Zach Cunningham released (Update : Claimed by the Titans)

billvernsays

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Titans are lower on the waiver priority than Buffalo so they never put in a claim. Not surprising. This isn't the regime to claim people released for disciplinary reasons whether they'd improve the team or not.

Believe Zach Cunningham played at Vanderbilt in Nashville and grew up in Northern Alabama so he must be happy

Doesn’t surprise me that Cunningham wasn’t claimed. Beane seems to not make any of the obvious moves that could potentially help the Bills succeed (Ertz for a 5th?!) 

Plus, claiming Cunnigham means cutting someone else and putting Edmunds on notice and we can’t afford to hurt feelings. /sarcasm

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Doesn’t surprise me that Cunningham wasn’t claimed. Beane seems to not make any of the obvious moves that could potentially help the Bills succeed (Ertz for a 5th?!) 

Plus, claiming Cunnigham means cutting someone else and putting Edmunds on notice and we can’t afford to hurt feelings. /sarcasm

Would love Ertz and Cunningham on this team right now. Solid depth to go along with two young players. 

Looks like the majority of the teams passed on a 1 down LB in a passing league.

Wanna know what’ll help our run defense more than a run stuffing LB???? How about an offense that can get back to scoring 30+ points and forcing the opposing offense to throw the ball more?

Edited by streetkings01
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Do you ever get tired of stroking every team in the NFL that is not the Bills?

Who else have I “stroked”?

Titans are physical football team with a top GM and probably most underrated coach in the league. They draft well, hit you in the mouth, and no other coach in the NFL has won more games as an underdog than Vrabel.

Other team I love is the Colts. Sorry, they are built the way we should be built from top to bottom. 

I’m a fan of the Bills, but that doesn’t mean I have to think Beane and McDermott walk on water. 

I think they both are very very overrated.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Missed an opportunity here.

I’m usually the guy saying it’s not that easy and there are many variables to consider when bringing a new guy in, but given the fact that the Texans are paying his guaranteed $$$ I for the life of me don’t understand why you wouldn’t attempt to see if this would work out or not. 

So much potential upside almost zero downside 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, billvernsays said:

I’m usually the guy saying it’s not that easy and there are many variables to consider when bringing a new guy in, but given the fact that the Texans are paying his guaranteed $$$ I for the life of me don’t understand why you wouldn’t attempt to see if this would work out or not. 

So much potential upside almost zero downside 

It’s because we don’t run a 4-3 defense ……we run a 4-2-5…..he doesn’t fit in this defense at all. It’s the equivalent of playing a CB that only plays zone and playing him in a primarily man 2 man defense. It’s the same reason why Spikes only lasted a season with us…..we pretty much tip our hand every time he’s in the game because he could only do one thing.

8 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

It’s because we don’t run a 4-3 defense ……we run a 4-2-5…..he doesn’t fit in this defense at all. It’s the equivalent of playing a CB that only plays zone and playing him in a primarily man 2 man defense. It’s the same reason why Spikes only lasted a season with us…..we pretty much tip our hand every time he’s in the game because he could only do one thing.

Just because that’s what we have done doesn’t mean that’s what we should do moving forward. 

We should run multiple packages when they go heavy we SHOULD be in a position to counter. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Logic said:

Still, recency bias (and a host of other, less flattering considerations) lead to people on here basically ready to cut Edmunds and replace him with a street free agent.

Nobody in this thread is suggesting we cut Edmunds or replace him, and if you think ZC is a "street free agent" it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. But you're not alone -- it's pretty obvious most here have never heard of him or seen him play. If this was a washed-up running back that everybody had on their fantasy team 5 years ago this thread would be 50 pages. It's very, very rare that a player of this caliber becomes available in December like this, especially at this price. Anyone insinuating that ZC doesn't have a place in this league due to his coverage skills simply does not know what they're talking about.

