Bills opponents called for defensive holding only twice all year on more than 500 dropbacks. How is this even possible?

Big Turk

19 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Eh, so 11 vs 17 vs 15

Bills are also dinking and dunking a bunch, penalty numbers don’t look as bad. 

Up the Bills total to 16, or 1 per game in the ones that we lost by 1 score and the Bills could be 12-1. 

It's that easy for the officiating to influence the outcome of a game. 

(Pats also have 100 fewer pass attempts than us, but 4 more of these calls in their favor)

Edited by BFLO

2 hours ago, MPT said:

I wouldn't say the league is out to get us as much as the league is out to help teams like the Patriots and Buccaneers.  Against the Bucs, the Bills had 7 penalties for 65 yards and the Bucs had 4 for 24 yards. That's only 41 yards net, but the combination of non-calls and the bad pass interference directly resulted in a 21 point swing.

OK - the yardage is kind of secondary in this discussion, in my opinion.

You want where the rubber meets the road when it comes to "influencing" outcomes, here you go:

image.thumb.png.dece18d77983db81fa6cc687f71773c0.png

Drive extenders. That's when the officials are earning their holiday "bonus."

Edited by pocoboy
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I don't get how one official standing 5 feet away from him doesn't throw the flag nor the other official standing under the goalposts looking at the play where he can literally see that two handed jersey grab and pull by the defender ...it boggles my mind how neither of those officials threw a flag on the play.  What the F are they watching??

Yes thats a good question. Unfortunately as I said an offensive player has to embellish a hold just to get the officials to notice. And even then they dont seem to notice!

I’ve been chuckling about this all day…like man how much do refs hate Xavien  Howard to actually call only him for two holds against us haha 

17 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Yes thats a good question. Unfortunately as I said an offensive player has to embellish a hold just to get the officials to notice. And even then they dont seem to notice!

Oh they notice…it was a conscious decision not to throw the flag there…guaranteed they saw it correctly.  They figure…if we make this call the story will be we chose the winner of the game so let’s let it either get to a 4th down play or go to OT where either team has a chance.  And it is terribly terribly flawed logic. The Wallace play in OT has a separate set of rules applied because it is not a game winning play 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

26 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’ve been chuckling about this all day…like man how much do refs hate Xavien  Howard to actually call only him for two holds against us haha 

Oh they notice…it was a conscious decision not to throw the flag there…guaranteed they saw it correctly.  They figure…if we make this call the story will be we chose the winner of the game so let’s let it either get to a 4th down play or go to OT where either team has a chance.  And it is terribly terribly flawed logic. The Wallace play in OT has a separate set of rules applied because it is not a game winning play 

And that wasn't even PI! He got pulled by Evans who initiated the contact!

28 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Also the Bills lead the NFL in opponent first downs by penalties averaging 2.5 per game.

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

And that wasn't even PI! He got pulled by Evans who initiated the contact!

Also the Bills lead the NFL in opponent first downs by penalties averaging 2.5 per game.

Yea not only was that not at all pi…it was a very heads up play by Levi to avoid pi knowing they are probably gonna call it on him for an awful throw like that.  That was dangerously close to OPI if Levi turns around and tries to make a play on the ball but he rightly focused on avoiding the dpi 

1 hour ago, pocoboy said:

OK - the yardage is kind of secondary in this discussion, in my opinion.

You want where the rubber meets the road when it comes to "influencing" outcomes, here you go:

image.thumb.png.dece18d77983db81fa6cc687f71773c0.png

Drive extenders. That's when the officials are earning their holiday "bonus."

They also cheekily eliminated bucs holding penalties along their offensive line with holds called in our secondary giving Brady another shot at the down on multiple occasions. Absolutely objectively an unforgivable game for the refs…if you’re gonna let them play let both teams play.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

5 hours ago, DasNootz said:

For reference, here are the Bills stats vs. teams many consider to be favorites for the NFL (WWE).

Buffalo Pass Attempts: 502
Defensive Holding: 2
Def. Pass Interference: 9

KC Pass Attempts: 519

Def. Holding: 15
Def. Pass Interference: 2

NE Pass Attempts: 394
Def. Holding: 3
Def. Pass Interference: 12

You can see who they want to be in the post season. It sucks that some teams need to overcome favoritism along with actually playing the team.

