Pass interference calls/non calls

Hermes

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I was wondering if more than an hour would pass without another ref/penalties thread would be birthed.

whew!!

In all fairness this isn't so much about the refs and penalties as it is the Bills response to what they perceived as penalties.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

It should have been a defensive penalty but that fade pass to Diggs was a stupid call.

I don’t understand this take…diggs is wide open…Davis had to literally try to tackle him to save the game. Should you really have to plan on horrendous officiating and ignore a great one on one matchup that your best receiver easily won?

1 minute ago, Hermes said:

In all fairness this isn't so much about the refs and penalties as it is the Bills response to what they perceived as penalties.

I’ll second that I’ve been in a lot of penalty threads and this one is definitely different haha 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean in the heat of the moment like that I’m not sure how much thought you get to put into how to make it most look like you’re getting held to be fair lol he doesn’t get to see himself from 37 broadcast angles.  Shoving the defender when you know you’re due an obvious dpi call in a game where your team is getting no calls to begin with doesn’t make a lot of sense to me…in the moment how does he know he’s gonna be victimized by an awful no call…100% they’re calling OPI if he does that and he’s likely not catching the ball anyway 

If he literally stops his route because he is being held/ interfered with and then gets a PF unnecessary roughness that's still a win for the Bills. Have you ever seen it happen on a game bc I have not. It would take that DPI/hold to an entirely different level. 

1 minute ago, Hermes said:

If he literally stops his route because he is being held/ interfered with and then gets a PF unnecessary roughness that's still a win for the Bills. Have you ever seen it happen on a game bc I have not. It would take that DPI/hold to an entirely different level. 

That’s not even a win assuming you know that the play is going to end in a horrible uncalled dpi which diggs has no way of knowing lol I’d take the opportunity to go for it on 4th and 2 over a 3rd and 17 with a longer fg try. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

perhaps next a thread about how TSW posters perceived the penalties...

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

How we can better react to how the players react to penalties 😂

If only the rest of the board could just enjoy discourse after a game like you guys..

59 minutes ago, Evian said:

The officials blew multiple calls but the Bills had the ball in OT and did nothing. 

I am not even sure officiating matters with the Bills. They find ways to lose close games. Over and over and over. 

They did nothing in OT because once again Diggs was held on 3rd down. 😆 🤣 

Anyway...

You gotta be kidding.   That dog don't hunt!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That’s not even a win assuming you know that the play is going to end in a horrible uncalled dpi which diggs has no way of knowing lol I’d take the opportunity to go for it on 4th and 2 over a 3rd and 17 with a longer fg try. 

That's just a difference of opinion I suppose. I'm notorious for being using more aggression/ force than is necessary in these types of situations..

So I'm probably in the wrong here lol

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Okay, Mr. Joe Fan on the message board... It's easy to sit here and say that they "should've been more aggressive."

They're doing what they're trained to do. Levi played that pass exactly how he's coached to play it. Diggs is taking the steps necessary to get to the ball exactly how he's trained to do it. You can't expect him to turn into Megatron during the play. It happens extremely fast and everything is so instinctual. 

What we should expect is the refs to call a consistent game.

Just call the game fairly and equitable. You shouldn't have to tell one team to be more aggressive in preperation for the refs favoring a Brady team. Diggs was raped and 5 flags should've come out. 1st and goal at the 1.

48 minutes ago, Hermes said:

The Bills player should know what the expectation is at this point. They are going to be on the bad end of things. Deal with it

What expectation?  That the players should be expecting the officials are going to cheat and bend the rule in favor of their opponent in order to determine the outcome of the game?         

13 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

What expectation?  That the players should be expecting the officials are going to cheat and bend the rule in favor of their opponent in order to determine the outcome of the game?         

Yes. That is exactly the expectation they should go into the game with. Just go out there and beat the other team regardless of what the refs do. Win so convincingly, that the refs can't possibly effect the outcome of the game. Put the outcome of the game beyond a reasonable doubt. Show the world how great you truly are, that nothing can stop what's about to happen. The Bills embrace that mindset, they win the Superbowl this year. Refs be damned

1 hour ago, Hermes said:

Bills lost. Whatever.. 

They didn't close out the game when they had the chance, time to move on.

Anyway, the PI the penalties clearly affected the Bills more than the Bucs to say the least.  (My issue isn't that the Bills didn't get the calls or not. That's entirely irrelevant.)  It's the players reactions to what they perceived as penalties.

On the long ball to Diggs if he would've fought through it, instead of looking for a flag, he might've had a chance at the ball and possibly a TD.

On the fade to Diggs in the EZ on the 3rd before the FG to tie, he had pretty much no chance with the defender grabbing and essentially tackling him when the ball is in the air.

On the DPI that set the Bucs up in OT, not sure if it was Dane or Levi, he got in good position but got pulled away and managed to get a call against him.

In all of the circumstances the Bills players needed to be more aggressive. Diggs lack of aggressiveness when he let himself get pulled away from the play. He either needed to press the issue on the first and grab the DB by the arm and literally throw him off of his jersey. Force the issue with the refs and make them throw a flag. The EZ throw was a travesty but if Diggs sees that he isn't going to get the ball there, due to interference or not, then get physical with the DB. Take his helmet and smash it in the turf. Again, make the refs throw the flag. On the DPI in OT if the DB would've fought for the ball more instead of just trying to defend against a catch he might be had a pick or at least shown how much he was being prevented from making a play.

In all of these instances if the Bills would've pressed the issue and been more aggressive it would've led to something happening differently. Would anyone have been mad if Diggs got an OPI on either of his plays bc he retaliated? What it the DB would've fought through contact and made a great day on the ball and ended up with a turnover.

At the end of the day football is an emotional game and sometimes you need to let those emotions flow through.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/on-further-review-buffalo-bills-have-legitimate-beef-with-nfl-officials

31 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

And people are so oblivious to this because they don’t bet on sports.  It doesn’t affect their real lives, so it’s inconsequential.  

Surface level, it’s just a game.  Someone wins and someone loses.  In real life, millions of people are winning and losing because of these mistakes.  When it’s this blatant it’s hard to ignore.  

2 hours ago, Hermes said:

It sucks that the refs didn't call it. For sure. But what happens if Diggs turns around on the first one and shoves the defender to the ground. What do the refs do at that point? 

2 hours ago, Hermes said:

It's not about what the refs called or didn't call. It's about the aggressiveness of the Bills players in those situations. Idgaf if Diggs gets called for a penalty, send that dude to the ground and make him pay for grabbing you like that.

WTF are you talking about? You think Diggs committing personal fouls is somehow going to improve the situation?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MPT said:

WTF are you talking about? You think Diggs committing personal fouls is somehow going to improve the situation?

Yes.  Bc at that moment how much would it have hurt.  If anything it would've fired the team up even more. 

9 minutes ago, MPT said:

You act like these plays happen in a vacuum. They don't. There are so many factors that go into every little interaction and I'm sure that the Bills were feeling that. If someone, anyone (Diggs) fed into that energy it could've completely altered the course of the game

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

For once, JUST ONCE! I'd like to be on the other end of the conversation when an opposing fan says, " There bad calls in every game, DEAL WITH IT! Good teams overcome them.

I'd love to say that to another fan of a game that got shafted by the refs while playing the Bills instead of the other way around. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.