Did McDermott all but admit there will be coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball?

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's astounding how far their OL has fallen off of a cliff from last year.

I knew they were middling in the middle.........but they have gone from that to terrible this season.    Feliciano has been a bust after losing a bunch of weight and apparently power and then getting injured again.   Boettger went from promising long term backup type to garbage.   And I have long been critical of him, but can't even believe how Cody Ford has managed to regress.

And the tackles..........Williams has been atrocious at RT after being excellent there last season.    I could see a drop-off but this can only be explained by a lack of preparation and want-to.

The other tackles:   Dawkins f*cked around and ended up nearly dying from Covid and has subsequently been a weakened and inconsistent version of himself.    Then Brown misses games after passing on the vax. :doh:

The OL is a prime example of what can happen when you promise love and trust in a sport that has survived on fear and accountability as the primary motivators for all of its existence.

Last year we used lot's of motion and the Jet Sweep was in the game plan.  Something has happened in the office that has caused us to dumb down our offensive game plans.  

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there are weeks this year when this board has given Josh an undeserved pass when he has been part of the problem. But last night Josh Allen was excellent. One poor sack aside he played an excellent game. If Dawson Knox catches either of the third down conversions that hit him right in the hands, or Diggs catches a touchdown that for a player of his ability is a gimme or Brieda manages to take a routine handoff, or Knox manages not to false start..... 

This was not on Josh. 

Allen was outstanding last night.    

As much as I'd be happy that we won if I were a Pats fan...........I would have come away from that game a little discouraged knowing that my long term solution at QB is likely Mac Jones in a division with Josh Allen in it.    Allen was far better last night than he was in that Ravens playoff game last season in similar wind conditions.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

As much as I don’t like McDermott, he’s still not as much of a bum like daboll 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

“We’re gonna try our darndest to fix it. It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit up here and lie to you guys. To fix that part of your game this time of year is tough,” he said. “That’s why we try like heck to do it in training camp. That’s where you develop the toughness of the football team. That’s why we run the football in training camp.”

Sean McDermott quoted by Matt Parrino 

Clearly, he is not very happy with what Bobby Johnson and Brian Dabol have done with the run game.  To me this is an astounding statement from a head coach who was supposedly going to make a Super Bowl appearance this year.  

It would seem almost obvious that Johnson is as good as gone at the end of the year and Dabol may also be very much on the hot seat. What a change given Dabol was to be heading towards a HC’ing job at the end of this season. 

If he takes this offense back to the Stone Age. I will be calling for his head. 

how about he FIND his ***** spine and stop coaching scared. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, atomicpwrd said:

I was praying Daboll was going to get picked up as a HC last year...he has an occasional well called game, but they are few and far between.  Those that don't think you need a run game are delusional and have not been paying attention this year.  You need to force the defense to defend the ENTIRE field to be successful on offense.  Josh can't do it all himself...a run game would take some of the pressure off...

How's this for a stat- Allen played in 1 game with a 100 yard rusher, Motor in 2019. ONE GAME 2 years ago!!😡😡😡😡

You can't make this stuff up. Passing O or not this is Ridiculous that our run gm is this bad , even with a dynamic pass game. Imagine 17 with a respectable run game? He'd be MVP every year.. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

I understand this statement. I am the same. I want the modern offense and if we go back to a Run First run heavy offense and play defense wanting to win games 17-14. With a Stud 1/4B QB. I am done with McD and will be calling for his job. 

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Allen was outstanding last night.    

As much as I'd be happy that we won if I were a Pats fan...........I would have come away from that game a little discouraged knowing that my long term solution at QB is likely Mac Jones in a division with Josh Allen in it.    Allen was far better last night than he was in that Ravens playoff game last season in similar wind conditions.

The Bills were the better team last night. That would worry me as a Pats fan. If the Bills make any of about 5 or 6 routine plays in the game (and I mean routine plays not 'that woulda taken something special but he had a chance' type plays) the Bills win. If they make 2 or 3 of them they win going away. 

This wasn't a win for Belichick's coaching (as much as I totally subscribe to him as the goat). It was a win gifted by the Bills screwing up some basic, basic plays. Block, catch, tackle. 

As Chan Gailey once said "plays are more fun that fundamentals. Fundamentals are more important than plays."