10 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Believe Zach Cunningham played at Vanderbilt in Nashville and grew up in Northern Alabama so he must be happy

Vrabel and his DC Shane Bowen were on the Texans coaching staff when ZC was a rookie in 2017. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, QCity said:

Nobody in this thread is suggesting we cut Edmunds or replace him, and if you think ZC is a "street free agent" it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. But you're not alone -- it's pretty obvious most here have never heard of him or seen him play. If this was a washed-up running back that everybody had on their fantasy team 5 years ago this thread would be 50 pages. It's very, very rare that a player of this caliber becomes available in December like this, especially at this price. Anyone insinuating that ZC doesn't have a place in this league due to his coverage skills simply does not know what they're talking about.

Vrabel and his DC Shane Bowen were on the Texans coaching staff when ZC was a rookie in 2017. 

^^^^^ 100% 

14 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Is Klein better in run defense or coverage than ZC? Is Dodson? He at a minimum provides more depth than those guys for a playoff run. And do we never play goal line or short yardage defense? We never have 3 LB's on the field? McD just got pissed at a reporter for asking they dont and said he does it.

Against the Pats we need 3 LB's. I would argue the same vs TEN and IND. All likely playoff opponents.

8 hours ago, QCity said:

The logic can be funny on these boards. For $275K we have a huge upgrade for our limited LB depth -we dont do it and obviously its because he sucks, is not a good fit, etc. The guy is a football player, has toughness, proven he can play at a starter caliber level but we dont need that. We have AJ Klein who is hopefully coming off the COVID list and Joe Giles if he cant. 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:35 PM, billvernsays said:

TE has been great against the pass, close to elite in fact. But you can’t deny that he’s below average against the run because his instincts have not caught up with his athleticism. 

ZC is a beast an 100% instinctive LB, TE could’ve learned a thing or two from him.

So TE gets an A for his pass coverage and D for run support. I have an idea, why don't we find a MLB who's a solid B at both responsibilities? What are we going to do, bench him every time we play a run team or just wear it and play with 10. We very likely will face the Pats, Titans or Colts before we face KC.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

So TE gets an A for his pass coverage and D for run support. I have an idea, why don't we find a MLB who's a solid B at both responsibilities? What are we going to do, bench him every time we play a run team or just wear it and play with 10. We very likely will face the Pats, Titans or Colts before we face KC.

Because players like this aren’t available, on waivers, for this cost, this late in the season. 

I hope I’m wrong and this is a non issue but IMO this was a guy that could’ve helped us on multiple packages during the stretch run and postseason. 

On 12/8/2021 at 12:52 PM, billvernsays said:

If nothing else putting a claim in for ZC would light a fire under Edmunds 

The Texans will eat a $12.8 million dead cap hit next year. With no guarantees for 2022 and a $275K dead cap hit for the remainder of this year, it's likely that a team claims him off waivers. 

Why did they release him

On 12/8/2021 at 1:55 PM, Logic said:

Unless Cunningham can call plays on offense or catch the ball as a tight end, I'm not sure he'll fix what's ailing the Bills right now...

Right Guard?

On 12/9/2021 at 7:18 PM, JayBaller10 said:

Ertz went for a 5th!?! We screwed up there.

Beane was making moves all The time his first two years but has gotten complacent since winning big last year

On 12/9/2021 at 8:36 PM, McBean said:

Who else have I “stroked”?

Titans are physical football team with a top GM and probably most underrated coach in the league. They draft well, hit you in the mouth, and no other coach in the NFL has won more games as an underdog than Vrabel.

Other team I love is the Colts. Sorry, they are built the way we should be built from top to bottom. 

I’m a fan of the Bills, but that doesn’t mean I have to think Beane and McDermott walk on water. 

I think they both are very very overrated.

Eh, the Titans are on the downswing and will miss the playoffs.  Their offense goes with Henry and with the pounding he's taken, it was inevitable that he would get injured.  I doubt he's ever fully healthy again and if so, there goes the team.  And the Bills have gotten further in the playoffs than them. 

The Colts are good.  But they too are dependent on their RB.  They'll only go so far because Wentz is a caretaker QB at best now.  And the Bills beat them when it counted in the playoffs.  Hopefully they hand the Cheaters a loss next weekend, though.

As for being overrated, those got the Bills to the playoffs their first season together when everyone thought the team was taking, and the team has made the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years.  They also obviously found a great QB.  They were on track to easily make them this year (I still think they will) until COVID threw a wrench intp things, which is on the players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.