QBs Calling Plays

Milanos Milano

Jim Kelly called his own plays, Peyton Manning called his own plays. We all have been complaining at Daboll’s head scratching calls at times, so you think Allen calling his own plays would be any worse? Are you guys willing to let Josh Allen truly lead this team? Josh has subtly hinted at his frustrations with the play calling and I think he secretly wants to take over those duties. 

Then we know who to blame. Allen would be solely responsible for this offensive success or woes. We still need better o-linemen, but I think Allen would lead us just like Kelly did. 

Pretty much any time someone asks that question, "Can it get any worse?" the answer is yes.

Really, that's my observation. Every single time the answer is that it absolutely can get much much worse. Certainly true in this case. As evidence I will point to the fact that our record is 7-5. It Is not 0-12.

Yes, it can get spectacularly worse.

This is not a good idea. And while the play-calling could be improved ... it was not the problem yesterday. Execution was.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Pretty much any time someone asks that question, "Can it get any worse?" the answer is yes.

Really, that's my observation. Every single time the answer is that it absolutely can get much much worse. Certainly true in this case. As evidence I will point to the fact that our record is 7-5. It Is not 0-12.

Yes, it can get spectacularly worse.

This is not a good idea. And while the play-calling could be improved ... it was not the problem yesterday. Execution was.

The play calling was absolutely awful. Running with the wind, zero no huddle with the wind, no motion, no pulling guards, no designed Josh runs, so plan inside the red zone, almost no outside runs, 1 WR screen. Yuck.. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I watched the Manning cast because I can't stand the ESPN Monday night guys.  Peyton was calling plays most of the night and seemed frustrated with some of those calls near the goal line.  If Bills ever let Josh call plays I think he will be more like Kelly and make the adjustments needed.  I kind of feel he does that sometimes when the play breaks down, but some of those run calls inside the 10 had no chance.  Probably won't happen until Daboll is gone, but...

No.

A big part of good play calling is knowing what plays your team can and cannot execute.  Knowing the strengths of each player.

When JA17 studies tape, he is studying the other team.  Not his own players.  So, not yet.  Maybe they begin an offseason with that as an idea, so JA17 can understand everything that's involved.  So he can be involved in driving, not just riding, the weekly installations AND the plans going into that.

26 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

When JA17 studies tape, he is studying the other team.  Not his own players. 

Do you know this for a fact? Seems like he should be studying the "All-22" so he knows what every player is doing.

yes, because i'm with him 24 hours per day.  what is your point?

Even studying all 22, you are watching maybe routes, but not necessarily technique

Even studying 22, you as Qb are doing it for the next opponent, so the 11 on offense are probably not Bills players, and if they are, its from weeks ago.

21 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Jim Kelly called his own plays, Peyton Manning called his own plays. We all have been complaining at Daboll’s head scratching calls at times, so you think Allen calling his own plays would be any worse? Are you guys willing to let Josh Allen truly lead this team? Josh has subtly hinted at his frustrations with the play calling and I think he secretly wants to take over those duties. 

Then we know who to blame. Allen would be solely responsible for this offensive success or woes. We still need better o-linemen, but I think Allen would lead us just like Kelly did. 

Josh does have some freedom to change plays at the line.  I remember earlier this season, some of the running plays that everyone hates were audibles that Josh changed into.  

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

I watched the Manning cast because I can't stand the ESPN Monday night guys.  Peyton was calling plays most of the night and seemed frustrated with some of those calls near the goal line.

First time I watched Manning's. I really liked Peyton's input. Yeah he had better calls than what we did. His experience & intelligence made everything so obvious to him

Overall, I think that would be a bad idea.

Having said that, Josh would undoubtedly do a few things that would aid the offense.

1) He would throw the ball all the time, or call QB designed run plays, both of which are our strengths, because he wants to be in the center of the action.

2) He would likely keep it simple, cutting back on errors and allowing players to get into a groove.

3) Plays would unfold quicker than they do now, also allowing Josh to get in a rhythm.

All that would help the team, not hurt it.

For a series now and again, it could be an interesting experiment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.