Pass interference calls/non calls

Hermes

Bills lost. Whatever.. 

They didn't close out the game when they had the chance, time to move on.

Anyway, the PI the penalties clearly affected the Bills more than the Bucs to say the least.  (My issue isn't that the Bills didn't get the calls or not. That's entirely irrelevant.)  It's the players reactions to what they perceived as penalties.

On the long ball to Diggs if he would've fought through it, instead of looking for a flag, he might've had a chance at the ball and possibly a TD.

On the fade to Diggs in the EZ on the 3rd before the FG to tie, he had pretty much no chance with the defender grabbing and essentially tackling him when the ball is in the air.

On the DPI that set the Bucs up in OT, not sure if it was Dane or Levi, he got in good position but got pulled away and managed to get a call against him.

In all of the circumstances the Bills players needed to be more aggressive. Diggs lack of aggressiveness when he let himself get pulled away from the play. He either needed to press the issue on the first and grab the DB by the arm and literally throw him off of his jersey. Force the issue with the refs and make them throw a flag. The EZ throw was a travesty but if Diggs sees that he isn't going to get the ball there, due to interference or not, then get physical with the DB. Take his helmet and smash it in the turf. Again, make the refs throw the flag. On the DPI in OT if the DB would've fought for the ball more instead of just trying to defend against a catch he might be had a pick or at least shown how much he was being prevented from making a play.

In all of these instances if the Bills would've pressed the issue and been more aggressive it would've led to something happening differently. Would anyone have been mad if Diggs got an OPI on either of his plays bc he retaliated? What it the DB would've fought through contact and made a great day on the ball and ended up with a turnover.

At the end of the day football is an emotional game and sometimes you need to let those emotions flow through.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 4

Okay, Mr. Joe Fan on the message board... It's easy to sit here and say that they "should've been more aggressive."

They're doing what they're trained to do. Levi played that pass exactly how he's coached to play it. Diggs is taking the steps necessary to get to the ball exactly how he's trained to do it. You can't expect him to turn into Megatron during the play. It happens extremely fast and everything is so instinctual. 

What we should expect is the refs to call a consistent game.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Diggs is off this year, I don’t know why, but the guy caught everything last year, battled hard, this year, specifically the last 3 games, he has looked awful.  He’s not going after balls, he got hit in the arm on a perfect bomb, he didn’t even get his head around on the OT play that ended our chances.  I don’t know what the deal is, but he’s not there this year.

6 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

This is just horrible inexcusable reffing! The players played there hearts out to be screwed by this 

09194FCA-9585-440F-8A81-2207221A1095.jpeg

It sucks that the refs didn't call it. For sure. But what happens if Diggs turns around on the first one and shoves the defender to the ground. What do the refs do at that point? 

2 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

This is just horrible inexcusable reffing! The players played there hearts out to be screwed by this 

09194FCA-9585-440F-8A81-2207221A1095.jpeg

I don't see many Bucs games but I'm curious how often they are allowed to get away with that much holding. They got away with it a lot in the Super Bowl but KC got away with it against Bills in AFCCG. Anyway it's beyond frustrating..

13 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Okay, Mr. Joe Fan on the message board... It's easy to sit here and say that they "should've been more aggressive."

They're doing what they're trained to do. Levi played that pass exactly how he's coached to play it. Diggs is taking the steps necessary to get to the ball exactly how he's trained to do it. You can't expect him to turn into Megatron during the play. It happens extremely fast and everything is so instinctual. 

What we should expect is the refs to call a consistent game.

You know what I get it. I've played sports at high levels throughout my life, rugby, not Football, but man even if it takes getting a penalty do something. Diggs reacted enough to get his hands out to look for a call, he could've done something else at that point too, no?

Wait I’m confused-you want the Bills players to get a penalty called on them because they didn’t get a DPI called? Move back the potentially game tying field goal and make it a harder kick? I’m not even trying to be a jerk about this, I literally don’t understand what you’re trying to say

6 minutes ago, Hermes said:

It's not about what the refs called or didn't call. It's about the aggressiveness of the Bills players in those situations. Idgaf if Diggs gets called for a penalty, send that dude to the ground and make him pay for grabbing you like that.

What benefit does this have? 

The Bills lose yards and now the refs are focused on them committing penalties??

