Did McDermott all but admit there will be coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball?

BuffaloBill

It's not any coaches fault that the Bills have the worst group of RBs in the league.  Even though I'm a big supporter of him, this is Beane's fault for not drafting a RB before the 3rd round.

BTW any of you "don't draft a RB in the 1st round group" need to look around the league and recognize that a running back helps the passing game by not letting a team be one dimentional as the Bills are since the RBs are no threat.   

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

If Josh hits the wide open man, a handful of times last night when it mattered, we easily win the game.

On the other hand, he threw at least three perfect passes that were flat-out dropped by the receivers. One would have been a TD - the one we needed to win the game.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Last year this organization of McDermott and Beane knew they were deficient in OL/RB. They got so caught up in the KC/ Mahomes narrative that they went DE on the first 2 picks.  So far these 2 plus AJ have not proven strong enough to stop the run. We needed to mix our picks better. Or at least make better decisions on FA's. Now they're basically forced to go 80% OL in this upcoming draft. And who knows where we'll get a competent RB?

I'd rather get my O-line fixed in free agency & get a RB or 2 early in the draft.  FA RBs either are nothing special like Breida or are way too expensive to sign & the good ones almost never hit free agency until they have little tread left on their tires.  

I think in the offense Mcdermott and Beane are going to make an effort to change the offense.  I believe Mcdermott doesnt like the style of play.  When they are clicking its fine but when they cant pass its an issue.  The team needs a better back another Te and interior lineman.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

“We’re gonna try our darndest to fix it. It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit up here and lie to you guys. To fix that part of your game this time of year is tough,” he said. “That’s why we try like heck to do it in training camp. That’s where you develop the toughness of the football team. That’s why we run the football in training camp.”

Sean McDermott quoted by Matt Parrino 

Clearly, he is not very happy with what Bobby Johnson and Brian Dabol have done with the run game.  To me this is an astounding statement from a head coach who was supposedly going to make a Super Bowl appearance this year.  

It would seem almost obvious that Johnson is as good as gone at the end of the year and Dabol may also be very much on the hot seat. What a change given Dabol was to be heading towards a HC’ing job at the end of this season. 

IMHO...0% chance Johnson is back.  If less than zero was a thing, I would say less than 0% chance he is back.

Daboll I will put at 25% chance to return.  I think he leaves via another job or is flat out replaced if he doesn't figure out how to bounce back from this the rest of the season.

I have always had a love hate relationship with Daboll.  There is a lot to love, but there is a lot to loathe too.  He has no idea how to build a schematic for running the ball, he is overly gadgety, he gets too cute too often in critical moments, he often does the opposite of what he should do, and is terrible OC in the red zone.  

That being said, he has also had some bright moments and been key in Allens development.  So I cant say he will for sure be gone like I can with Bobby, but he is without a doubt on a hot seat if we continue to struggle to close when in the red zone and struggle to run the ball.  

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

How's this for a stat- Allen played in 1 game with a 100 yard rusher, Motor in 2019. ONE GAME 2 years ago!!😡😡😡😡

You can't make this stuff up. Passing O or not this is Ridiculous that our run gm is this bad , even with a dynamic pass game. Imagine 17 with a respectable run game? He'd be MVP every year.. 

Look what Thurman did for Jim Kelly.  

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IMHO...0% chance Johnson is back.  If less than zero was a thing, I would say less than 0% chance he is back.

Daboll I will put at 25% chance to return.  I think he leaves via another job or is flat out replaced if he doesn't figure out how to bounce back from this the rest of the season.

I have always had a love hate relationship with Daboll.  There is a lot to love, but there is a lot to loathe too.  He has no idea how to build a schematic for running the ball, he is overly gadgety, he gets too cute too often in critical moments, he often does the opposite of what he should do, and is terrible OC in the red zone.  

That being said, he has also had some bright moments and been key in Allens development.  So I cant say he will for sure be gone like I can with Bobby, but he is without a doubt on a hot seat if we continue to struggle to close when in the red zone and struggle to run the ball.  

