If the Bills re-sign Edmunds, they're stupid.

damj

I don’t mean get rid of him 

he’s too young and too much of a freak. 
he needs a different job. 
have him bulk up 20lbs and get him to rush the passer. 
have him line up at DL and get after the QB. 

AT THE VERY LEAST - Get him out of the middle. He’s out of place.  

how wrong is this take?

5 minutes ago, Bakin said:

I don’t mean get rid of him 

he’s too young and too much of a freak. 
he needs a different job. 
have him bulk up 20lbs and get him to rush the passer. 
have him line up at DL and get after the QB. 

AT THE VERY LEAST - Get him out of the middle. He’s out of place.  

how wrong is this take?

Pretty wrong.

Maybe make him LOSE 20 pounds and have him play corner. Or keep the weight and switch him to FB? Perhaps have him lose 30, then gain 20 then donate a kidney, adopt a kid from the Christmas tree at Walmart and buy him presents for Christmas and them ses if that translates into a good punter.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Utah John said:

Edmunds is playing the way Frazier wants him to play. Frazier has constructed the D to work as an 11 man unit.  Edmunds is not called on to make those impact plays.  He's there to eat up space on pass D, and to fill gaps on running plays.  Those gaps fills are a problem, I'll agree.  He's just not as bad a player as people here think he is.  

I think you're right by saying Frazier wants him to play like this. Time after time Edmunds finds a gap and immediately engages the nearest blocker instead of attacking the ball carrier. It's like he's taught to take on blockers to free up the secondary to make a tackle. 

54 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Pretty wrong.

Maybe make him LOSE 20 pounds and have him play corner. Or keep the weight and switch him to FB? Perhaps have him lose 30, then gain 20 then donate a kidney, adopt a kid from the Christmas tree at Walmart and buy him presents for Christmas and them ses if that translates into a good punter.

Well that’s a pretty ridiculous take. 
Are you saying he just can’t play football then?

20 minutes ago, Frostbite said:

I think you're right by saying Frazier wants him to play like this. Time after time Edmunds finds a gap and immediately engages the nearest blocker instead of attacking the ball carrier. It's like he's taught to take on blockers to free up the secondary to make a tackle. 

It’s madness.  And why we consistently give up big runs.  Instead of wanting your 250 lb linebacker to tackle a Derrick Henry, Jonathan Taylor, or Leonard Fournette, we ask our 200 lb DB’s to make the tackle against dudes 30-40 lbs heavier and with a full head of steam and then wonder why we give up big runs.  

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Used to say Edmunds was an above average linebacker based solely on his measureables, not his instinct or ability to read plays, but now I think he is in fact average. If Beane can trade him for a 1st he truly is a wizard.

I'd wear it and take a 3rd for him. No way we're getting a 1st. The rest of the league knows Edmunds flaws.  And this stubborn coaching staff refuses to put him outside?

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, damj said:

Oh. I agree. That's on coaching. I'm talking about if he made the tackle in the back field, NE punts, but no... He whiffed 

Come on, what weird Tampa need - 1 foot?  Fournette is a big boy who still had a head of some steam before contact.  It isn’t like Fournette is 5’7”, 185.

28 minutes ago, Frostbite said:

I think this is completely wrong.   They did not draft a linebacker with incredible speed to take up blockers.    This is the Carolina defense, did they ask Kuechly or Davis to take on blockers?  No, because those guys flew around and made plays.  These guys dont have a 1 Tech in front of them who is asked to eat up space and blockers, just to do the same thing.   The Bills drafted Edmunds to be a play maker, the problem is he just isnt a very instinctive football player.

What you're seeing is Edmunds failure to disengage when he takes on blockers.  

25 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Yet another Beane Boy Bust!

Leonard, Vanderesch & Warner were better LB selections in the Draft- later on. And they traded down to get him.

Vanderesch is injury prone an d Dallas declined his fifth year option.  The other two were projected as OLB.  The Bills saw Edmunds as a potential MLB.  That has not born out but he has the range and speed to be an effective OLB.  If you watched last nights game closely, they had him rushing the QB fro the outside.  He was disruptive and that is his future position.

7 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Vanderesch is injury prone an d Dallas declined his fifth year option.  The other two were projected as OLB.  The Bills saw Edmunds as a potential MLB.  That has not born out but he has the range and speed to be an effective OLB.  If you watched last nights game closely, they had him rushing the QB fro the outside.  He was disruptive and that is his future position.

If you can promise me we keep TE on the outside and allow him to occassionally blitz, I could live with him remaining at a very reasonable $ amount.  You need some semblance of run support/instincts to play mike. It can't be 100% pass coverage only. 

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If you can promise me we keep TE on the outside and allow him to occassionally blitz, I could live with him remaining at a very reasonable $ amount.  You need some semblance of run support/instincts to play mike. It can't be 100% pass coverage only. 

That is the problem.  The defense is built to stop the pass.   Last summer ESPN polled more than 50 executives, coaches, scouts and players for its rankings on players.   Edmunds was ranked in the top ten.  That is the assessment from the pros.  One thing we all forget is the D line has to occupy the OGs.   Edmunds and Milano to often are taking them on at the second level.   

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think this is completely wrong.   They did not draft a linebacker with incredible speed to take up blockers.    This is the Carolina defense, did they ask Kuechly or Davis to take on blockers?  No, because those guys flew around and made plays.  These guys dont have a 1 Tech in front of them who is asked to eat up space and blockers, just to do the same thing.   The Bills drafted Edmunds to be a play maker, the problem is he just isnt a very instinctive football player.

What you're seeing is Edmunds failure to disengage when he takes on blockers.  

Given what's on film, he literally looks for blockers to engage with. And it's not just a here or there thing, it's every game. You're right in the sense that he's not instinctive at all but Fraizer should be able to coach him up enough to try and avoid blockers instead of running into them head on. Just look at Fournette's long TD run.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.