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Baldy just posted some plays on Twitter. The entire OL gets zero push. We lose double teams, LB’s beat down our OG’s, and we don’t move the LoS at all. 

Daboll calls HB dives because if we execute, we get 4 and if we don’t, we get 1 or 2. If you start running traps and counters and tosses and other slow developing run plays, we will get -4. I take 2nd and 9 over 2nd and 14 all day every day.

Team is fundamentally flawed. There is no one on the OL that should be safe next year. Maybe Spencer Brown.

Thank you! Well stated. The OL is garbage, period. And we MUST be able to effectively run the ball if we want to win! If you cant run you are one dimensional (see Buffalo Bills) which means teams can put up 3 or 4 DL against your trash OL, stop your run game and put pressure on your QB. I cant understand how so many Bills fans cant accept that a decent run game is necessary for the passing game to be effective. oh, and having an OL that can pass block and run block well too. 

1 hour ago, BBills_88 said:

Daboll has not been consistent since the passing of his grandparents. 

I said the same thing last night. 

Daboll is the master of the "one dimensional offense".  Yea lets keep him so we don't run the ball in BUFFALO.  Did you happen to watch how the Patriots beat us?  It's kind of important to have a solid run game in BUFFALO, even if you have a QB with a rocket arm.  So there will never be bad weather games again in the future in buffalo since the future is "passing"? LMAO.  You need BALANCE to have a good offense in the NFL.  Run game is all about toughness and this O line is as soft as a baby's a$$ right now.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1

You want to fix the run game McSpineless feed Brieda and Singletary. Nah Bench him in the 1st for a fumble. That will do it. 

also you have a weapon running the ball McSpineless in 17 but you don’t want him running either. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

If he takes this offense back to the Stone Age. I will be calling for his head. 

how about he FIND his ***** spine and stop coaching scared. 

They don't need to go back to the stone age.    They need to be able to get under center,  utilize play action and let Allen beat teams over the top.   Offenses like that have produced some of the highest point totals in NFL history.    Like they looked in the Jets game.   That's not really how they are built though.    They are built to run a spread offense and get the ball out quick,   which leaves you vulnerable to a myriad of mistakes and negates the advantage of having such a gifted thrower of the football.    

Wouldn't take a lot of expensive changes to become that team.    Not sure wicky-wacky Daboll is the right guy to call that offense though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

go watch the Pittsburgh game week 1…. That’s what happens when defenses play the pass and dare your team to the run the football.  

People forget that Pitts absolutely wrecked the bills o line with 3 and 4 man pass rushes.

That was the biggest issue.

Sure you need to run a bit and keep teams off balanced.

But if the line would have just played average in pass pro, they would have crushed Pittsburgh 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is a very prevalent question. 

Personally if McDermott wants to ask questions about the run game the first person he should be asking is his buddy in the GM chair. We lead the league in running back fumbles. All three of those players we brought in by Beane. Our interior line couldn't push cotton candy. They were all acquired by Beane. I put the redzone struggles somewhat at Daboll's door. It is something he has been good at the past two years but a combination of teams keying in on tendencies and some odd choices of calls at times have hurt them (though so has execution). 

The struggles in the run game...... IT. IS. PERSONNEL. If anyone thinks swapping out an OL coach or an OC but running it back with these players would change anything they are kidding themselves. The run game wasn't good last year when our offense was breaking records. Was it still the OC and the OL coach's fault then? Or is it two years of the same average and poor players on the interior of the offensive line and the average to below average running backs. 

Both our OL and Running Backs are small by todays standards… This is on Beane, his scouts, and his recent draft picks…

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They don't need to go back to the stone age.    They need to be able to get under center,  utilize play action and let Allen beat teams over the top.   Offenses like that have produced some of the highest point totals in NFL history.    Like they looked in the Jets game.   That's not really how they are built though.    They are built to run a spread offense and get the ball out quick,   which leaves you vulnerable to a myriad of mistakes and negates the advantage of having such a gifted thrower of the football.    

Wouldn't take a lot of expensive changes to become that team.    Not sure wicky-wacky Daboll is the right guy to call that offense though.

so want to run ball McSpineless then why did you not do a damn thing in the offseason to address that. But hey you did get your premier picks on defense. 

no RB in the 3rd or later. Not premier OL. But glad you double dipped at DE to give them 20% or so snaps a game (when your 2nd rounder is even active). 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.