Week 14 Gameday Bills at Buccaneers Postgame thread

Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I think he is a vastly superior run blocker and a better deep threat.

The former can turn a 6 yard run into a 26 yard run. The latter can add chunk plays on offense and change the way the defense is playing your offense.

Davis should be full time WR2 going forward, if you ask me. I've seen enough. The results are in. He offers more than Sanders at this point.

Sanders should be splitting time with Beasley, not Davis.

Yea I think I have to agree with you… I mean I like Sanders and all but if Davis is gonna offer us some more juice I’m all for it…

17 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

What I'm trying to get out of some of you is your definition of "blew the call". Intentionally or human error? If the latter, what is the fix? So far I have heard one suggestion, the sky judge. But I think that officials would feel as much infringement with that as they did with PI replay.

And yes, age can be a huge factor in terms of processing speed.

Fast processing speed probably is going to lead to mistakes. There is no race to throw a flag.  No extra credit for making a fast decision.  Experience is far more important.  Wisdom gained from experience takes years to develop and should not be underestimated.   

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

From the Athletic…

The Bills threw on 11 of 13 third downs Sunday, and Allen was just 6-for-11 for 31 yards on those plays, with zero conversions on those six completions. Buffalo’s two third-down conversions came on an Allen 18-yard run for a touchdown on third-and-2 and a Devin Singletary 2-yard run on a third-and-1 play.

A Buffalo Rumblings article on the TB game starts out with this completely nonsensical sentence...

"Tom Brady (ugh) and his Tampa Bay Buccaneers managed to overcome a sluggish first-half performance from the Buffalo Bills to secure a 33-27 victory in overtime."

Really? How does a team overcome the opponent's sluggish start?

• Haha (+1) 1

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just remembered an underrated sequence from the first half of this game.

We had the ball late in the 2nd qtr. Barrett goes clearly Offside and the officials blow the whistle.

Instead of stopping, Barrett "sacks" Allen anyway. No additional flag because there's no play.

I turned to my dad and said "That reminds me of when Seattle did that to us on a fg attempt a few years ago on MNF"

Next thing I know Richard Sherman has an int on Alllen.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:48 AM, Gene1973 said:

Old man eyes miss things. Processing what you're seeing faster is a benefit to QB's, don't see why it couldn't benefit refs who have to process visual input and formulate a judgment call in a matter of a few seconds.

Where are these young refs going to come from?

Here are the minimum requirements to be an NFL ref:

Minimum Necessary Requirements

- To be considered for a position as an official by the NFL, the candidate must have a minimum of 10 years experience officiating football, at least five of which must have been at a varsity collegiate or another professional level. 

- It is required that the candidate must belong to an accredited football officials association or have experience in football, such as a player or coach, and must be up on all of the rules of professional football, which can change from year to year.

- Candidates must be up to the task of running up and down the field. Since the job is physically demanding, the candidate must in excellent physical condition.

- Another consideration by the NFL includes the type of work and frequency of the candidate's officiating schedule for the past three seasons. This includes furnishing a detailed list of dates, schools, locations of games and positions worked.

https://www.liveabout.com/how-to-become-an-nfl-official-1333790

Less than 10 years experience is a good idea?  Working in varsity collegiate of other pro games is not necessary?

What evidence do you have that older officials are missing penalties etc due to poor eyesight?

I also don't see any old looking guys like I used to when Walt Coleman was calling games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.