Forget improving run defense through the draft …

Juror#8

Warning: this may be the dumbest idea you’ve read all week. But here goes nothing …

Has it ever worked that a team built to stop _________ has been successful?

I’ve been reading people mentioning that we need to spend draft capital on meat up front to be disruptive to the run.

But isn’t that reactionary?

Doesn’t then the issue become when the nfl offensive paradigm shifts [again] another part of the defense is exposed that wasn't the point of emphasis causing this perpetual cycle of fitting pieces to keep pace with some sense of perfect state team archetype? 

Maybe I’m way off base but it just seems like the successful teams get really good at something and punish the rest of the league with that something. Those same teams stay on the cutting edge continuing to diversify that something so that as the rest of the league attempts to adjust, the rest of the league stays a step slow. 

Belichick has crap for receivers and their quarterback is a Trent Edwards-esque game manager but they’re running behind big uglies and they have an opportunistic and disciplined defense. 

Kansas City had a bs running game last year and their defense has remained largely suspect for the two years they made it to the Super Bowl. 

Tampa Bay is susceptible to the pass. Very much so. And their run game last year was suspect but they won the dance. 

I mean every team has a “something.” The 2021 Buffalo Bills is bad at run defense and have a poor to middling running game. 

From the standpoint of roster construction and team building philosophy, I almost wonder if it makes more sense to spend draft capital on lineman for pass pro (which will also help the run game), a better between the tackles runner who is an animal on dump offs, and then challenge the league to keep up. 

Yes you’re reading this right. I’m suggesting do nothing from a personnel standpoint to address the run defense and instead focus on getting insanely good at that something (in this case Josh and a high powered passing attack). 

The difference between 2020 and 2021 was the rest of the league adapted enough to keep up and McDermott and Co. weren’t innovative enough to stay a step ahead.

Try to lead the pack instead of keeping pace. 

2007 Colts. 

Edited by Juror#8

When our passing game isn't good enough, it doesn't mean "run more."

It means "learn to pass better."

I have wanted an elite Kelce type TE for a while for this reason.  I hoped Knox could be the guy.  

I still say improve the OL, however, b/c investment there makes Josh Allen a better QB, and that directly plays into what we do best.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm with improving the OL and getting a RB who is a true dynamic duel threat weapon. As far as run D, we need some talented BIG bodies in the middle and maybe go to a 4-3 and move Edmonds outside and find us a truly dynamic MLB. 

My wish list for next year would be keep the same core. 

Upgrade in order: RB1, LG, MLB, DT, CB through FA and the draft.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

When our passing game isn't good enough, it doesn't mean "run more."

It means "learn to pass better."

I have wanted an elite Kelce type TE for a while for this reason.  I hoped Knox could be the guy.  

I still say improve the OL, however, b/c investment there makes Josh Allen a better QB, and that directly plays into what we do best.

Our whole offseason should be dedicated to the o-line. Singletary is getting respectable ypc. The problem is, our o-line is not doing their jobs. Moss is the RB that is the problem and should be cut. I think Singletary has shown enough to give him another season evaluation with a revamped o-line. The draft this year sucks for RBs anyways, nobody in the draft this year can run faster than a 4.5 . That’s terrible. You need the combination of a bruiser and speed like Jonathan Taylor. Let me know when a physical 4.4 RB is available. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Warning: this may be the dumbest idea you’ve read all week. But here goes nothing …

I’ve been reading people mentioning that we need to spend draft capital on meat up front to be disruptive to the run.

Doesn’t then the issue become when the nfl offensive paradigm shifts [again] another part of the defense is exposed that wasn't the point of emphasis causing this perpetual cycle of fitting pieces to keep pace with some sense of perfect state team archetype? 

Maybe I’m way off base but it just seems like the successful teams get really good at something and punish the rest of the league with that something. Those same teams stay on the cutting edge continuing to diversify that something so that as the rest of the league attempts to adjust, the rest of the league stays a step slow. 

Belichick has crap for receivers and their quarterback is a Trent Edwards-esque game manager but they’re running behind big uglies and they have an opportunistic and disciplined defense. 

Kansas City had a bs running game last year and their defense has remained largely suspect for the two years they made it to the Super Bowl. 

Tampa Bay is susceptible to the pass. Very much so. And their run game last year was suspect but they won the dance. 

I mean every team has a “something.” The 2021 Buffalo Bills is bad at run defense and have a poor to middling running game. 

From the standpoint of roster construction and team building philosophy, I almost wonder if it makes more sense to spend draft capital on lineman for pass pro (which will also help the run game), a better between the tackles runner who is an animal on dump offs, and then challenge the league to keep up. 

Yes you’re reading this right. I’m suggesting do nothing from a personnel standpoint to address the run defense and instead focus on getting insanely good at that something (in this case Josh and a high powered passing attack). 

The difference between 2020 and 2021 was the rest of the league adapted enough to keep up and McDermott and Co. weren’t innovative enough to stay a step ahead.

2007 Colts. 

The NFL (and just football in general) has begun with the truth that to win you must be able to run and stop the run and then you go on from there. It is extremely embarrassing that we built the team that lost last night on purpose. Never, at no time was the following sentence true. " This is a passing league?"

This is a league of balance where you start to build by being able to run and stop the run. Then the QB, then everything else.  Shame on McBeane. Someone should be made to pay and this clearly comes from the top...

IDK? 

Is McBeane capable of coming up with a master plan and executing it? A plan to win the Super Bowl next season?

Because that is what we should be doing. We have the hardest part to find, the QB. We have some other talent....

Can McBeane see this thing thru?

I'm not even sure they know what they are supposed to be doing?

If the goal is not to be bad next year they should be fired now.

And make no mistake. This is not Daboll's fault. McBeane should have known that you have to be able to run and stop the run. They supplied us with the worst RB room in the league yet spent fully on it.

They supplied us with a front seven that cannot stop the run yet they spent record spending on this front seven.

I'm just st a fan but I know this. It is an embarrassment.

• Dislike 1

You don't follow trends, you don't try to set trends...you build your team to beat your division rivals.  You steal their players and assistants when you can.

That's what Bill Parcells did, that's what Belichick does, and it works.  They build from the inside out and control the line of scrimmage, seems like everything else just works out from there.   

1 hour ago, Juror#8 said:

2007 Colts. 

Our “something” is a crap OC.  We are maintaining our cutting edge “run on 1 so 3 and done” offense

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.