Train Horn Haters - Alternate Ideas?

JohnBonhamRocks

Obviously all Buffalo’s struggles can be attributed to the 3rd down train horn. 

Many have voiced displeasure with the train horn, but I recall few suggesting what should be done/played on 3rd down instead.

Thundering herd of Buffalo buffalo?

Something similar to the Sabres goal horn?

Just play the Wilhelm Scream on a loop?

Any favorite 3rd down noises / approaches from around the league, college football, or other sports? For example, at Notre Dame the students take out their keys and shake them to make noise on 3rd down. 

I think something that reflects the fan base and region would be ideal. Interested to hear your thoughts!

(Hate to feel like I have to give a disclaimer, but yes I am aware there is a 2019 thread about this. Figured 2 years is long enough.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To be somewhat original I think it should be something to do with a Buffalo stampede.  A horn, a rumbling, literally a stampede noise?  

The train horn is so unoriginal its embarrassing.  The Giants/Jets signal its 3rd down and to get loud, Den has a Bronco neighing, NE has a lighthouse with thunder lightning and a fog horn (very original) and I have no idea what Miami has, maybe some Dolphin noises from Sea World?  lol

My favorite is the Viking horn that Minnesota has, very original.  

Edited by P Riv
  • Like (+1) 2

I honestly never really noticed it one way or the other.

You do hear complaints about it all day long in the GDTs however.

Why does anything need to be played at all on 3rd down? 

It reminds me of the modern invention of "the goal song" that apparently must be played after every goal scored on home ice around the NHL.  The same song, all the time...I hate that tradition too.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m with the nothing crowd. I don’t like over thinking things, but I’ve never understood what the stupid horn is supposed to represent. It might be cool if it tied to Buffalo as a city somehow. The train horn means nothing, and it’s even obnoxious on tv. It becomes more annoying when getting blown out at home, and they still do the horn on third down. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’ve gotten used to it signaling me that it’s third down while my eyes are closed dreading the next 78 yard touchdown run between the tackles 

That’s a proper assessment of the last twenty years. I’d love statistics of what franchises have given up the most 60+ yard runs over the past few decades. Long runs seem like a very rare feat these days, yet they occur quite a bit against Bills teams, particularly at home games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.