigger playoff someday. 

I'd love to see this:

1. Alabama - BYE (v 8/9 winner)

2. Michigan - BYE (v 7/10 winner)

3. UGA - BYE (v 6/11 winner)

4. Cincy - BYE (v 5/12 winner)

5. ND vs 12. Pittsburgh

6. Ohio State vs 11. Utah

7. Baylor vs 10. Michigan State

8. Ole Miss vs 9. Oklahoma State 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

This might be the only Playoffs I'll give a rip about in a while because we have new blood in the water. 

I hope Cincy beats the piss out of Alabama. There are two Bama teams... the one that played against A&M, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas and one that played against Ole Miss & UGA. For MOST college football fans, Bama is like New England. We're sick of them. Completely sick. It's why I pray for a bigger playoff someday. 

I'd love to see this:

5. ND vs 12. Pittsburgh

Once again, I don't believe in expanded playoffs, although I do think that it will happen at some point in order to throw a bone to fans of lesser teams. I'm sure that you know what I mean.

17 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Once again, I don't believe in expanded playoffs, although I do think that it will happen at some point in order to throw a bone to fans of lesser teams. I'm sure that you know what I mean.

You might be in the 0.01% that doesn't want the expansion. Why not? 

College football is my first love, always will be... but there is NO sporting 'event' better than the NCAA Tournament. 64+4 teams getting to battle it out and ANYONE can win. Fans LOVE to watch it, it's exciting. If you've never attended a NCAA Tournament, it's an amazing atmosphere. Seeing a team like Florida Gulf Coast (15 seed) beat a 2 seeded Georgetown then make it to the Sweet 16 is so much fun. 

We'd have answers at that point. We'd see if a Baylor or Oklahoma State could compete with Bama, Georgia or Michigan. We would then FINALLY have a TRUE NCAA champion. Something we have never had in D1/FCS football. I feel the only ones against it are the fans of teams who always make it in... Bama and Clemson for example. 

I know we are well past the playoff decision time but I would have been very interested to see who would have made the playoffs if, all else being the same, Baylor had beaten TCU last month.  One loss Big 12 champion who also beat a pretty good non-conference team (BYU).  How do you keep them out?  I'm thinking it would have come down to them, Cincy, or Georgia being out and all three would have had a legitimate claim to getting screwed if they hadn't made it in this scenario.

On 12/17/2021 at 10:14 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

You might be in the 0.01% that doesn't want the expansion. Why not? 

College football is my first love, always will be... but there is NO sporting 'event' better than the NCAA Tournament. 64+4 teams getting to battle it out and ANYONE can win. Fans LOVE to watch it, it's exciting. If you've never attended a NCAA Tournament, it's an amazing atmosphere. Seeing a team like Florida Gulf Coast (15 seed) beat a 2 seeded Georgetown then make it to the Sweet 16 is so much fun. 

We'd have answers at that point. We'd see if a Baylor or Oklahoma State could compete with Bama, Georgia or Michigan. We would then FINALLY have a TRUE NCAA champion. Something we have never had in D1/FCS football. I feel the only ones against it are the fans of teams who always make it in... Bama and Clemson for example. 

Why not? Because college students should not be required to play 20 game seasons in order to satisfy the whims of fans of sub-par teams.

The bolded is just so laughable that a comment would be a waste of time.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Why not? Because college students should not be required to play 20 game seasons in order to satisfy the whims of fans of sub-par teams.

But they already do... and we both know, it's not 20 games. What you said... it really doesn't make a reason to not play a expanded playoff. You are being a tad bit dramatic. 

NCAA D2 (FCS) and NCAA D3 all play a solid post-season playoff. D3 has 32 teams make it, D2 has 24. 

Both D2 and D3 play a total of 15 games (max). If Alabama beats Cincy and makes it to the title game, they'll also play 15. That kills your argument in it's tracks. It's not difficult to do brother... you get rid of non-conference games that don't matter. SEC no longer plays "sub-par teams" at the end of the season (like the mighty Aggies of NM State or South Alabama). Big XII no longer plays teams like Tulsa or Western Carolina. It starts with your conference game, week 1. 

I'll post what it would look like this year, again: 

5. ND vs 12. Pittsburgh

So the "sub-par" teams your Tide would have to face (me picking winners here)? 