59 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not one to blame the refs or give credence to conspiracy theories but this is certainly questionable and seems almost like a statistically improbability.

Also would like to see these numbers for all NFL teams if their out there.

Defensive Holding

Least likely to get the call: Seattle, Buffalo, Dallas
Most likely to get the call: KC, Jacksonville, Washington

While it sucks, I don't think it qualifies as "you can see who they want in the playoffs".  

Defensive Holding, Pass Attempts, %

Arizona: 5, 420, 1.19%

Atlanta: 7, 461 1.51%

Baltimore: 5, 467, 1.07%

Buffalo: 2. 502, 0.39%
Carolina: 5, 447, 1.12%

Chicago: 5, 384, 1.30%

Cincinnati: 2, 418 0.48%

Cleveland: 6, 392, 1.53%

Dallas: 3, 501, 0.59%
Denver: 3, 432, 0.69%

Detroit: 6, 463, 1.30%

Green Bay: 3, 451, 0.67% 

Houston: 4, 424. 0.94%
Indianapolis: 3, 425, 0.71%

Jacksonville: 9, 468,  1.92%

KC: 13, 519, 2.5%

LAC: 8, 505, 1.58%
LAR: 6, 474,  1.27%
Las Vegas: 3, 496, 0.60%
Miami: 6, 501, 1.20%
Minnesota: 6, 481, 1.25%
NYG: 5, 471, 1.06%
NYJ; 6, 504, 1.19%

NE: 3, 394, 0.76%
NO: 4, 405, 0.99%
Phi: 6, 379, 1.58%

Pit: 5, 506, 0.98%

SF: 5, 399, 1.25%

Sea: 1, 382, 0.26%
TB: 8, 563, 1.42%
Tenn: 7, 423, 1.65%
Wash: 8, 433, 1.85%

Edited by DasNootz

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Oh, they love flagging White for holding...which he does a fair amount of I have to admit...but compared to what the Bills receivers have done to them most games, I am not sure it is any worse.

Right, but, well, an explained joke isn't any good -- it would be especially bad if they called a foul when a player is on IR.

You’re only confused because you still operate from the perspective that the NFL is legitimate fair sport. It’s not. It’s Entertainment. The Bills were a feel good story last year, which the NFL was fine with considering the amazing fan base we have and awesome ratings and energy. But that didn’t trump the desired narrative last year, which was is Mahomes the successor to Brady/the older legend facing off against the young new top superstar qb. That’s why they allowed the Chiefs to mug our wide receivers with almost no repercussions.

You’re confused about this year? We’re not part of the desired outcome. The refs have literally taken 2 games minimum just on their own and you can argue the Pats game as well w Knox in the end zone with that call putting us at the 1 as it should have if i

the flag were thrown.

You all wander around this site and forum confused about all these things some of are simply not. It’s obvious. You just don’t want to accept it. You’re right, that lack of defensive penalties against us is impossible—if this were a fair sport not WWE.

They didn’t need Buffalo screwing up their plans by still being better than a slightly improved Pats team. A lot of you don’t watch the Pats games, which is good. Because you’d probably go fully insane seeing how far it swings in their favor every game. It’s actually embarrassing that team is the number 1 seed. They are 6-8 seed imo if this were a real league. 

Everyone is trying to figure out ‘what’s wrong’ with the offense lol. It’s literally just this. We were getting normal calls last year. This year not even Diggs, the friggin best wr in the league last year, can get a call. You really can’t figure out what is actually happening? 

Edited by BassToMouth

Defensive holding is one thing...

If I'm a crooked ref who dreams of seeing Brady win another super Bowl, I'm saving my flag for a deep pass late in the game. You could literally throw DPI on 99% of deep passes and worst case scenario there would be a debate but it's so subjective...

Did his arm bar the WR? Did he tug a little on the jersey? Did he get there a quarter second before the ball? Did the feet get tangled? Did the DB not look back for the ball soon enough? Was there "too much" contact? 

It's so easy. 

I watched a Tampa DB literally climb up a Colts WR to intercept the ball long before it got there and there was no call. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.