Did McDermott all but admit there will be coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball?

BuffaloBill

On 12/7/2021 at 10:47 AM, Nextmanup said:

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

The future is a balanced offense and without one you're not going to succeed. Doesn't mean you can't throw it 65% of the time. Right now the top 5 issues this team needs to figure out is OL, OL, OL, OL & OL.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think this clip is basically right - he should have bounced it out - but it has been pointed out that Judon gained outside leverage on Spencer Brown and simply cut back inside when he saw the direction Moss was headed in. And while it's easy to criticize Moss, Morse is badly beaten there. The idea behind the play was for Morse to actually hold his block, and he completely failed. 

I think Rico is basically wrong :)

Cover 1 makes a pretty strong case that what Moss should have done was stick close to Morse but  to his L. 

I didn't believe this but after looking at people's blocking angles and what's going on, I understand their point.  I'm not sure it would have gotten him more, but it wouldn't have gotten him less, and if he were quick enough Morse had better leverage.  But I think Morse might have been beaten to either side.

Judon was going to be able to come off Brown and get Moss even quicker if he cut to the outside.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cover 1 makes a pretty strong case that what Moss should have done was stick close to Morse but  to his L. 

I didn't believe this but after looking at people's blocking angles and what's going on, I understand their point.  I'm not sure it would have gotten him more, but it wouldn't have gotten him less, and if he were quick enough Morse had better leverage.  But I think Morse might have been beaten to either side.

Judon was going to be able to come off Brown and get Moss even quicker if he cut to the outside.

I personally think he gets some positive yardage there. Brown didn't have leverage, but he didn't completely whiff either like Morse. Point is, Brown would still have been a thorn in Judon's side if Moss had bounced it out. Morse was beaten so quickly that there was nothing there inside.

8 minutes ago, Gordio said:

This is an excellent point.   It is not Daboll's fault the line can't block worth a sh*t or the rbs have no vision.  If Moss cuts that run to the outside he walks in for the td.  That is on Beane.  

You are correct to an extent, however how correct will never be known.

When we signed Feliciano at became very well known that he was brought in because Bobby Johnson went to bat for him. They had worked together before and Johnson LOVED Feliciano. I find it rather hard to believe that Daboll gets zero say so on personal but Johnson did. 

For all we know Motor, Moss, the linemen...were all requested by Daboll. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If we had a bigger, more explosive back who hit the hole faster that's at least a 3 yard gain and it's 2nd & goal from the 3 which is a lot easier to deal with than from the 6. And if our bigger, stronger RB breaks a tackle it's a TD. And note all the Patriot eyeing Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I tend to agree.

It's hard as a fan to know how good position coaches are.  But our OL was poor last year and more-or-less the same guys are even worse this year.  

FWIW, Johnson has coached for 26 years.  Being an OL coach is the most prestigious job he's ever had. 

That last doesn't mean a thing. 

Dante Scarnecchia was an OL coach essentially his entire 49 year NFL career.  He was the Pats OL coach from 1999 to 2016 (he nominally retired in 2013 but continued to coach Pats OLmen on technique).  He was an amazing OL coach who managed to mold together scraps and baling wire and a couple of good players into a very good OL. 

Sometimes people do something for a long time because they're good at it.

But we have a problem here on OL, and I'm not sure how it's fixable.  The line seems worse than last season or the season before, with largely the same players and the adds (Spencer Brown, Williams) having seemed like additions at the time.

There are possibilities:

1) Johnson is a good coach, and is teaching proper technique and there are appropriate schemes.  The players aren't executing as well for some reason

a) too much is being asked of them - ambiguity of the RPOs, Josh Allen holding the ball too long waiting for a player to come open

b) mentally/physically Dawkins, Boettger and perhaps Williams are being impacted (Covid? It can have long term mental effects - and OL requires mental sharpness)

2) Johnson is a good coach, and is teaching proper technique, but the schemes are not as appropriate to the players' abilities.  Cover1 has pointed out that in 2019, with a more effective run game, we were predominantly a gap run team with a lot of pin and pull blocking and guys getting out in space, and we're now a zone run team. 

a) When it comes down to "man whupping man", our players get beat too often

b) We are using a lot of RPOs - and RPOs create ambiguity.  They are run blocking with an asterisk.  Furthermore, we predominantly pass out of RPOs - 80% of the time - so the OL needs to be especially mindful of that.