GAME 1: Alabama #9 Oklahoma State

GAME 2: Alabama vs #5 Notre Dame

GAME 3: Alabama vs #2 Michigan

Such sub-part opponents the 'Bama would face. LOL

And your last comment "The bolded is just so laughable that a comment would be a waste of time." Really? Didn't Alabama lose to A&M? A team BARELY ranked? 

Didn't they squeak by a crappy unranked Auburn team?  A very average barely ranked Arkansas team? A bad unranked LSU team? ALL in the past 4-5 weeks of the season? Dude, the arrogance of Alabama fans. My Gawd. (You just want the little Blue Blood club and leave everyone else out, be honest) 

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

No great insights here...

It's Alabama's playoff to win.  They have the talent, the coaching, and the program-level comfort under the bright lights to have an edge in just about every facet of every game.  Great to see Jameson Williams thrive. 

I do not want That Team Up North to win.  

I'd be happy for Georgia if they can finally beat Alabama and win a natty. Seems like they've been right on the brink forever but keep tripping up along the way. That's a good program and just has to break through eventually.

Cincinnati is the Cinderella story and obviously the most intriguing if they can get some momentum going in the playoffs. Coach Fickell has been through a lot and earned this opportunity.  

Looking forward to some fun games!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

But they already do... and we both know, it's not 20 games. What you said... it really doesn't make a reason to not play a expanded playoff. You are being a tad bit dramatic. 

NCAA D2 (FCS) and NCAA D3 all play a solid post-season playoff. D3 has 32 teams make it, D2 has 24. 

Both D2 and D3 play a total of 15 games (max). If Alabama beats Cincy and makes it to the title game, they'll also play 15. That kills your argument in it's tracks. It's not difficult to do brother... you get rid of non-conference games that don't matter. SEC no longer plays "sub-par teams" at the end of the season (like the mighty Aggies of NM State or South Alabama). Big XII no longer plays teams like Tulsa or Western Carolina. It starts with your conference game, week 1. 

5. ND vs 12. Pittsburgh

And your last comment "The bolded is just so laughable that a comment would be a waste of time." Really? Didn't Alabama lose to A&M? A team BARELY ranked? 

Didn't they squeak by a crappy unranked Auburn team?  A very average barely ranked Arkansas team? A bad unranked LSU team? ALL in the past 4-5 weeks of the season? Dude, the arrogance of Alabama fans. My Gawd. (You just want the little Blue Blood club and leave everyone else out, be honest) 

Ok, let me answer 1 at a time if you will.....

1) It is not Nick Saban's fault that they play a few weak non-conference teams every season. Teams do not want to play Alabama. The weak teams are paid to do so. Once again, kudos to OSU for having the courage to face Alabama.

2) Last season, Alabama played an all SEC schedule. They destroyed every team except Florida, who they beat by "only" 6 points. Their non-conference games were against Notre Dame and Ohio State, both of whom they destroyed. If you don't think that they were/are legit champions, then you are too clouded by hatred and jealousy to face the obvious. They were the absolute best team in 2020 and up there with, if not the best ever. 

3) This Alabama team is coming around, but they are just not as good as the 2020 team, and I never said that they are. Now that this is out of the way, I want to add that I almost never bet games, despite the fact that I am usually correct about Alabama (and the Bills btw). When I do wager I don't post it here, because I'm afraid someone might listen to me, lose money, and get angry. That said, I bet on Alabama against Georgia plus 6 1/2. I also bet them with no points getting 2x1 odds and made a small chunk of money. I did so because you should NEVER give points to Nick Saban, let alone lay odds against him. Never. Now, I will NOT be betting on the Tide against Cincy. Bama is very good but this is not 2020, where laying 14 against Cincy would have been a laughing matter. it still MIGHT be but I'm not as sure.

Now, pleae tell me, do you think that OSU, or any other team in the Big 12 would stand a reasonable chance against Alabama or Georgia?  I mean really. Btw, when Texas A&M left the Big 12 they were able to recruit better players. Players who wanted to face good competetion. Texas will improve in a hurry. Oklahoma probably will not, thus the rapid departure of Lincoln Riley. He went out west to face the same type of weak competetion that he faced at Oklahoma, and he will because at USC, he will out recruit the west coast teams. 

In any event, I wouldn't be so upset with an 8 team playoff, providing it did NOT mean extra games for already overworked kids who are risking millions of dollars on every play, let alone every game. 

PS: Would players opt out of expanded playoffs? I don't know, you tell me.

