Bills opponents called for defensive holding only twice all year on more than 500 dropbacks. How is this even possible?

Big Turk

Just now, Billzgobowlin said:

I would love for someone to do stats on offensive holding against Bills line.

Lots of insane calls there remember the Houston Texans game?  No holding but instantly everybody stepped up and said yup that's holding.  And, then when the Texans did it.... nope, nothing to see here they drove through the block.... 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

The Pegulas need to take this information, along with the screen captures of Diggs jersey being pulled off him, to the league offices.  Demand a meeting with Goodell and ask for an explanation.  They have to make it known that they too have spent billions of dollars and support they league, so they too need to be treated fairly by the league’s officials. 

They should've done this along time ago. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

The Pegulas need to take this information, along with the screen captures of Diggs jersey being pulled off him, to the league offices.  Demand a meeting with Goodell and ask for an explanation.  They have to make it known that they too have spent billions of dollars and support they league, so they too need to be treated fairly by the league’s officials. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TC in St. Louis said:

The truth is out.  There were at least 3 flagrant holds on Diggs on Sunday.  Zero calls.  Yet they had no problem flagging #21 on our side for nothing in the first.  

I'm surprised they didn't throw a flag on Tre White . . . 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, P Riv said:

The stats include TEs, and you have to consider that they run a totally different passing offense.  I have to wonder if all of that play action they run has an effect on whether or not DB's have that "oh sh't" factor and grab the receiver after falling for the fake.  Just postulating, but I think that may play a significant role.

Good insight, but it still seems lopsided.

However, since you mention it, I wonder what happened to all the presnap motions and play action that helped make our offense so successful last year? And where did it go/Why did we stop?

Did Daboll really think we could just line up and own teams with basic 5-wide formations and plays? Probably. And it's a fireable offense. (Pun intended)

1 hour ago, P Riv said:

At -4 yds a game net, its tough to make a case that the League is out to get us.  We're averaging 6.8 per game, which looks like every other year's average for us: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game

I wouldn't say the league is out to get us as much as the league is out to help teams like the Patriots and Buccaneers.  Against the Bucs, the Bills had 7 penalties for 65 yards and the Bucs had 4 for 24 yards. That's only 41 yards net, but the combination of non-calls and the bad pass interference directly resulted in a 21 point swing.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't want to seem like a conspiracy theorist but I mean...I am not sure what else to think...it's almost impossible to imagine how this is possible unless the league has given the refs some sort of directive, especially considering how egregious some of the  non-calls have been.  Kind of reminds me of Hughes never getting any calls although he gets held on nearly every pass rush, some of them just amazingly obvious right in front of the refs and no flags.

Crazy how many completely obvious ones there have been too…I think there were triple the amount of uncalled 100% obvious holds that get called every time  in the bucs game as we’ve gotten all season 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

People please stop with this over used term "conspiracy".  The NFL must have a means to steer games. They do it thru their hand picked controlled refs. It's not a conspiracy but a business model. It's been going on for years. Players like Brady get protection because of the revenue they generate. Wake up.

I don't give a damn!

We get screwed over constantly. That's what matters.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Bills are one of only 3 teams (Cle, NE) without a single offensive pass interference penalty this year.

Not sure what that means, but interesting.

FWIW we were flagged for OPI in the Chiefs game. The penalty was declined though

3rd & 10 at KC 40

(8:41 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to C.Beasley. Penalty on BUF-E.Sanders, Offensive Pass Interference, declined.

15 minutes ago, MPT said:

I wouldn't say the league is out to get us as much as the league is out to help teams like the Patriots and Buccaneers.  Against the Bucs, the Bills had 7 penalties for 65 yards and the Bucs had 4 for 24 yards. That's only 41 yards net, but the combination of non-calls and the bad pass interference directly resulted in a 21 point swing.

Timing is everything...how many free do-overs did TB get on 3rd down with "offsetting penalties"?  At least 2 I remember.

How many penalties against us extended drives for TB on 3rd down?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Bills players need to do what soccer players do looking for a penalty in the box. They need to feel the hold or the interference which is definitely there (Obviously a lot more times than it is called ) then collapse like they have been hit by a sniper. They need to literally oversell the foul. Otherwise these idiot officials, who in some cases are staring right at the illegal contact or hold, wont get the message.  It seems like cheating or faking but if Diggs had done that in the OT on the 3rd down play where he was held by the jersey, we would have got that foul called and the drive would have continued. The play near the end of regulation I think he did enough to get the officials attention but they STILL didnt call it. 

12 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Bills players need to do what soccer players do looking for a penalty in the box. They need to feel the hold or the interference which is definitely there (Obviously a lot more times than it is called ) then collapse like they have been hit by a sniper. They need to literally oversell the foul. Otherwise these idiot officials, who in some cases are staring right at the illegal contact or hold, wont get the message.  It seems like cheating or faking but if Diggs had done that in the OT on the 3rd down play where he was held by the jersey, we would have got that foul called and the drive would have continued. The play near the end of regulation I think he did enough to get the officials attention but they STILL didnt call it. 

I don't get how one official standing 5 feet away from him doesn't throw the flag nor the other official standing under the goalposts looking at the play where he can literally see that two handed jersey grab and pull by the defender ...it boggles my mind how neither of those officials threw a flag on the play.  What the F are they watching??

51 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm surprised they didn't throw a flag on Tre White . . . 

Oh, they love flagging White for holding...which he does a fair amount of I have to admit...but compared to what the Bills receivers have done to them most games, I am not sure it is any worse.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

200.gif

3 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Remember the guy on the X-Files who said: "The Buffalo Bills will never win a SuperBowl while I'm still alive".

That dude must still be alive...

I checked this the other day, and William B. Davis, aka Cigarette Smoking Man, CSM, is still alive.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DasNootz said:

For reference, here are the Bills stats vs. teams many consider to be favorites for the NFL (WWE).

Buffalo Pass Attempts: 502
Defensive Holding: 2
Def. Pass Interference: 9

KC Pass Attempts: 519

Def. Holding: 15
Def. Pass Interference: 2

NE Pass Attempts: 394
Def. Holding: 3
Def. Pass Interference: 12

Eh, so 11 vs 17 vs 15

Bills are also dinking and dunking a bunch, penalty numbers don’t look as bad. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.