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Wait I’m confused-you want the Bills players to get a penalty called on them because they didn’t get a DPI called? Move back the potentially game tying field goal and make it a harder kick? I’m not even trying to be a jerk about this, I literally don’t understand what you’re trying to say

If they call a penalty it's not a loss of downs and they get another shot at the game winning score 

32 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Bills lost. Whatever.. 

They didn't close out the game when they had the chance, time to move on.

Anyway, the PI the penalties clearly affected the Bills more than the Bucs to say the least.  (My issue isn't that the Bills didn't get the calls or not. That's entirely irrelevant.)  It's the players reactions to what they perceived as penalties.

On the long ball to Diggs if he would've fought through it, instead of looking for a flag, he might've had a chance at the ball and possibly a TD.

On the fade to Diggs in the EZ on the 3rd before the FG to tie, he had pretty much no chance with the defender grabbing and essentially tackling him when the ball is in the air.

On the DPI that set the Bucs up in OT, not sure if it was Dane or Levi, he got in good position but got pulled away and managed to get a call against him.

In all of the circumstances the Bills players needed to be more aggressive. Diggs lack of aggressiveness when he let himself get pulled away from the play. He either needed to press the issue on the first and grab the DB by the arm and literally throw him off of his jersey. Force the issue with the refs and make them throw a flag. The EZ throw was a travesty but if Diggs sees that he isn't going to get the ball there, due to interference or not, then get physical with the DB. Take his helmet and smash it in the turf. Again, make the refs throw the flag. On the DPI in OT if the DB would've fought for the ball more instead of just trying to defend against a catch he might be had a pick or at least shown how much he was being prevented from making a play.

In all of these instances if the Bills would've pressed the issue and been more aggressive it would've led to something happening differently. Would anyone have been mad if Diggs got an OPI on either of his plays bc he retaliated? What it the DB would've fought through contact and made a great day on the ball and ended up with a turnover.

At the end of the day football is an emotional game and sometimes you need to let those emotions flow through.

Levi Wallace played that ball absolutely perfectly to avoid a penalty…it was an incredible play. Diggs lost the ball in the air I think when the defender started ripping his jersey off…the ball didn’t land in stride with him he got rerouted a bit it looked like.  Not to mention that is the most obvious pass interference call in the history of the world that the defender clearly did intentionally to save a td and it is absolutely laughable it wasn’t called and twice as laughable we are trying to blame diggs for it. That play had the Robey-Coleman effect in my eyes…it was such a completely obvious PI that the fact that it wasn’t called led me to believe there was some obscure rule I did not know lol

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 2

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

What benefit does this have? 

The Bills lose yards and now the refs are focused on them committing penalties??

Send a message to the defense that they're either going to have to be more physical or back off. Its psychological. The refs at that point are irrelevant and if they do throw a flag. Odds are they'd look at the whole play again rather than just a penalty on Diggs

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Levi Wallace played that ball absolutely perfectly to avoid a penalty…it was an incredible play. Diggs lost the ball in the air I think when the defender started ripping his jersey off…the ball didn’t land in stride with him he got rerouted a bit it looked like.  Not to mention that is the most obvious pass interference call in the history of the world that the defender clearly did intentionally to save a td and it is absolutely laughable it wasn’t called and twice as laughable we are trying to blame diggs for it 

Not entirely. But the team at that point must've known they weren't going to get any calls going their way. So force the issue. Make the refs throw the flag and from what we've seen in the NFL the offense generally gets the benefit of the doubt

7 minutes ago, Hermes said:

It's not about what the refs called or didn't call. It's about the aggressiveness of the Bills players in those situations. Idgaf if Diggs gets called for a penalty, send that dude to the ground and make him pay for grabbing you like that.

But it is about what the refs do or don't do.  The players have an expectation they'll call the game fair and square.  Whether they call it tight or lose.  Call it fair and even.  They shouldn't have to embellish or take a dive because the officials fail to do their job correctly.  Last night the ref's failed the game and they poorly represented their profession.      

Just now, Hermes said:

Send a message to the defense that they're either going to have to be more physical or back off. Its psychological. The refs at that point are irrelevant and if they do throw a flag. Odds are they'd look at the whole play again rather than just a penalty on Diggs

That’s not going to stop a thing unless the referees throw a flag. 

Nobody is going to stop being physical because Diggs is physical back. 

4 minutes ago, Hermes said:

If they call a penalty it's not a loss of downs and they get another shot at the game winning score 

So either the kick is at the same field position or the bills get another shot at the end zone (and possibly a further kick, which is a chip shot for Bass)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.