Peace and Happy Holidays!

Edited by Bill from NYC

4 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

You seem to be confused with how college football is broken down.

CFB is broken down into 4 divisions, not 3.

D3

D2

Football Championship Series (f/k/a D1-AA)

Football Bowl Series (f/k/a D1-A)

Both D2 and D3 play a total of 15 games (max). If Alabama beats Cincy and makes it to the title game, they'll also play 15. That kills your argument in it's tracks.

Actually, it does not. He did say 20, not 15.

It's not difficult to do brother... you get rid of non-conference games that don't matter. SEC no longer plays "sub-par teams" at the end of the season (like the mighty Aggies of NM State or South Alabama). Big XII no longer plays teams like Tulsa or Western Carolina. It starts with your conference game, week 1. 

So, your solution is to make the entire FBS division play less regular season games?

Questions:

Who is in charge of determining which teams are "sub-par"?

Is that based on a season by season basis? Or is it a "one and done" situation?

Once a "sub-par" team, always a "sub-par" team.

I wonder how the "sub-par" teams will feel after they been labeled as such, and the huge loss income from not playing those games anymore.

Good luck with that.

5. ND vs 12. Pittsburgh

And your last comment "The bolded is just so laughable that a comment would be a waste of time." Really?

Yes, laughable.

As you said: We'd have answers at that point. We'd see if a Baylor or Oklahoma State could compete with Bama, Georgia or Michigan. We would then FINALLY have a TRUE NCAA champion. Something we have never had in D1/FCS football. (I am going to assume you meant D1/FBS)'

A true NCAA championship? Nope.

Do not see any representative from the PAC-12, Sunbelt, Mountain West, C-USA, etc.. in your scenario.

Not to mention the NCAA has nothing to do with the FBS playoffs.

A "true" National Champion is a unicorn, an unachievable desire.

The only "answers" we would have are the ones you would be willing to accept.

As far I am concerned, we already had the answer.

It was called the BCS: 1 vs 2.

Everything else was moot.

Didn't Alabama lose to A&M? A team BARELY ranked? 

I have long advocated for the Power conferences to tell the NCAA to go pound sand, leave, and create their own Association.

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Ok, let me answer 1 at a time if you will.....

1) It is not Nick Saban's fault that they play a few weak non-conference teams every season. Teams do not want to play Alabama. The weak teams are paid to do so. Once again, kudos to OSU for having the courage to face Alabama.

2) Last season, Alabama played an all SEC schedule. They destroyed every team except Florida, who they beat by "only" 6 points. Their non-conference games were against Notre Dame and Ohio State, both of whom they destroyed. If you don't think that they were/are legit champions, then you are too clouded by hatred and jealousy to face the obvious. They were the absolute best team in 2020 and up there with, if not the best ever. 

3) This Alabama team is coming around, but they are just not as good as the 2020 team, and I never said that they are. Now that this is out of they way, I want to add that I almost never bet games, despite the fact that I am usually correct about Alabama (and the Bills btw). When I do wager I don't post it here, because I'm afraid someone might listen to me, lose money, and get angry. That said, I bet on Alabama against Georgia plus 6 1/2. I also bet them with no points getting 2x1 odds and made a small chunk of money. I did so because you should NEVER give points to Nick Saban, let alone lay odds against him. Never. Now, I will NOT be betting on the Tide against Cincy. Bama is very good but this is not 2020, where laying 14 against Cincy would have been a laughing matter. it still MIGHT be but I'm not as sure.

Now, pleae tell me, do you think that OSU, or any other team in the Big 12 would stand a reasonable chance against Alabama or Georgia?  I mean really. Btw, when Texas A&M left the Big 12 they were able to recruit better players. Players who wanted to face good competetion. Texas will improve in a hurry. Oklahoma probably will not, thus the rapid departure of Lincoln Riley. He went out west to face the same type of weak competetion that he faced at Oklahoma, and he will because at USC, he will out recruit the west coast teams. 

In any event, I wouldn't be so upset with an 8 team playoff, providing it did NOT mean extra games for already overworked kids who are risking millions of dollars on every play, let alone every game. 

PS: Would players opt out of expanded playoffs? I don't know, you tell me.

Peace and Happy Holidays!

NOTHING of what you said makes any difference in regards to why I'm pro-expansion like nearly EVERY fan of college football... and media member. Nearly every. single. one. 

