Snap Counts vs. Pats, 12/6

The Frankish Reich

First, for the Pats on offense:  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-13-game-recap-new-england-patriots-14-buffalo-bills-10

In a game in which they ran the ball on 48 of their 51 offensive snaps, the Patriots often deployed their “jumbo” package. That lead to some of the wonkiest play-time numbers that we’ve seen all season.

Mac Jones and his starting offensive line were the constants in this one, with each of those six players going the distance on Monday, while reserve lineman Michael Onwenu got a 61% share of his own as the “blocking tight end” for the night. Jonnu Smith, who actually gets paid to play tight end, also played a big role in the running game having played 76% of the snaps himself. Jakob Johnson (49%) even beat out Hunter Henry (29%) to be the third man in line, as Jones’ favorite red zone target wasn’t needed much in the run game.

And for the Bills on defense against that jumbo package?

- Levi Wallace: 100% of snaps

- Dane Jackson: 100%

Who were they covering? That Offensive Lineman who was the "blocking tight end"?

We don't have a lot of LB/safety options to bulk up against the run, particularly with Klein out (waiting for the vax update ...).  But maybe:

- Siran Neal: 33%

- Tyler Matakevich: 4%

Even Jerry Hughes was on the field for only 49% of snaps. I thought the rotation of pass rushers was because they tire themselves out, you know, rushing the passer all over the field ...

They went heavy. We stayed light. McD and Frazier do know that when the offense substitutes you get a chance to substitute yourself so you don't have 179 lb Levi Wallace trying to tackle a 245 lb RB?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’d also like to see the wide receiver snap count. This isn’t really the game to harp on it but once again Davis outproduces Sanders. On likely far fewer snaps.

Refusing to run Allen in this game while gladly running him against other meaningless opponents is the most head scratching thing for me that McDermott and Brian Daboll did.

9 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

good points, also want to know how many snaps the nickel CB - T Johnson took ?

43% of snaps for Taron. So unless my math is really worse than I think it is: we had 3 CBs on the field at a time for nearly half of the Pats offensive snaps. In a game where they threw the ball 3 times. 

And we wonder why the bulldozed us for 220 yards.

• Like (+1) 2

Sanders productivity has taken a hit for several games now - the novelty has worn-off and vets like him and Beasley arent much of the gameplan or the play calls or the execution thereof ? he also blocks Davis ?  any issue with next years WR corp:  Diggs, Davis, Speedy, Kumerow (slot) Isaiah Mac ?  plus a draft pick ?

Weird thing is everyone - including on TSW - said "let's make Mac try to thrown in bad weather." 

And then we didn't.

Oh, we had 9 or 10 men in the box on many occasions, but we learned that it also matter WHO those 9 or 10 men are. Levi Wallace, Taron, Dane, the safeties, Tremaine, Milano ... where's the big guys to stop the bulldozer?

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

43% of snaps for Taron. So unless my math is really worse than I think it is: we had 3 CBs on the field at a time for nearly half of the Pats offensive snaps. In a game where they threw the ball 3 times. 

And we wonder why the bulldozed us for 220 yards.

And we knew they had Mac Jones that would be throwing the ball even if they tried. Not Brady, Rodgers, etc. There should have been zero fear of the passing game. 

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I’d also like to see the wide receiver snap count. This isn’t really the game to harp on it but once again Davis outproduces Sanders. On likely far fewer snaps.

Refusing to run Allen in this game while gladly running him against other meaningless opponents is the most head scratching thing for me that McDermott and Brian Daboll did.

Well you'll be happy to learn that Gabe was out there for 28% of snaps vs. 79% for Sanders.

And we just didn't have the bodies on offense to go "heavy" - Knox played 97% of snaps, Sweeny 22%. No fullback, so that wasn't an option, and McD wasn't doing the Pats thing and using an O lineman as an extra "blocking TE" (why not?). So the heaviest we went was 2 tight ends - both receiver-first types if you ask me - on the field at the same time in about 20% of our snaps. Which left us in 3 receiver sets a lot of the time in a game that screamed "run the damn ball."

Other than Sanders over DAvis, I really don't have a problem w/ the offense snap counts.  Sanders is a better deep threat, but Davis is still a competent receiver who causes concerns/respect & is the FAR better blocker.

As for not going heavy, an argument can be made (which I subscribe to), if we go heavy, we're still not going to be able to run effectively.  We need the fear of the pass to have any hope of a competent running game.  I was pleasantly surprised that we actually had a somewhat effective passing game.

As for the defense snap counts - WTF.  So many times, you saw 180 lb DBs being blow up by 300 lb pulling linemen (as expected).  Midway through the 2nd quarter, it was apparent that they weren't going to be throwing much unless that absolutely had to.  Why not use some of these 9 or however many DL we had active more than 4 at a time?  Christ, let Boogie play CB.  Our defense was probably giving up like 500 lbs to their offense.  Yes, we were able to shoot some gaps & make some tackles for loss, but not as many as 10+ yd runs we surrendered.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.