What mental effect will the NE loss have on the Bills?

JohnNord

Last night was probably a much worse loss than any other this season only because of how it went down.  

The lore of Bill Belichick is that he find a weakness and exploits it.  New England basically imposed their will on the Bills and it seemed like this was Belichick saying FU and playing mind games to a team that’s been labeled “soft” and probably is.  

On offense they dared the Bills defensive front 7 to man up and stop their running attack and the Bills couldn’t.

On defense they dated the Bills to score touchdowns, to the point that they gladly punted with the wind and the Bills couldn’t do it.

This was a humiliating loss in so many ways and you could see the frustration boil over in post game comments with Hyde, Poyer, and McDermott.  

My fear is that the Bills are shell-shocked from this drubbing and I don’t think it will end well.   I think they finish the year 9-8 and obviously out of the playoffs which would be a huge disappointment 

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Last night was probably a much worse loss than any other this season only because of how it went down.  

The lore of Bill Belichick is that he find a weakness and exploits it.  New England basically imposed their will on the Bills and it seemed like this was Belichick saying FU and playing mind games to a team that’s been labeled “soft” and probably is.  

On offense they dared the Bills defensive front 7 to man up and stop their running attack and the Bills couldn’t.

On defense they dated the Bills to score touchdowns, to the point that they gladly punted with the wind and the Bills couldn’t do it.

This was a humiliating loss in so many ways and you could see the frustration boil over in post game comments with Hyde, Poyer, and McDermott.  

My fear is that the Bills are shell-shocked from this drubbing and I don’t think it will end well.   I think they finish the year 9-8 and obviously out of the playoffs which would be a huge disappointment 

I could see them winning 1 game going forward.

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

To me this was downright embarrassing, it just reeked of lack of accountability! We're all doing our jobs just fine, but (pointing) those others aren't. Shameful

I dont know about the players, but between last night and the Jags game, I'm shell-shocked and pretty much done with this team until they prove it. I'll tune back in for the playoffs, assuming we still make those (which at this point is a stretch).

Looking to reset next year. Hopefully Beane finds some angry, tough dudes to put in the middle of both our Lines.

• Agree 1

This team has not been right since the KC win. Defense struggled against TEN and the offense almost bailed them out. Then the bye, struggled the first half against Miami, but then won. Since the, it's been a cycle of lose to a good team, beat a bad team the next week.

I think we have the talent to turn it around.  The defense needs some answers to the run and myst pressure Brady.  Next week is going to be a high scoring affair in nice weather. A Tampa win cures all ills and sets us up for a rematch in Foxborough. I don't think NE succeeds with the same game plan again. They will need to throw the ball. ATL, the JETS and Panthers are all winnable games. That's 10-7 and a shot at a WC.  A win against TB clears a path for 11-6. or 12-5 with REVENGE on our minds. 

I think it all comes down to this week of practice. The go in and beat TB and we get our mojo back.  A loss to TB and it's going to be a rough road. 

they usually bounce back with motivation and its been awhile since we lost two in a row, but this week is defending champs and Brady, would be great for the psyche to win it will Pats are on bye, and then have colts beat Pats setting the stage for Dec 26 ematch with the Pats - do or die - but would love another meaningful game against them

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Definitely agree with this.  THis team is not only physically soft, they're  mentally soft. Rather than turning adversity into forward momentum, getting a chip on their collective shoulder, i feel like they're already into falling apart.  They feel let down by the coaching staff (accurately, i might add), the GM, for pursuing his island of misfit toys DL, and perhaps most of all by eachother.  By that i mean the boneheads who wont get their shot, guys who consistently make drive killing mistakes, morons taking their business to social media, etc.  If I see one more puff piece on any of these guys and the wonderful things they're doing, before they win a couple games, i'm gonna puke.  The only upside of this season destroying swoon is that the media will rightly mock us, and maybe we can move up enough in the draft to select the best tweener DL available.   We'll be ranked as the 3rd team in the AFCE going into next year so expectations will be low.

2 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I think we have the talent to turn it around.  The defense needs some answers to the run and myst pressure Brady.  Next week is going to be a high scoring affair in nice weather. A Tampa win cures all ills and sets us up for a rematch in Foxborough. I don't think NE succeeds with the same game plan again. They will need to throw the ball. ATL, the JETS and Panthers are all winnable games. That's 10-7 and a shot at a WC.  A win against TB clears a path for 11-6. or 12-5 with REVENGE on our minds. 

I think it all comes down to this week of practice. The go in and beat TB and we get our mojo back.  A loss to TB and it's going to be a rough road. 

I'd have them running wind sprints until they puke.  Dont like it?  win on Sunday and no more wind sprints

it's not as if we're going to attempt any adjustment to our gameplan

4 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

they usually bounce back with motivation and its been awhile since we lost two in a row, but this week is defending champs and Brady, would be great for the psyche to win it will Pats are on bye, and then have colts beat Pats setting the stage for Dec 26 ematch with the Pats - do or die - but would love another meaningful game against them

It's hard to picture brady and the bucs losing to this team.  They have strong OL & DL, a hammer at RB, and WRs and TEs to expose our secondary.  Maybe we'll even see a repeat of Gronk doing a WWE move on one of our players while the rest look on forlornly

• Awesome! (+1) 1

If this was any other team.  If Tennessee was the winning team last night, fans and players would shrug it off and say "see  you in the playoffs!"  Being its the dreaded Patriots....it is soul crushing and the mentally effect them.  Look for a surly Bills team to take the field next week.  Tommy Boy will have a bulls eye on his chest.  Embarrassed and angry teams are a handful

Edited by Nitro

40 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Well then you need to bet the Buccaneers on Sunday, because Vegas has the line at -3 so on a neutral field, everyone thinks the Bills are even with them

37 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I would not be shocked… I think they’ll win 2 more games because I think they are will be very shell-shocked 

Carolina, Atlanta, and the Jets are all terrible. All of those games will take place in Buffalo. They'll win those. What will determine the fate of their season are TB and NE games. As for the playoffs, the Chargers have an easy schedule outside of a home game vs KC, the Bengals and Steelers have brutal schedules, and the Colts have to play the Pats and Cardinals (road game) in their next two games. The Bills will probably squeak if they go 10-7. I think the Chargers will probably get in, and after that it's between the Bills, Bengals, Colts, and Steelers for two spots. If the Bills win on Sunday -- which I'm not predicting, by the way, but I do think they have a decent chance -- they're going to make the playoffs.   

4 minutes ago, Nitro said:

If this was any other team.  If Tennessee was the winning team last night, fans and players would shrug it off and say "see  you in the playoffs!"  Being its the dreaded Patriots....it is soul crushing and the mentally effect them.  Look for a surly Bills team to take the field next week.  Tommy Boy will have a bulls eye on his chest.  Embarrassed and angry teams are a handful

Do you think they have the good manners to be embarrassed and angry?  the 2021 Bills seem more like a team who expected to be coronated champions before any games were played, and when that didn't pan out, they were out of ideas and are playing out the string.  Josh Allen is the exception to this, and I think there's probably a few others, but the team vibe isn't one of striving for success

• Like (+1) 1

HUGE.  Why?  At home in weather supposed to be our advantage they manned up and ran it down our throats and dominated the LOS.  It will have a massive effect and now the rest of the league knows the best way to attack us is to out physical us on the ground.  TN showed it and this board thought it was a fluke.  Indy really showed it again.  NE did it last night.  How many times does this board need to see an ass kicking before it fesses up to reality?  

• Like (+1) 1