Seems the Alabama fans here are the only ones against it. I wonder why? Maybe because Bama is pretty much consensus top 2 in the country pre-season every year? They are at the top and get to stay around the top 5 regardless if they win or lose (to like a team like A&M). 

I'm not arguing how good Alabama football is. It's been the best the past 12-13 years. Will continue to be as long as Saban in the coach. That has nothing to do with what I'm saying. 

BTW: the PAC-12 sucks compared to the Big XII and the rest of the Power 5. There were a LOT of rumors about Riley here in Oklahoma when he left. And Texas hasn't done crap in forever. My Cowboys have kicked their arses the past 10+ season with their 5 star recruits compared to our 3 star guys. There's going to "improve in a hurry" now? LOL. The "Texas is back" theme is a joke in the Big XII and has been. It's a culture problem in Austin. 

15 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Actually, it does not. He did say 20, not 15.

I said we wouldn't see 20 games. He did. I know what he said. 

• Montana State is playing ND State on the 8th of January for the FCS Championship. It's going to be their FIFTEENTH (15th) game played this season. That includes their week one game against Wyoming. 
  • Ferris State just beat Valdosta State in the DII Championship game. That was their FOURTEETH (14th) game played this season. 
  • Mary Hardin-Baylor beat North Central Illinois for the DIII Championship. Like Montana State, it was their FIFTEENTH (15th) game played this season. 

Again, we can play an expanded playoff like the other divisions. We already play up to 15 games now. Not sure what the argument is other than you want to beat up on Mercer and New Mexico State? 

23 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Who is in charge of determining which teams are "sub-par"?

This was a comment/term used by your fellow Bama fan. Not me dude. 

If we should make automatic qualifiers, then let's do it. That way even smaller conferences get a shot. But Mike's argument is teams he dubbed "sub-par" aren't worthy of playing the mighty and the great Alabama Crimson Tide. Probably think that about Cincy too, right? 

25 minutes ago, Cynical said:

A true NCAA championship? Nope.

Do not see any representative from the PAC-12, Sunbelt, Mountain West, C-USA, etc.. in your scenario.

Not to mention the NCAA has nothing to do with the FBS playoffs.

A "true" National Champion is a unicorn, an unachievable desire.

WTF are you talking about? I never said the NCAA has anything to do with a real championship or the playoffs. I argue with OU fans all the time, it's a mythical title anyway. That's why we need an expanded playoff system like FCS, DII and DIII (yes, I'm well aware of the divisions, not sure what the point of your comment is). I'm advocating for an expansion so the NCAA can take charge and give us a real championship trophy unlike the BCS or CFP. Or hell, back when the AP crowned the champion. 

It's completely achievable. You just have to do it. I say that because IT'S ALREDY BEING DONE in other divisions. 

27 minutes ago, Cynical said:

The only "answers" we would have are the ones you would be willing to accept.

As far I am concerned, we already had the answer.

It was called the BCS: 1 vs 2.

Everything else was moot.

The BCS was completely flawed. See the 2011 season for a prime example. Alabama didn't even win their own division, couldn't play for a conference title and yet they get into the BCS title game... because they are Alabama (rolling my eyes). 

29 minutes ago, Cynical said:

I have long advocated for the Power conferences to tell the NCAA to go pound sand, leave, and create their own Association.

This would be the best solution to all this. I do agree. 

2 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

NOTHING of what you said makes any difference in regards to why I'm pro-expansion like nearly EVERY fan of college football... and media member. Nearly every. single. one. 

Seems the Alabama fans here are the only ones against it. I wonder why? Maybe because Bama is pretty much consensus top 2 in the country pre-season every year? They are at the top and get to stay around the top 5 regardless if they win or lose (to like a team like A&M). 

I'm not arguing how good Alabama football is. It's been the best the past 12-13 years. Will continue to be as long as Saban in the coach. That has nothing to do with what I'm saying. 

BTW: the PAC-12 sucks compared to the Big XII and the rest of the Power 5. There were a LOT of rumors about Riley here in Oklahoma when he left. And Texas hasn't done crap in forever. My Cowboys have kicked their arses the past 10+ season with their 5 star recruits compared to our 3 star guys. There's going to "improve in a hurry" now? LOL. The "Texas is back" theme is a joke in the Big XII and has been. It's a culture problem in Austin. 

Thanks for responding, but; you seem to not want to answer direct questions. 

