MYTH Busted: "The Defense couldn't stop the Run"

DrDawkinstein

7 hours ago, Mat68 said:

At every level of football.  Its easier to get big runs when the box is full to stop it.  One seem is all you need.  When you got secondary in off coverage and a saftey deep you have faster guys on angles.  Its sucks.  The game was a tough watch.  The defense stood up and made stops when they had to late.

Was it enough to win?  Not on Monday night.  I think the question many are asking and probably the feeling of the defense themselves is it couldve been enough.  In most cases should have been enough to win.    

Inexcusable to allow a 65 yard run when everyone knows you are running the ball.  Terrible defense and quit trying to make excuses.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Inexcusable to allow a 65 yard run when everyone knows you are running the ball.  Terrible defense andquit trying to make excuses.

No excuses.  Calling it like I see it.  Is it the end of the world?  No.  Did it suck as a fan?  Yes.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

No excuses.  Calling it like I see it.  Is it the end of the world?  No.  Did it suck as a fan?  Yes.  

This was 3 plays after the terrible fumble by Breida (again a terrible call on first down), when the Bills were marching with the wind.

Here's the Mannings' hitting the nail on the head.....  No receivers spread out and everyone on the line and the Bills piss poor defense on the play.

Get out of the Nickel Defense!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Unless you expect a shut out the defense did fine as a whole. Every defense gives up a play. 

Did you see the video above & the Mannings' reaction?  I'm dumbfounded (and I pay minimal attention to defensive alignment and formation), how NE has Everyone on the LOS and the Bills are playing a Nickel when the possibility of a pass is next to nothing (i.e. every play has been a run).

We've been gashed by the run in multiple games now. We had to stack 9 or 10 in the box just to hold them to 220 yards rushing which included a home run play. I don't think this myth has been busted.

Having said that, our defense overall has been very good even though it's been boosted by a bunch of crappy offenses. This loss wasn't on the defense. 

On 12/7/2021 at 3:34 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Most of my gripes come with the offense, but the defense is also complicit.

You can’t not count the Harris TD run just like you can’t not count the Henry TD run. Or any other play that happens in a game. In those two tight important conference matchups, part of the reason we lost was giving up a huge rushing play. Last night it was a huge rushing play in addition to regularly getting pushed back. 

The inability of Buffalo’s defense to stop the run also made it tougher on their offense. Pats* led the Bills by 4 minutes in time of possession. Can’t score without the ball. 

The most inexcusable part is that Buffalo’s defense had to know the run was coming most of the game and still could not adjust to stop a one-dimensional offense. Seems Frazier tweaked his play-calling way too late in the game and regardless our defensive line just got physically outmatched and controlled. 

I would like a game breaking/controlling DT to put alongside Oliver. 

We need to get a hold of some of that TB12 HGH/Steroid, bring back Fat Pat and Mount Washington and make them young again. We really need some beef on the D-Line to force a team to do something other than run at us all night.

As far as our offense is concerned, just let JA17 call his own plays in the red zone, it would have to be an improvement over what Daboll has been calling in the zone all season.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Did you see the video above & the Mannings' reaction?  I'm dumbfounded (and I pay minimal attention to defensive alignment and formation), how NE has Everyone on the LOS and the Bills are playing a Nickel when the possibility of a pass is next to nothing (i.e. every play has been a run).

I did not but I watched the game.  The defense effectively stopped NE all but a few times.  Shutting out an opponent completely is a rare occurrence.  I do get what you are saying but our defense as a whole was effective.  Nitpicking a few things about a defense that just held their opponent to 14 points IMO is unjustified.

If I take away anything from this game is that run heavy teams are fairly meaningless against an offense that can score.

Edited by Scott7975

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

What makes a running yard more "embarrassing" than a passing yard? 

NE barely cracked 230 yards of offense for the game. That's hardly anything. 

I would rather a team keep running, because odds are good that they won't do a whole lot. 

A quick google search seems to indicate that a team that rushes for over 200 yards wins around 88% of the time .  Passing for over 200 is not so meaningful . 

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

What makes a running yard more "embarrassing" than a passing yard? 

NE barely cracked 230 yards of offense for the game. That's hardly anything. 

I would rather a team keep running, because odds are good that they won't do a whole lot. 

Because runs eat up the clock and keep Josh Allen off the field. While a 1 yard completion would eat up 40 seconds, just like a 1 yard run, an incompletion (about half of thrown passes) stops the clock. Teams that want to kill the clock run the ball over and over again. We had no answer. 

13 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

A quick google search seems to indicate that a team that rushes for over 200 yards wins around 88% of the time .  Passing for over 200 is not so meaningful . 

Normal circumstances sure, though Tennessee San for that the week before vs NE and were buried.

These were not normal conditions.  They threw 3 times!!!

The 65 yard run was a terrible and never should have happened.  Watch thecreplay.  NE had 8 men on the line and the Bills 4....  What were they thinking?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.