I think Josh saves Daboll, but I think McDermott is fed up with Daboll.  Mac should look in the mirror, though.  My big issue with this team this year is lack of focus.  Loafed against Pittsburgh, took Jax for granted, diddled around and lost the Tenn game.  Too many drops and stupid mistakes on the offensive and special teams side of the ball.  And I wonder how the room feels about him after the McKenzie comments.  I don’t trust McKenzie, either, but it kind of feels like he was singled out.  Singletary is regularly casual with the ball,  Knox drops a bunch of passes, Brieda let it hit the carpet a couple of times last night.  Maybe we can’t treat all of the clumsy player the same way because there’s too many of them.  I don’t know.  But this looks to be reaching crisis mode in a lot of areas for this team. 

22 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

On the other hand, he threw at least three perfect passes that were flat-out dropped by the receivers. One would have been a TD - the one we needed to win the game.

The diggs throw was gorgeous in the stadium.  Beautiful ball in that wind.   

Sean McDermott is probably around the 10th best coach in the league.  Belichek, Vrabel, Reich and Tomlin are all better coaches than McDermott. We lost to all of them.  Even with a top 5 QB, 10th best coach means watching other teams in the Super Bowl perpetually.  We are in coaching purgatory.  Changing Daboll (even now) couldn't hurt.  

2 hours ago, BBills_88 said:

Daboll has not been consistent since the passing of his grandparents. 

This has not been mentioned much but I have been thinking about it. I am sure Daboll has a ton.

I think this easiest way to “fix” things for this year are to let Daboll call his game, what worked last year. Everything goes through Josh basically. After the season make coaching and personnel changes. 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

“I want to run the ball better not rely on Josh’s arm”. 

The guy has a Ferrari (in Josh) and wants to go the speed limit in the city and not even take it out on the highway, he’ll use his beat up pickup for that.

Edited by Best Williams Available
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Stop trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. Even if the coaching were better, we do not have the personnel on the Line or in the Backfield to be anything more than middle of the pack. Jeremy White put out a tweet today that I agree with:

Put Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, and Davis out there with Knox and cut them loose out of the Shotgun. Mix in the occasional tailback run and Josh scramble here and there. Stop trying to force the running game. We didn't have one last year either. Don't reinvent the wheel.

It seems by reading this thread that some fans can't tell the difference between being a pounding running team and just, you know, being able to execute running plays.

You have to be able to at least be an average team running the ball. Or just have good schemes that are effective.

I don't think anyone wants more running. Just don't be an embarrassment to the sport trying to run. You cannot just pass the ball every play despite what some people say.

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

What if Josh says he wants Daboll?

He will say that because that's the kind of kid he is.

But the 25 year old doesn't get a vote.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He's OK when McD keeps him tightly leashed but that's not something the HC and defensive architect needs to be worrying about.

I often wonder how much more dangerous Allen might be with a couple years under a traditional veteran, more detail-oriented coordinator.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

“We’re gonna try our darndest to fix it. It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit up here and lie to you guys. To fix that part of your game this time of year is tough,” he said. “That’s why we try like heck to do it in training camp. That’s where you develop the toughness of the football team. That’s why we run the football in training camp.”

Sean McDermott quoted by Matt Parrino 

Clearly, he is not very happy with what Bobby Johnson and Brian Dabol have done with the run game.  To me this is an astounding statement from a head coach who was supposedly going to make a Super Bowl appearance this year.  

It would seem almost obvious that Johnson is as good as gone at the end of the year and Dabol may also be very much on the hot seat. What a change given Dabol was to be heading towards a HC’ing job at the end of this season. 

I’m not sure how you can build a team that passes on 2/3 of their plays and a defense that plays nickel as their base defense, and then wonder why you aren’t tough and can’t run the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I see this a lot all over this board.

Why can't he?  All the great QBs do it all by themselves, consistently, game to game, for years.

Brady has been doing it for 2 decades.

If Josh hits the wide open man, a handful of times last night when it mattered, we easily win the game.

Brady has been doing it "all by himself" for years.

Riiiiiigggght.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.