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thanks for responding, but; you seem to not want to answer direct questions. 

Ummm... what? I wrote out my feelings on the playoffs. Pointed out no one plays 20 games; including the divisions with 32 teams playing

post season. 

You ignored all my points. 

Reply to my points and then let me know what you’d like me to address. I will definitely address them. 

You’re making this about me talking about Alabama. I’m not. I’m talking expanded playoffs and why we need it and how it can work. You bring up Bama, Saban and the Tides schedule? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

On 12/15/2021 at 3:45 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Does anyone wish to share views/predictions?

I'll start:

Imo these playoffs are wide open. I want to say up front that Alabama is nowhere near as good as they were last season. The thing is, please tell me who else is. I think that Bama can beat Cincy if they out muscle them. Another factor is that the more time Nick Saban has to prepare for a game, the better his chances are at winning. this is proven.

In terms of Michigan/Georgia, to be honest I am rooting for Michigan. I don't know enough about the Big 10 to make an assertion about how good Michigan is. I happen to believe that Georgia is very good. So, if Alabama does defeat Cincy, I would rather see them face Michigan than Georgia. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

I would appreciate any input from Big 10 fans, as well as UGA and Cincy fans. 

A few weeks ago I thought that no matter who was making it to the playoffs, it wouldn't really matter because Georgia looked like a team of destiny.

Now I don't know what to think.

Alabama will more likely beat Cincinnati, but I don't think it'll be a blow out win.

The Michigan-Georgia game could go either way, and should be a thrilling match-up.

As to your reference to Michigan, and as a Michigan fan, I to don't know how good they are.

The Wolverines started the season unranked, then in their first game against Western Michigan, they won easily but lost Ronnie Bell, their top WR, to a season ending knee injury.

They would get significant wins over Washington and back-to-back road victories over Wisconsin & Nebraska.

Then came the first big game of the year against Michigan State, which they subsequently lost after having a large lead in the second half.

Despite that, they persevered instead of folding. They would get another hard fought victory in Happy Valley against the Nittany Lions.

Finally came the big game against Ohio State which they won convincingly and then took care of business with Iowa in the Big 10 Championship game. It's been quite a ride for this team that most people did not have real expectations for, yours truly included.

This is a solid team with it's share of standout players. DE Aidan Hutchinson being the biggest one of all, but he's not the only player on defense who makes an impact.

The Wolverines have good LB's in David Ojabo & Josh Ross and a strong secondary lead by Daxton Hill, DJ Turner & Vincent Gray. DL Mazi Smith is another good player.

On offense, it's all about RB Hassan Haskins, who has made the most of it this year. Both he and speedy RB Blake Corum give the Wolverines a Thunder & Lightning combo. Freshman Donovan Edwards has also become a good contributor as of late.

QB Cade McNamara is a solid, above average player. He's a pocket passer with decent athleticism. He can be hit or miss, as he still has a tendency to be off target on his passes. Ironically, his best game as a passer was in the loss to Michigan State.

He doesn't have the athleticism or the high ceiling potential as Freshman J.J. McCarthy does, but he has done a good job in leading the offense.

At Wide Receiver, the Wolverines have a lot of speedy smurfs. None of them really stand out as playmakers, except Freshman Andrell Anthony has been a late season contributor who has flashed great ability.

Tight Ends Erick All & Luke Schoonmaker have been prime targets all year.

The Offensive Line is lead by veterans Andrew Vastardis & Andrew Stueber, along with Zak Zinter who have all been strong in leading the rushing attack.

Kicker Jake Moody is one of the best, if not the best in the nation, and Punter Brad Robbins is excellent. GO BLUE!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Im just here to say 32 teams 😈😈

On 12/19/2021 at 4:19 PM, Bill from NYC said:

C'mon Bill, the division 2 guys do it so can the higher levels. They arent old men, they can can handle the workload ,they will be ok.

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

C'mon Bill, the division 2 guys do it so can the higher levels. They arent old men, they can can handle the workload ,they will be ok.

If the schedule is increased, many players will opt out of the playoffs imo. They are already opting out of bowl games. The injury rate for football players is 100%. It is only a matter of how servere the injuries are. These kids (a huge percentage of them from poverty stricken backgrounds) risk millions of dollars on every play, let alone extra games. Should they be forced or even asked to play more games in order to satisfy the whims and dreams of fans who cheer for teams that are just not up to standards 99% of the time (Big 12 teams for example)?  If they expand to 8, fans of so so teams will cry for 12. Then 16. 

