The Bills control their own destiny

Matt_In_NH

hey if you want an optimistic viewpoint, the Bills with 5 games to do, win the division if they win the rest of their games on the schedule.   Are they where we want or expected them to be right now, no we all know that.   Obviously this can change tomorrow but if you want to have an optimistic view, this is it...win your games.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mattynh said:

hey if you want an optimistic viewpoint, the Bills with 5 games to do, win the division if they win the rest of their games on the schedule.   Are they where we want or expected them to be right now, no we all know that.   Obviously this can change tomorrow but if you want to have an optimistic view, this is it...win your games.

I think going 3-2 will do it, but 4-1 is the sweet spot. A loss to Tampa mathematically wouldn't be the worst, but it could go a long way in psychologically ruining this team. A win against Brady would be huge and give much more confidence in somehow winning the rest of the schedule.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Easy friend. Lots of posters around these parts detest that kind of talk.

Although, I'm excited for tomorrow since the pressure officially ramps up for the Bills. A game against the reigning SB champs and a string of must win games, means that, in essence the playoffs start tomorrow and I for one could not be happier. 

• Like (+1) 1

So many people have written the Bills off this week. After a loss like NE, I always tell myself I'm going to stay away from the internet & sports shows - I failed at that this week.  The Bills have basically been buried for the 2021 season.

Which would make a run right now VERY satisfying. They are capable of it. If they beat the Bucs, everything is back on the table.  

Things can change quickly in this league.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

So many people have written the Bills off this week. After a loss like NE, I always tell myself I'm going to stay away from the internet & sports shows - I failed at that this week.  The Bills have basically been buried for the 2021 season.

Which would make a run right now VERY satisfying. They are capable of it. If they beat the Bucs, everything is back on the table.  

I think the same thing, Well said!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Yep.  A win tomorrow and the conversation becomes “the Bills have beaten both Super Bowl teams from last year”.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

Gee is this breaking news…

it has been known for some time.

theysplit with Patriots they win out they win division. Because New England lost to Miami in week 1.

• Eyeroll 1

Those of you of a certain age will remember one of the Rocky movies, where Rocky fought Mr. T.  The theme song was about the Eye of the Tiger, about how a champion athlete needed the inner fire and drive to conquer their opponent.

Last year the Bills had that.  If they were in a close game, they hunkered down as a team and figured out how to win.

This year they have the eye of the housecat.  If they're ahead comfortably they relax and play well, and generally dominate an opponent.  But when they're challenged, this year they wilt.  They make enough mistakes to lose games they should win.  They fumble on kickoffs without being touched.  They fumble a simple handoff during a quarter when they had the wind against New England, costing them a chance to score when they could do it more easily.  They drop easy passes that could turn into first downs.  They usually play pretty decent football against tough teams, but they let ONE long run break free and they can't overcome it.

Where's the team leadership?  Who's holding the players responsible for their mistakes and failures?

It's funny.  Two years ago the defense was strong but last year they had a down year.  This year the defense is generally very good, but they still break at the worst possible times.  

Sure, I hope they make the playoffs but they're not SB bound.  Not this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Those of you of a certain age will remember one of the Rocky movies, where Rocky fought Mr. T.  The theme song was about the Eye of the Tiger, about how a champion athlete needed the inner fire and drive to conquer their opponent.

Last year the Bills had that.  If they were in a close game, they hunkered down as a team and figured out how to win.

This year they have the eye of the housecat.  If they're ahead comfortably they relax and play well, and generally dominate an opponent.  But when they're challenged, this year they wilt.  They make enough mistakes to lose games they should win.  They fumble on kickoffs without being touched.  They fumble a simple handoff during a quarter when they had the wind against New England, costing them a chance to score when they could do it more easily.  They drop easy passes that could turn into first downs.  They usually play pretty decent football against tough teams, but they let ONE long run break free and they can't overcome it.

Where's the team leadership?  Who's holding the players responsible for their mistakes and failures?

It's funny.  Two years ago the defense was strong but last year they had a down year.  This year the defense is generally very good, but they still break at the worst possible times.  

Sure, I hope they make the playoffs but they're not SB bound.  Not this year.  

I agree with everything but the last two sentences. All the Bills need is to come together again, as a team. It hasn’t been that way this season for many possible reasons, but it can happen in a flash, and bring them back together to fight against a common enemy. Maybe Jerry Sullivan?

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

NY Times says they have a 100% chance to make playoffs even with a LOSS to TAMPA, but then 4 wins thereafter.

4-1 with the loss to TB probably gets us in 99%+ of the time, but I don't think it's a mathematical guarantee. If Ravens, Titans, Chiefs, Patriots win their divisions and Bengals, Chargers, Colts win out then we'd be eliminated. I'm sure there's more fringe scenarios that would leave us eliminated given how many teams are 6-6 or better along with the Bills mediocre conference record.  

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

NY Times says they have a 100% chance to make playoffs even with a LOSS to TAMPA, but then 4 wins thereafter.

8 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I think going 3-2 will do it, but 4-1 is the sweet spot. A loss to Tampa mathematically wouldn't be the worst, but it could go a long way in psychologically ruining this team. A win against Brady would be huge and give much more confidence in somehow winning the rest of the schedule.

I've heard that a win in Tampa would be detrimental to our playoff hopes... you know out of conference games and all:cry:

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

15 hours ago, RiotAct said:

this is actually a very likely scenario.   I think we win tomorrow, though.

How would this team win 4 straight games when we’re awful at home? This team hasn’t played a complete game against a quality opponent at home since McD arrived. We’ve had a few good half’s, a few good quarters, that’s it.

Edited by Governor

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.