3) Johnson is a poor coach, and has either "lost the room" or is not enforcing proper technique, thus leading to guys not developing or regressing, getting pwned, false starts, and holding penalties

I feel that something is wrong, but I don't know what.  I know, I know, we need better OLmen .... but the fact is, we did better with pretty much the same OLmen in 2019

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If we had a bigger, more explosive back who hit the hole faster that's at least a 3 yard gain and it's 2nd & goal from the 3 which is a lot easier to deal with than from the 6. And if our bigger, stronger RB breaks a tackle it's a TD. And note all the Patriot eyeing Allen.

This is true.  If Moss hit the hole more explosively (either side of Morse) he gets 2 or 3 yds and it's 2nd and goal from the 3 or 4.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, Kellyhero68 said:

OLC Bobby Johnson needs to go along with every guard on the team. Sign one or two above average guards and draft at least two more. 

This times 1000. First figure out if you want maulers or pullers. Given how athletic DT's have become they better factor in athleticism when selecting guards. Slow, immobile and unathletic gets your QB killed. Chris Jones and Cam Heyward might still be chasing Josh.

Mix in a couple of 1 tech DT's while your at it.

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2021 at 12:44 PM, BuffaloBill said:

“We’re gonna try our darndest to fix it. It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit up here and lie to you guys. To fix that part of your game this time of year is tough,” he said. “That’s why we try like heck to do it in training camp. That’s where you develop the toughness of the football team. That’s why we run the football in training camp.”

Sean McDermott quoted by Matt Parrino 

Clearly, he is not very happy with what Bobby Johnson and Brian Dabol have done with the run game.  To me this is an astounding statement from a head coach who was supposedly going to make a Super Bowl appearance this year.  

It would seem almost obvious that Johnson is as good as gone at the end of the year and Dabol may also be very much on the hot seat. What a change given Dabol was to be heading towards a HC’ing job at the end of this season. 

Is he blaming Daboll?   Or Bobby Johnson?  Or the players?  Or the guy who signed the players (Beane)?   Or himself for not getting more physicality out of his team?

It's not clear.

25 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Is he blaming Daboll?   Or Bobby Johnson?  Or the players?  Or the guy who signed the players (Beane)?   Or himself for not getting more physicality out of his team?

It's not clear.

Sounds like he’s saying his team ain’t tough enough to run the ball.  And the reason they ain’t tough enough is because they didn’t commit to running the ball earlier.  That points to Daboll to me.  

18 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Sounds like he’s saying his team ain’t tough enough to run the ball.  And the reason they ain’t tough enough is because they didn’t commit to running the ball earlier.  That points to Daboll to me.  

Brian Daboll to the passing offense is like what Greg Roman was to the running offense.

Just keep passing, just keep passing...

I still have difficulty understanding why this OC can't figure out how to defeat a cover 2 shell defense. Something he should have done in the second half of the very first game the Bills saw it. Half the season gone and he is still having trouble with it. 

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think this clip is basically right - he should have bounced it out - but it has been pointed out that Judon gained outside leverage on Spencer Brown and simply cut back inside when he saw the direction Moss was headed in. And while it's easy to criticize Moss, Morse is badly beaten there. The idea behind the play was for Morse to actually hold his block, and he completely failed. 

If your RB has a 1 on 1 vs a d-linemen, that’s about as good of a “win” as you can get.

You take the 1 on 1 all day, every day.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:42 AM, No Place To Hyde said:

You are correct to an extent, however how correct will never be known.

When we signed Feliciano at became very well known that he was brought in because Bobby Johnson went to bat for him. They had worked together before and Johnson LOVED Feliciano. I find it rather hard to believe that Daboll gets zero say so on personal but Johnson did. 

For all we know Motor, Moss, the linemen...were all requested by Daboll. 

What was Moss even doing in the game at that point when it was pretty clear he was our third best rb that night.  

On 12/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, Nihilarian said:

Brian Daboll to the passing offense is like what Greg Roman was to the running offense.