All football fans have a bit of that gladiator audience mentality imo. That said, it is unfair for these college players to take upon even more risk than they already do. If some games were eliminated from the schedule and conference championship games were eliminated, perhaps I could support expanded playoffs. As far as all conference play, that too is unfair. Teams in the ACC and Big 12 would only play the patsies in their own weak ass divisions, no?

Please, correct me where I am wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

If the schedule is increased, many players will opt out of the playoffs imo. They are already opting out of bowl games. The injury rate for football players is 100%. It is only a matter of how servere the injuries are. These kids (a huge percentage of them from poverty stricken backgrounds) risk millions of dollars on every play, let alone extra games. Should they be forced or even asked to play more games in order to satisfy the whims and dreams of fans who cheer for teams that are just not up to standards 99% of the time (Big 12 teams for example)?  If they expand to 8, fans of so so teams will cry for 12. Then 16. 

All football fans have a bit of that gladiator audience mentality imo. That said, it is unfair for these college players to take upon even more risk than they already do. If some games were eliminated from the schedule and conference championship games were eliminated, perhaps I could support expanded playoffs. As far as all conference play, that too is unfair. Teams in the ACC and Big 12 would only play the patsies in their own weak ass divisions, no?

Please, correct me where I am wrong. 

Which is why they will start playing players, colleges dont want to lose.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Which is why they will start playing players, colleges dont want to lose.

Its always about the fans, no fans no game, eventually we bet what we want, which is why the NFL is expanding and will be up to 8 teams per conference soon, more fan involvement , more money for the league, win win.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:49 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Again, we can play an expanded playoff like the other divisions. We already play up to 15 games now. Not sure what the argument is other than you want to beat up on Mercer and New Mexico State? 

In order to expand the playoffs, there are 2 options:

1) Have the playoff teams play more games (above the 15 being played now)

2) Reduce the amount of regular season games played to keep the total number down to 15.

You appear to advocate for option 2.

The problem with option 2 is asking the power conferences/teams to drop games from their schedule.

They can't drop conference games (obviously).

The only thing left is OOC games.

Do they drop the OOC game against another power team?

Or do they drop the guaranteed home game (and the revenue it generates) that comes with playing the 'sub par' teams?

IMO, the schools/conferences are not going to be overwhelming willing to eliminate any regular season games, making option 1 the more likely "solution".

Hence, why Bill keeps talking about playing additional games.

If we should make automatic qualifiers, then let's do it. That way even smaller conferences get a shot.

So you you think a 9-5 Northern Illinois team should get in while a 11-2 Okie State should be left out?

I mean, that N. Ill team played one hell of a grueling schedule against such juggernauts like Akron, UB, Kent. etc ...

But Mike's argument is teams he dubbed "sub-par" aren't worthy of playing the mighty and the great Alabama Crimson Tide. Probably think that about Cincy too, right? 

Who is "Mike"? Did you mean Bill?

WTF are you talking about? I never said the NCAA has anything to do with a real championship or the playoffs. I argue with OU fans all the time, it's a mythical title anyway. That's why we need an expanded playoff system like FCS, DII and DIII (yes, I'm well aware of the divisions, not sure what the point of your comment is).

You seem to have a problem with what the FCS is:

On 12/17/2021 at 10:14 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

We would then FINALLY have a TRUE NCAA champion. Something we have never had in D1/FCS football.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:25 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Between confusing the FCS with Div 1 and Div 2, and now referring to Bill as "Mike" ....

I'm advocating for an expansion so the NCAA can take charge and give us a real championship trophy unlike the BCS or CFP. Or hell, back when the AP crowned the champion. 

... pretty much confirmed.

You're just an attention seeking idiot looking to stir the pot.

The NCAA is not the solution.

They are part of the overall damn problem.

The BCS was completely flawed. See the 2011 season for a prime example. Alabama didn't even win their own division, couldn't play for a conference title and yet they get into the BCS title game... because they are Alabama (rolling my eyes).

Yes, the BCS was flawed. The polling system was flawed. The CFB playoffs are flawed.

It will not matter how many teams get to make the playoffs.

It will always be flawed.

If the NC is mythical to begin with, and any process to determine that NC is flawed, what's the point?

You cannot fix that is not fixable.

The reality is you care about being entertained more than the game itself.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.