Build a Dome

KDIGGZ

Above all else, the Bills beat themselves yesterday by taking the ball out of Josh Allen's hands. When they drafted him, the ongoing narrative was that we needed a big, strong armed QB to throw it through the wind and snow.  Well yesterday we had wind and snow and we were scared to throw it until the 4th quarter when we had no other choice.  We couldn't stop the run, sure, but we only gave up 14 points.  That's a game you need to win.

I grew up watching the teams of the 90's win by touting a "homefield advantage" when opponents had to come to Buffalo.  They couldn't handle the elements and weren't as prepared for the snow as we were.  "Where else would you rather be than right here right now" was the battle cry.  Coming to Buffalo in December and January made it almost unfair at times.  I was young but I can't remember any games where the conditions were too bad for Jim Kelly.  The weather wasn't great as Frank Reich put up 35 points in the 2nd half in the greatest comeback game.  I can remember Andre Reed catching a TD pass over the middle and sliding across the snow/ice.

When was the last time we felt like we had an advantage when the weather turned bad?  As much as I loved those games of the 90's, this seems to be a much different team.  How many of us were watching the weather report and dreading this game knowing there would be snow and wind?  That doesn't sound like much of a homefield advantage to me.  More like a homefield DISADVANTAGE.

And that leads to me to my point.  The Bills just invested $258 million into Josh Allen for the next 7 years.  During this time, it's expected that the Bills will be building a new stadium.  All indications point to the stadium being an open-air stadium across the street from the current stadium which is smack dab in the southtowns lake effect snow belt.  After what I saw yesterday, it's never been more obvious to me that the Bills need to spend more money to build a dome.  Are we really going to have possibly another decade of not passing the ball because of bad weather?  Are we really going to have the opponent's kicker being able to read the wind while ours can't?  Or the opponent running the ball down our throats?  It seems pretty obvious to me...

BUILD A DOME.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

Whether or not we build a dome will be decided by a multitude of complicated forces involving politics and finance.

It will not be based on what gives the team an advantage (or disadvantage) in cold weather.