Just keep passing, just keep passing...

I still have difficulty understanding why this OC can't figure out how to defeat a cover 2 shell defense. Something he should have done in the second half of the very first game the Bills saw it. Half the season gone and he is still having trouble with it. 

I don't think it is Daboll who struggles with that.   It is Allen who struggles to make decisions when facing that defense.   Allen struggles because he is persistently looking for that deep ball first which is taken away at the snap because you have an extra defender defending each half of the field.   It begs you to run the ball and throw quick short passes and execute 12 + play drives for touchdowns.   The Bills have proven to be bad at that.   They don't execute short yardage plays well enough and consistently enough to do that.      Cover 2 combined with a high pressure pass rush is Allen's Kryptonite.

17 hours ago, PolishDave said:

I don't think it is Daboll who struggles with that.   It is Allen who struggles to make decisions when facing that defense.   Allen struggles because he is persistently looking for that deep ball first which is taken away at the snap because you have an extra defender defending each half of the field.   It begs you to run the ball and throw quick short passes and execute 12 + play drives for touchdowns.   The Bills have proven to be bad at that.   They don't execute short yardage plays well enough and consistently enough to do that.      Cover 2 combined with a high pressure pass rush is Allen's Kryptonite.

While I do agree that a heavy pass rush has been Allen's Kryptonite... since 2018 in his very first game against the Ravens. Baltimore dialed up the blitz and neither he, nor Peterman had an answer for it.

About that first 2018 game, a 3-47 loss with Bills QB's getting sacked 6x. Nathan Peterman played 3 quarters and went 5 of 18 for 24 yards, 2 INTs, 3x sacks. That final INT went for a Ravens TD. 11:22 to go in the 3rd quarter. 

First play was RB Murphy off RG for 3 yards, Allen's very first pass was deep right for Zay Jones, incomplete! Third play of that drive was a sack -4 yards. 

Even Peterman was attempting some long throws in this game. 

Now, why in the world would these two QB's be throwing deep at any point in this game given the tremendous pass rush by the Ravens? 

The very first series of this game the Ravens scored!  Peterman came in and threw 2 short passes and on 3rd and 11 he got his first sack attempting his third down pass. 

This whole thing tells me a few things. First off, QB Nathan Peterman was no where near ready to start that game at QB for Buffalo, and yet he got the start! The team had no veteran QB on roster other then the guy who had started two games in 2017. 

Second, it tells me that this OC had no clue about the defense his offense was facing or how to defeat it with two young QBs, one a rookie and the other very limited game experience.

The Bills RB's in this game were Marcus Murphy (6 rushes for 31) yards and LeSean McCoy

(7 rushes for 22 yards) Chris Ivory (3 rushes for 3 yards) a total of 16 rush attempts by the Bills RBs this day. Peterman had one rush for one yard. Allen went 4 for 26.

This entire game is a harbinger of what's to come for the Buffalo Bills. It tells me that Bills OC Brian Daboll had no clue about his QBs. This also says that his game plan stunk from the start. The Bills couldn't run... 16 rushes for 59 yards by the RBs. 33 pass attempts by QB's who were always under extreme duress from a fierce Ravens pass rush. 

You seem to think that Allen has autonomy out on the field and does whatever he wants. He doesn't, and no QB in the current NFL calls their own plays AFAIK. 

This Bills OC has been setting up his offense with mid to deep pass plays that don't work very well against a heavy rush. Those plays take 3-5-7 second drop backs for them to develop properly and the QB simply doesn't have that time in the pocket. 

This crap has been going on for forever with Daboll. In 2019 against the Ravens, Allen sacked 6x while attempting 39 passes. This OC is going to run his offense and it's all on the QB to make it work! 

"" It begs you to run the ball and throw quick short passes and execute 12 + play drives for touchdowns. ""

Isn't this the New England playbook year after year with Tom Brady, and now with Mac Jones? Power run game, move the chains again and again get to the red zone and score. 

In my view this is all on the Buffalo offensive coordinator who fails to build a decent ground game and puts everything on the QB. His offense calls for a lot of mid to deep passes regardless of the defense the team is facing. 

Allen made Daboll and not the other way around! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.