Are Daboll and McDermott on the Same Page or at Odds With One Another?

Nextmanup

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

From the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3002629/2021/12/07/a-disconnect-brewing-between-sean-mcdermott-and-brian-daboll-7-observations-from-the-bills-loss-to-the-patriots/

When asked if he felt offensive coordinator Brian Daboll was doing a good enough job, McDermott didn’t give his usual line of “We all need to be better and that starts with me.” Instead, his message was clear and his comments were subtly the biggest indicator to this point of his frustration with the offensive game plan, and by proxy, Daboll.

“Well I didn’t think, honestly, we took advantage of opportunities tonight. I really didn’t. The ball is at the 40-yard line. We’re 1-for-4 in the red zone. We’ve got to figure that part of it out.”

That was the most direct answer about Daboll, but McDermott provided subtle hints before that point. McDermott pushed back when asked if he wondered about his team’s lack of physicality not being a fit for how to win games this time of year.

“That has not been my message from day one, I can promise you that. If you were in the team meetings in training camp, you would know what style of offense I want,” he said. “That identity needs to embody toughness.”

About the red zone woes, McDermott said, “Just no rhythm. No rhythm, really, down there.” And then simplifying it all, with an allusion to the last time there was some frustration with the offensive game plan years ago, the coach said, “You’ve got to score more points. That’s the name of the game. Score more points.”

Is it possible that McD is unhappy with the make up of roster?  He wants more physical lines and BB has built more finesse type lines on both side of ball?

17 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

This years offense is so much more predictable than last years. I could see them being at odds.  Last night I was calling the plays from the couch and nailed about 90% of them. We need to find a way to thrive on offense in bad elements.  

"Yep, Spider 2 Y Banana. I knew it!!!"

The playcalling has sucked this year.  I dont know how else to say it.  it's bipolar.  Either cutesy gimmick play, or Moss into OL's back.  On top of that, zero in game adjustments, and even the hero ball element is gone.  They've taken the interesting aspects of the O and eliminated them in favor of...something that doesnt work

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

The playcalling has sucked this year.  I dont know how else to say it.  it's bipolar.  Either cutesy gimmick play, or Moss into OL's back.  On top of that, zero in game adjustments, and even the hero ball element is gone.  They've taken the interesting aspects of the O and eliminated them in favor of...something that doesnt work

That statement would seemingly suggest that yes, there is a bit of a run-in between OC and HC.

Like we aren't sure what the identity of the team should be.

I would love to know if McD and Daboll really do disagree over concepts and play design during the week.  I have no idea.  I'm not in there.

We need a "Hard Knocks: Buffalo" edition.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s got no one to blame but himself…. It’s the same line that struggled to run the ball last season. They did nothing to improve it…. Only difference this year is they are forcing a square peg into a round hole when it comes to the run game and for the most part it’s just wasted downs… specifically in the red zone where they are struggling. 

That’s what I don’t get.  It is largely assumed that the roster and philosophy of how this team is built comes from both BB and McD as a team.  The perception was this is what they both felt was best way to build, play and win.  

Yet, his actions and words as a coach scream that he wants the exact opposite.  I’m just beginning to wonder if it’s not McD that doesn’t fit how this team is built and wants to play.

Edited by Billsflyer12

5 minutes ago, motorj said:

I'll back daboll 99% of the time, maybe mcd is forcing him to make those silly 1yrd runs up the middle

McD doesn't design the offensive plays. I think it's pretty clear that McD communicates the kind of identity/mentality/scheme he wants the coordinators to install. Then he empowers those coaches to decide how to do it. If you have a problem with the specific plays, e.g. "1yrd runs up the middle," that is all Daboll.

Defense is probably a different story, but it's been obvious when McDermott has gotten more involved in the past, like taking play calling duties from Frazier. It's no mystery.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.